• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dark Knight Rises Reviews

1,012 posts in this topic

Major spoilers, end of movie is going to be discussed. Do not read if you have yet to see the movie!

Here are my thoughts! SPOILERS!

I honestly had a hard time with the emotional impact if this movie. Batman is my favorite costumed hero, and I like him more than any other related (or non relatable) super-hero. That being said, I did not like the ending, as a possible fourth movie (which was never really on the table anyway) is out of the question.

Major Spoiler:

Batman had to die for Bruce Wayne to live. I have a hard time with this; even though I accepted it and saw it coming. I also have an issue with how easy he forgave 'catwoman.' Someone who sells me out to a monster who breaks my back, puts me in hole, and causes the death of countless citizens because I am too weak to save them; doesn't deserve to be forgiven that easy in my opinion, even if she did fire the shot that killed Bane.

I did like the movie, as it is one of my favorite Batman movies (the whole trilogy is). I also liked the story line about 'Robin.'

In conclusion, I have a problem with the fact every ten to twenty years we do a whole new origin and trilogy on the same character. It is ashame that all these characters and stories that we love have had to end. I only wish a fourth and fifth movie where made. Who knows, maybe Batman will comeback? I need that more than anyone else...that is my whole issue with the conclusion of this trilogy.

That being said, don't let my issues ruin this spectacular (yet somewhat flawed) film.

Respectfully,

'mint'

SPOILERS:

My rating for this movie is right near RT at 8.5 out of 10.

I took this as a war movie, more guerilla war, but war.

So I can see bats forgiving her because he needed her, but that he

ended up garnishing a relationship with her in his private life is odd.

I love 85% of this movie and here are the minor things that I wasn't really a fan of...

The movies musical score for instance. The composition seemed unfresh to the point of

a broken record and it felt like you were being beat to death with it. Music should never detract from a scene - it should add to it. We get the point that this is sequel to DK - enough already.

Other than that and it being a little long - I thought the part were the cop and thugs were

facing off seemed a little nutty - almost like Nolan always wanted to film a F.I.S.T. type of

movie with with the riot police vs the union. No modern day police force would march in like that against heavily armed assailants- they would be coming in guerilla style from all directions. I know time was a factor, but effective cover would help more troops reach the objective. It just seemed like that was an high noon decoration for the battle between bats and bane. But I guess this is forgivable because if they got too war realistic ( a real conflict would be a blood bath) it would make it an R rated movie.

But over all these minor distractions, doesn't keep this from being a classic.

I love that Bane character, and I understood him just fine...

I LOL'ed when he he was listening tot he boy singing the anthem and said "He has a beautiful voice" almost like Stewie would say "you made the cut and I won't kill you when I take over the world".

Great Flick!

I can't wait to IMAX it!

:applause:

In conclusion, I have a problem with the fact every ten to twenty years we do a whole new origin and trilogy on the same character. It is ashame that all these characters and stories that we love have had to end. I only wish a fourth and fifth movie where made. Who knows, maybe Batman will comeback? I need that more than anyone else...that is my whole issue with the conclusion of this trilogy.

I don't think thats true in this case as Batman's origin was never fully delved into by Burton in the 1st film, we just had a flash back of his parents murder at the hand of Jack Napier. Nothing was ever shown as to what or who helped Bruce Wayne become Batman.

Nolan did this with Batman Begins and that made Bruce Wayne a more entertaining character then Burton ever achieved.

SPOILERS SPOILERS

There could be room for a 4th, Blake (Robin) takes up the mantle or his own guise, gets in too deep with a major villain and Bruce Wayne comes back to take up the fight once again, they could even call it "The Dark Knight Returns" lol

There could be room for a 4th, Blake (Robin) takes up the mantle or his own guise, gets in too deep with a major villain and Bruce Wayne comes back to take up the fight once again, they could even call it "The Dark Knight ReReturns, Again, Part 4" lol

Fixed. (thumbs u

I don't think thats true in this case as Batman's origin was never fully delved into by Burton in the 1st film, we just had a flash back of his parents murder at the hand of Jack Napier. Nothing was ever shown as to what or who helped Bruce Wayne become Batman.

