• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did a Postal Employee steal my "registered" comic?

303 posts in this topic

I've bought & sold on ebay for years and just when you think you've seen it all (in regards to fraud & thievery) something new happens.

I bought an AF15 3.0 SS about a week ago. Here's the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251101870738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1326

I asked the seller to send it registered mail, which he did. Registered mail is kind of slow because it requires a signature every single time it exchanges hands along the route.

I've been on a business trip all week and my wife has been vacationing in Spain. So I get home today and log onto ebay and see that there is a tracking number next to the Af15 on my "purchases page". I click on the tracking number and it says my AF15 was delivered yesterday! Wha...???

I called the USPS and asked them if the mail man could have made a mistake. She told me the delivery is not confirmed unless the registered mail is signed for.

So who the heck signed for it?????? And where is it????

I have a thought that a postal employee might have my AF15. They wouldn't have known what was inside the box but it was registered and insured so they may have figured out it was worth a lot and forged my name.

Someone is probably going to jail on this one.

The post office has started an investigation and told me they will give me an initial report tomorrow. I know they have a copy of a signature (not mine) that released the package so I'm really curious as to what the signature looks like.

It's definitely not the sellers fault because he sent it registered and the tracking shows all the stops along the route. It looks like it happened right at the end (like maybe my own mailman, gulp). The post office also assured me that registered mail is NEVER just left at a house.

I called ebay and they said that since what they see on their computer screens shows the package was "delivered", it means the seller is safe and that I'm going to have to have the police get involved. Ugh!!!!!

The comic cost $5600. I'm kind of freaking out right now.

Has anyone had this same particular experience????

Any Postal workers on the boards here want to enlighten me as to what may have happened?

That sucks man, sorry!!!

I didnt have the "same" experience but definitely a bad one with registered mail. when i bought my 7.5 Avengers 1 from Roy, he sent it registered mail. He sent it like April 21st with a expected delivery date of April 26 or something like that. I kept checking the tracking and it just said "Arrived in Buffalo, NY April 23" for like 2 weeks. I called and called and called as now it was like May 4th and still no book. All they could tell me was "we have no idea where it is or why it hasnt been logged in for 2 weeks but in 20 years i've never heard of a Registered mail being lost so it will show up eventually". Made me feel a TINY bit better but not exactly what i wanted to hear for a book approaching 5 figures!

eventually it did arrive like 11 days late but i was NOT a happy camper for those 2 weeks!!! :censored:

I've bought & sold on ebay for years and just when you think you've seen it all (in regards to fraud & thievery) something new happens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251101870738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1326

I asked the seller to send it registered mail, which he did. Registered mail is kind of slow because it requires a signature every single time it exchanges hands along the route.

I've been on a business trip all week and my wife has been vacationing in Spain. So I get home today and log onto ebay and see that there is a tracking number next to the Af15 on my "purchases page". I click on the tracking number and it says my AF15 was delivered yesterday! Wha...???

I called the USPS and asked them if the mail man could have made a mistake. She told me the delivery is not confirmed unless the registered mail is signed for.

I have a thought that a postal employee might have my AF15. They wouldn't have known what was inside the box but it was registered and insured so they may have figured out it was worth a lot and forged my name.

The post office has started an investigation and told me they will give me an initial report tomorrow. I know they have a copy of a signature (not mine) that released the package so I'm really curious as to what the signature looks like.

It's definitely not the sellers fault because he sent it registered and the tracking shows all the stops along the route. It looks like it happened right at the end (like maybe my own mailman, gulp). The post office also assured me that registered mail is NEVER just left at a house.

I called ebay and they said that since what they see on their computer screens shows the package was "delivered", it means the seller is safe and that I'm going to have to have the police get involved. Ugh!!!!!

Any Postal workers on the boards here want to enlighten me as to what may have happened?

Sorry to hear this. What a nightmare.

I'm a postal worker in Canada. Item should indeed be tracked and signed for as it moves through the system. You should be able to go on-line and view the signature.

I don't remember if it shows it on the label... but can you extrapolate the Amount of Insurance based on the cost of the package?

I.E. Could someone figure out that something in the package was insured for $5000 based on the postage amount?

Just curious... hm

I don't remember if it shows it on the label... but can you extrapolate the Amount of Insurance based on the cost of the package?

I.E. Could someone figure out that something in the package was insured for $5000 based on the postage amount?

Just curious... hm

I dont think think the insurance value is on the package. But it would be hard for someone to look at the shipping price and figure high value

I work for the Post Office and I will tell you this, they will take this VERY SERIOUS! don't let it go and push the issue. If the carrier misdelivererd it he will lose his job, if he took it he's cooked. IMO you should call the postal Inspectors and get them involved. mess like this gets me pissed! I take my job serious and some tool does this! It makes all Postal employees look bad

Sorry to hear this. What a nightmare.

I'm a postal worker in Canada. Item should indeed be tracked and signed for as it moves through the system. You should be able to go on-line and view the signature.

If he cant send my the # and I'll get it

Where do I find the number for the Postal Inspectors? I live in Atlanta. Is there a regional PI?

The postal employee was very nice on the phone, but she said she couldn't tell me anything until some investigating is done.

I figure with registered mail, with all of the required signatures along the route, that this will be a fairly easy case to pinpoint the culprit. But I gotta say.... I'm pretty worried on this one.

That sucks man, sorry!!!

I didnt have the "same" experience but definitely a bad one with registered mail. when i bought my 7.5 Avengers 1 from Roy, he sent it registered mail. He sent it like April 21st with a expected delivery date of April 26 or something like that. I kept checking the tracking and it just said "Arrived in Buffalo, NY April 23" for like 2 weeks. I called and called and called as now it was like May 4th and still no book. All they could tell me was "we have no idea where it is or why it hasnt been logged in for 2 weeks but in 20 years i've never heard of a Registered mail being lost so it will show up eventually". Made me feel a TINY bit better but not exactly what i wanted to hear for a book approaching 5 figures!

eventually it did arrive like 11 days late but i was NOT a happy camper for those 2 weeks!!! :censored:

I don't use registered mail anymore for a similar reason. A good buddy of mine and I made a trade, in person, but his end of the trade had to be mailed. It was a Human Torch (GA) #1. He sent it registered mail, and he lived (at that time) less than a three hour drive away. It took three weeks to get to me, and the post office had no idea where it was for most of that time.

I haven't seen a product offered by USPS that does point-to-point tracking when it's just delivery confirmation service. It's usually "Item dropped-off at postal office" and one (two at the most) more updates after the item is delivered.

If thats the only # you gave me its not registered. it might just be del comp. I'll check the number at work, if it does not give me a option to see the sig then its just Del comp.

It definitely lists it as "registered" when I look on the USPS site, but it also says delivery conf