• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

See my custom CGC storage unit...

57 posts in this topic

I would like to copy this design, but seperate units with tops...instead of storing six, only two..I love the idea...very awesome..

This is my project as soon as I return from down range. I have to make the edging higher to make the top though hm

Isn't wood the worst possible archiving solution for paper? Far worse than polybags or most other types of man-made plastic? I thought wood was inherently highly acidic.

Isn't wood the worst possible archiving solution for paper? Far worse than polybags or most other types of man-made plastic? I thought wood was inherently highly acidic.

Pine contains resin acid - not sure what it does to paper or plastics, or how much/little it takes to do damage. Interesting catch...

I do love the container - very cool.

Pine contains resin acid - not sure what it does to paper or plastics, or how much/little it takes to do damage. Interesting catch...

I'm under the impression that any type of wood, paint, and varnish all break down and off-gas faster than just about any plastic does. Some woods break down slower than others, but they're all acidic as far as I've heard. As is true of other types of acidic storage items (polybags, cardboard comic boxes, unbuffered acidic backing boards, etc), it would only matter and become visible on comics in the form of darkened pages over the course of decades. Some of the worse woods might cause a noticable difference in less than a decade, although I vaguely recall that pine degrades comparatively slowly yet still isn't what conservators call "archival" due to the acid it does release over extended lengths of time.

I agree though, the craftsmanship is killer. :applause:

I'm under the impression that any type of wood, paint, and varnish all break down and off-gas faster than just about any plastic does. Some woods break down slower than others, but they're all acidic as far as I've heard. As is true of other types of acidic storage items, it would only matter and become visible on comics in the form of darkened pages over the course of decades.

I'll probably be in a pine box in decades. lol

I'm under the impression that any type of wood, paint, and varnish all break down and off-gas faster than just about any plastic does. Some woods break down slower than others, but they're all acidic as far as I've heard. As is true of other types of acidic storage items, it would only matter and become visible on comics in the form of darkened pages over the course of decades.

Be sure to get graded beforehand! You're gonna want to be slabbed when you're on the slab.

A friend of mine did something like this. Looked beautiful hung up on his wall filled with a lot of slabbed books. That was until he heard a load crash one night and found a lot of his slabs cracked with his shelf laying on the floor. The weight of all the slabs pulled all the mounting anchors out of the wall. He has plasterboard walls. And the anchors he used didn't hold over time.

If your going to mount it up on a wall make sure you anchor it really good. You don't want the same thing happening.

That's the thing about proper storage that prevents people from caring--you're usually doing it for the next guy who owns it in a decade or four, not for you. :blush: The vast majority of white-paged books are due to great storage conditions achieved entirely by accident. :ohnoez:

Be sure to get graded beforehand! You're gonna want to be slabbed when you're on the slab.

:signfunny:

A friend of mine did something like this. Looked beautiful hung up on his wall filled with a lot of slabbed books. That was until he heard a load crash one night and found a lot of his slabs cracked with his shelf laying on the floor. The weight of all the slabs pulled all the mounting anchors out of the wall. He has plasterboard walls. And the anchors he used didn't hold over time.

If your going to mount it up on a wall make sure you anchor it really good. You don't want the same thing happening.

Nope, mine is on the floor where it stays. You would not believe the weight AFTER I put the slabs in. No way I'd suspend this unit. Very good point though. (thumbs u

Fire, acids, insects, accidents, all could happen. Wood hates fire and bugs.

That's the thing about proper storage that prevents people from caring--you're usually doing it for the next guy who owns it in a decade or four, not for you. :blush: The vast majority of white-paged books are due to great storage conditions achieved entirely by accident. :ohnoez:

There are probably 5 collectors in this entire hobby who hold books for more than a year.

I've really developed an appreciation for collectors who buy for keeps only. My return to collecting is contingent upon doing this myself. I'm only going to buy books I'm prepared to keep for the long haul.