Nolan did this with Batman Begins and that made Bruce Wayne a more entertaining character then Burton ever achieved.

SPOILERS SPOILERS

There could be room for a 4th, Blake (Robin) takes up the mantle or his own guise, gets in too deep with a major villain and Bruce Wayne comes back to take up the fight once again, they could even call it "The Dark Knight Returns" lol

:popcorn:

SPOILERS SPOILERS

But wouldn't your logic would indicate that both series of films (the Nolan trilogy vs. the Burton films) could stand together? In Batman Begins, we are told that 'street thugs' linked to organized crime, killed Bruce's parents; while in Burton's Batman, we are told The Joker (or the man who would become The Joker) kills his parents. Both sets of movies vastly contradict one another.

Even worse, now we have a whole new Superman series of films coming out. I personally, am not thrilled by the trailer...or the possibilities. It falls under the been there, done that category. Why can't they make a Wonder Woman movie instead? (Note: yes, I do know the history as to why it never made it into production).

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Saw the movie yesterday.

I'm not putting a spoiler alert because I figure if you haven't seen the movie you won't be trying to look at this particular thread. *lol*

1) Well, the movie was long, but I actually would say the movie wasn't long like "lord of the rings, i'm ready to go home and this movie is STILL going".

It had me wanting to find out more about the story and how it would end.

2) As with everyone else, Bane's voice was hard to understand at some times, I couldn't make out what he was saying and was relying on the actors expressions of what he was saying. I wonder if the producers have people look at the scenes who don't know the -script to see if they could understand him?

3) I was glad Catwoman wasn't a major part of the movie and had roles that didnt' take away from the movie..it seems most trilogies ALL OF A SUDDEN HAVE TO INTRODUCE a female character as a love interest and takes over the movie..her role as just right.

4) Would like to see another one..with possibly Killer Crock or introduced as he meets Bane (Bane escapes in the tunnels after the aftermath.) or actually Clay Face.

5) Bane's voice..again..*lol* When I was watching it I was thinking "he sounds like someone" , but I wasn't thinking Liam, I was actually thinking Apocalypse on the X-Men cartoon!!!!

Saw it last night. Overall, nicely done and it ties together with the first two films. Cat woman and Bane were great. Anne Hathaway played a great Catwoman and it was cool to see the Cat and the Bat team up. The unexpected kiss before the final scene was "expected". I kept thinking Bane was straight out of the movie Gladiator when I looked at his mask. Huge imposing dude who gave the Batman a run for his money.

Only thing I wanted to see more was of Batman himself. There was more hand to hand combat with Batman in this one. I missed the gadgets (outside of the Bat plane) and trademark Batman theatricals we saw in the first two films...Such as how Batman broke in and kidnapped Lao and escaped from Hong Kong...Nolan's music was again very thrilling and heart stopping. Great to see how Batman is challenged to be Gotham's hero. Amazing to see how Gordan, Fox, and Alfred really care about Batman and Bruce.

Nolan's style is what seperates Batman on the big screen from Spider-Man, Iron man, Avengers, X-men, etc. He has a way of bringing drama and suspense in the plot so we are not just being entertained by super powers or special effects costumes or stunts.

Here's a great 5 min trilogy summary I found :)

Check out this video on YouTube:

Too many people know that Bruce Wayne is Batman for him to die. There will be more movies after how much money this makes and how much the fans want it. They left more than enough hanging.

As for him forgiving Selina, I see it the same way he didn't kill Joker at the end of part 2.

Saw it yesterday. I would give the film an 8 out of 10. It is still not the best superhero movie of all time. Superman: The Movie continues to hold that title. Raimi's Spider-man 2 still my second favorite. DK3 much better than Amazing Spider-Man (I gave it a charitable 6 out of 10), and at least as good as Avengers (an 8 out of 10), with a slight lead given to DK3.

The Good:

* -script. A complex, though-provoking, character-developing -script.

