• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection Intervention

84 posts in this topic

My fiance and I saw the commercial for this and she started laughing.

Luckily my GF is actually encouraging me to keep my collection. Any girl who wouldn't accept one of the biggest part of your life is not worth marrying. Either get a new hobby or get a new girl.

I guarantee my wife would be gone before my collection,if she didn't approve. :taptaptap:

Yours and mine both brother. (thumbs u

These guys know what's up

Luckily my GF is actually encouraging me to keep my collection. Any girl who wouldn't accept one of the biggest part of your life is not worth marrying. Either get a new hobby or get a new girl.

there was a time when we had money problems, and my GF took out a loan instead of me selling off a few expensive books. she wouldn't allow me to sell off books that she knew meant a lot to me. my money problems didn't last long, and i still have the books. of course, still have the GF in my life too (and if anyone ever ends up being my wife, it'll be her).

oh yeah, she also wants us to dress up as the blues brothers (my all time fav. movie) at a comic convention at some point.

Nice. Good luck man. Me and my fiancé usually hit up cons with matching or themed shirts. Went to DKR last Sat with matching new SDCC/Batman shirts on.

there was a time when we had money problems, and my GF took out a loan instead of me selling off a few expensive books. she wouldn't allow me to sell off books that she knew meant a lot to me. my money problems didn't last long, and i still have the books. of course, still have the GF in my life too (and if anyone ever ends up being my wife, it'll be her).

oh yeah, she also wants us to dress up as the blues brothers (my all time fav. movie) at a comic convention at some point.

Nice. Good luck man. Me and my fiancé usually hit up cons with matching or themed shirts. Went to DKR last Sat with matching new SDCC/Batman shirts on.

it's wonderful having someone who takes an interest in your hobby.

it's wonderful having someone who takes an interest in your hobby.

Thanks man. I haven't even mentioned the movies and TV shows she's trying to catch up to.

Often, the problem with shows like this, is that the so - called 'experts' involved don't actually have the niche expertise required. Just because you know a lot about 17th Century French furniture doesn't mean you know your AF15's from your Turok 1's. 2c

There was a show somewhat similar to this starring Lee & Leslie Keno of Antiques Roadshow fame. People needed to raise money for something, so Lee & Leslie would go through their house looking for items to bring to auction to raise the funds. I think it was on PBS

That was BURIED TREASURE on Fox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buried_Treasure_%28TV_series%29

I watched it - only a few eps (4 or 5) were aired. I enjoy the Keno brothers a lot on ANTIQUES ROADSHOW but there was something about them in BURIED TREASURE that was kind of creepy. Still can't put my finger on it.

yup. They also seemed to have had about 14 surgical procedures each.

It wasn't a bad show though. Focussed a lot more than most shows on the human element of all this and the much-needed medical bills or whatever else that this windfall would get them.

My wife, who doesn't normally watch collectibles shows, liked it for that reason.

The Keno Brothers are highly respected in the antiques business. They are considered to be at the very 'top tier' of the trade; and are what most dealers aspire to be.

At this level, selling only ten or so items a yer yields a lot of profit because the items they tend to sell retail for in some instances hundreds of thousands of dollars or more. There are some antique dealers that will literally sell only a handful of items a year and make more than any other comparable dealer in the business.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I noticed that with Hollywood Treasures. Only a hand full of items and big money is made.

...and on a side note: My friend who is getting a divorce. Has to split his comic collection with his wife. Even thought she doesn't know squat about comics, she knows they could be worth something.

...and on a side note: My friend who is getting a divorce. Has to split his comic collection with his wife. Even thought she doesn't know squat about comics, she knows they could be worth something.

Wow. It never ceases to amaze me how vindictive and needlessly hurtful people are towards each other. Why doesn't this lady just say "You take the comics, I'll take the furniture" and leave it alone?

Wow. It never ceases to amaze me how vindictive and needlessly hurtful people are towards each other. Why doesn't this lady just say "You take the comics, I'll take the furniture" and leave it alone?

Cuz its all about the money...... doh! Poor chap!

On a brighter note I hope the collectors are portrayed in this show positively... :wishluck: Respect for what they have accomplished is important for the feel of the show... at least for me....

Don't be too proud of this hobby you've enjoyed. The ability to collect comics is insignficant, next to thousands of scrutinizing and apathetic viewers.

I guarantee my wife would be gone before my collection,if she didn't approve. :taptaptap:

yeah, it's so much more satisfying to make love to your AF 15. :eyeroll:

It's the principle Jeffro. My collection is a part of me,and my life.You don't just throw that in the sh-tter,do you? If she loves you she should accept your hobbies,no?

Yah, wondering how these guys are gonna let go of there collection. they attained for years. plus most of there things are organized. like other poster said. They could just get a storage unit case closed... that life sized vader is cool.. similar to having a suit of armor..

It's the principle Jeffro. My collection is a part of me,and my life.You don't just throw that in the sh-tter,do you? If she loves you she should accept your hobbies,no?

If you love her do you kick her to the curb for comic books?

Of course not,but marriage is a compromise,I've dealt with her Beanie Babies fad.I mean c'mon a man can only love so far. lol

Of course not,but marriage is a compromise,I've dealt with her Beanie Babies fad.I mean c'mon a man can only love so far. lol

Of course it's a compromise. However when people state that their "wife would be gone before my collection, if she didn't approve", I think that either they are not being serious or they have their priorities seriously up. I love comic books. I've loved them since i was a small child but they are far from the most important thing in life.