* Acting. Very good acting. Gordon-Levitt. Oldman. Cotillard. Caine. Hathaway. Freeman. Devane (all 5 seconds, lol).

* Action. Lots of it. Well-choreographed fight sequences. I like to see real actors fighting, not electronic cartoons. Plenty real fighting.

* Honoring the Legacy. The reference to the Robin character in a very veiled way was perfect.

The Not Good:

* The plane-jacking sequence at the beginning. Laws of physics being defied.

* Too long. 15 to 25 minutes easily could have been cut out. Did we really need to see Bruce Wayne try to jump out of that LOS pit three times spread out over 20 minutes or so?

* Bruce Wayne's cartiliage damage suddenly disappeared when he was holed up at the LOS homebase?

* Bane. Couldn't understand what he was saying sometimes. Looking forward to the DVD so I can put on the sub-titles.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in theatres again.

Saw the movie yesterday.

I'm not putting a spoiler alert because I figure if you haven't seen the movie you won't be trying to look at this particular thread. *lol*

1) Well, the movie was long, but I actually would say the movie wasn't long like "lord of the rings, i'm ready to go home and this movie is STILL going".

It had me wanting to find out more about the story and how it would end.

2) As with everyone else, Bane's voice was hard to understand at some times, I couldn't make out what he was saying and was relying on the actors expressions of what he was saying. I wonder if the producers have people look at the scenes who don't know the -script to see if they could understand him?

3) I was glad Catwoman wasn't a major part of the movie and had roles that didnt' take away from the movie..it seems most trilogies ALL OF A SUDDEN HAVE TO INTRODUCE a female character as a love interest and takes over the movie..her role as just right.

4) Would like to see another one..with possibly Killer Crock or introduced as he meets Bane (Bane escapes in the tunnels after the aftermath.) or actually Clay Face.

5) Bane's voice..again..*lol* When I was watching it I was thinking "he sounds like someone" , but I wasn't thinking Liam, I was actually thinking Apocalypse on the X-Men cartoon!!!!

Speaking of Clayface, I thought that sometime was going to unfold about him since I kept hearing "Dagat" throughout the movie.

I actually liked Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. Thought she played the part great...

As for a sequel; I can hope, but after seeing how it ended, it is hard. Wayne Manor is now an orphanage for crying out loud. Let's face it, Christopher Nolan really wnated to do his best to ensure that other directors (and writers) could not do much with what is left...

I saw it yesterday and really liked it. In fact, I like it more as I think about it. Because it's only natural to compare, I thought Avengers was more fun but this movie had me thinking more.

Anne Hathaway is far better than I expected. Best movie Catwoman for me hands down. Bane was better than expected though the "voice" didn't seem to match the image for me.

It was a bit long and didn't have the "can't take my eyes off" character like the Joker. But those movies are few and far between. (Joe Pesci in Goodfellas, Marlon Brando in the Godfather, Sean Connery in the Untouchables, etc.)

Great way to wrap up the trilogy and nor descend into "camp".

I saw it yesterday and really liked it. In fact, I like it more as I think about it. Because it's only natural to compare, I thought Avengers was more fun but this movie had me thinking more.

Anne Hathaway is far better than I expected. Best movie Catwoman for me hands down. Bane was better than expected though the "voice" didn't seem to match the image for me.

It was a bit long and didn't have the "can't take my eyes off" character like the Joker. But those movies are few and far between. (Joe Pesci in Goodfellas, Marlon Brando in the Godfather, Sean Connery in the Untouchables, etc.)

Here is an interestng trivia question for future DKR fans..

Did you know that Ann Hathaway is never referred to as Catwoman not even once.....! :banana:

I think the quality of the theater you were in really probably has something to do with how likely you are able to understand everything bane says. I saw it in a brand new IMAX and I understood everything he said clearly. The sound was loud and crystal clear the whole time.

Here is an interestng trivia question for future DKR fans..

Did you know that Ann Hathaway is never referred to as Catwoman not even once.....! :banana:

i said that on the way home, she also doesn't interact with any either that i can remember

Saw it today. Was a very satisfying movie and conclusion to the trilogy. Fortunately, I avoided all the pre-movie discussions (including the boards :P ) so was happy to see the twists unfold - I actually bought the initial notion that Bane was Ra's child before the twist later on. Acting performances were good all around, though I agree that it was difficult to hear some of what Bane was saying.

Selina riding the Batcycle was way cool in many ways! lol Was also fun seeing some of the Pittsburgh scenes.

I agree that comparisons with The Avengers aren't appropriate as these are completely different movies (I like the Shakespeare vs Dickens analogy).

Can't wait to see it in true Imax!

Just saw the film at this morning's matinee (IMAX).

It was great, an awesome conclusion to the trilogy.

I also had trouble understanding Bane on occasion.

SPOILER - a clarification in the form of a question from those who have seen it, or if someone sees it again and to make a point to notice something:

When Batman is flying the bomb out over the ocean, we see him in the cockpit and the time is counting down to detonation.

My memory is 5 or 6 (4?) seconds left to detonation and Bruce is still shown in the jet. Was this correct?

If I’m not misremembering, how did he get far enough away from the nuclear explosion (6 mile radius?) in 5-6 seconds and survive?

I take it he possibly ejected from the vehicle and the jet continued on autopilot. Given Nolan's fairly realistic take in his storytelling during the trilogy, Alfred seeing Bruce was kind of a WTF moment for me.

Did Alfred really see Bruce at the end? Or was it just wish fulfillment, given Alfred’s grief and “failure” (in his eyes) to protect Bruce?

I mean, Bruce didn't really see Ra's al Ghul (in the flesh) earlier in the movie. It was a vision, right?

Considering Alfred’s earlier conversation with Bruce, he really wanted to see him at that particular cafe, in that particular situation. And sometime after burying Bruce, Alfred goes to that cafe. What are the odds?

Purposefully ambiguous, or is it just me?

As I said, I loved the movie. Just wondering what others thought.

I'm sure that I'm in the minority but here are my thoughts on the movie:

- Having not really read any Bat books, I found the whole pit thing hard to follow...

- The whole Ra's flashback sequence I felt was also confusing.

- I loved the soundtrack, acting, and FX, but feel that the screen write could have been tighter

- I hate when I have to read the comic or rewatch previous movies to follow the story?

- Struggled with Bane's muffled voice

- I prefer the first two movies in the trilogy

I'll likely go see it again and see if it's easier to follow...

Just saw the film at this morning's matinee (IMAX).

It was great, an awesome conclusion to the trilogy.

I also had trouble understanding Bane on occasion.

SPOILER - a clarification in the form of a question from those who have seen it, or if someone sees it again and to make a point to notice something:

When Batman is flying the bomb out over the ocean, we see him in the cockpit and the time is counting down to detonation.

My memory is 5 or 6 (4?) seconds left to detonation and Bruce is still shown in the jet. Was this correct?

If I’m not misremembering, how did he get far enough away from the nuclear explosion (6 mile radius?) in 5-6 seconds and survive?

I take it he possibly ejected from the vehicle and the jet continued on autopilot. Given Nolan's fairly realistic take in his storytelling during the trilogy, Alfred seeing Bruce was kind of a WTF moment for me.

Did Alfred really see Bruce at the end? Or was it just wish fulfillment, given Alfred’s grief and “failure” (in his eyes) to protect Bruce?

I mean, Bruce didn't really see Ra's al Ghul (in the flesh) earlier in the movie. It was a vision, right?

Considering Alfred’s earlier conversation with Bruce, he really wanted to see him at that particular cafe, in that particular situation. And sometime after burying Bruce, Alfred goes to that cafe. What are the odds?

Purposefully ambiguous, or is it just me?

As I said, I loved the movie. Just wondering what others thought.

i was abit confused with that but you didn't really see him inside, you saw him against a chair as a background, i thought it was something to do with going through the building when it explodes??? how did he get back to Gotham???

Alfred saw him and Selina in the cafe yes...