• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did a Postal Employee steal my "registered" comic?

303 posts in this topic

Keep in mind... USPS Registered Mail does not protect a buyer from a seller sending an empty box or the wrong merchandise. So, you can sign that you received a package, but there's really no proof of whether the contents are accurate.

If you remember, during the holidays a few seasons ago, people had bought and even returned video game units to Best Buy which consisted of a real box filled with telephone books to replicate the content weight.

So, it would be very easy to sell a high end book and ship out a dollar bin book instead. I think that's where eBay's feedback system comes into play to increase your odds for trust, buying from sellers of high reputation and historical sales.

Also, if you make purchases via your credit card, sometimes you'll have protection from your credit card company for reimbursement.

Got it, when you get the Reg # I'll look it up for you at work.

This is what I love about this place.Someone who barely knows you,who lives thousands of miles away from you is there to help in any way they can.It might be the wine cooler talkin',but I really think you guys are the best,and I'm proud to know you all. (worship)

:grin:

What's with you and wine coolers? lol

I hope for his sake he's actually a woman otherwise :facepalm:

Even privately drinking a wine cooler is grounds for permanent man card revocation! Admitting it publicly?!? I don't think a man has EVER done that so we haven't thought up a proper punishment yet! hm

If they're good enough for Bruce Willis, they're good enough for me.

It's too soon to freak out - the USPS tracking info can be worthless, don't trust it. Unless they have a signature on file for the delivery I wouldn't be worried.

The likelihood that it was stolen by a postal worker is practically nil. There is someone on the hook for the package, in writing, wherever it goes. If it disappears while you are on the hook, it's your job and possibly worse. The people on the hook take it pretty serious.

The downside is these packages take a "different path" at the postal facility. Since they have to be kept under lock and key, they can get put in out of the way places.

I remember one year I was on vacation when I received 5 or 6 30-book packages from CGC. My post office doesn't have a vault to keep stuff of that size in....they put them on a tall rack and had a huge burlap bag over the rack that was locked tight at the bottom when I came back. They were glad to see me.

Ok, so if registered mail is NOT way to go, what is?

What is the concensus for shipping high end comics?

FedEX priority overnight for expensive stuff.

Only if you have private insurance!

My insurance company insists on FedEx

It's too soon to freak out - the USPS tracking info can be worthless, don't trust it. Unless they have a signature on file for the delivery I wouldn't be worried.

The likelihood that it was stolen by a postal worker is practically nil. There is someone on the hook for the package, in writing, wherever it goes. If it disappears while you are on the hook, it's your job and possibly worse. The people on the hook take it pretty serious.

The downside is these packages take a "different path" at the postal facility. Since they have to be kept under lock and key, they can get put in out of the way places.

I remember one year I was on vacation when I received 5 or 6 30-book packages from CGC. My post office doesn't have a vault to keep stuff of that size in....they put them on a tall rack and had a huge burlap bag over the rack that was locked tight at the bottom when I came back. They were glad to see me.

I just dropped off my box of books going out for sigs @ SW Celebrations via USPS registered mail.

Impossible for it to be stolen by the USPS employee as once it goes registered it gets put under lock and key at every stop. They have a log of how enters that area with cameras. Registered is definitely the way to go.

But dear god man! 6 x 30 book boxes?!

WOW. How much did that run you? :)

Collectibles Insurance works for me and covers up to $60,000 per package if shipped with signature via FedEx overnight or USPS express overnight. I never do registered anymore.

I hope your AF15 is safe and shows up to your door :wishluck:

Be happy that the package was sent registered mail. In the very least you'll have a signature.

Some time ago I was shipped an $800 comic. The seller shipped the package priority mail with tracking (he thought he had insured the package but in checking with his PO informed me that the shipment was made without insurance). . A few weeks later I e-mailed to inquire about the package. The seller gave me the tracking number. I looked it up and read that the package was delivered as per the PO. Without a signature a tracking number is almost worthless.

I live in a doorman building in midtown Manhattan. We also have a full time employee who is responsible for the mail and all packages. Every parcel is signed in when delivered to the building. We checked the log and the package never was signed for. The concierge and the doormen are all thirty year employees. I myself have lived in the same building for almost as long. I have never before or since have a package go awry. I had the PO investigate. An inspector came to talk to the concierge. The PO said it was delivered. The concierge had no record. Without a signature the trail went cold.

The package never surfaced.

So...like to us lot in Australia, you live in one of those "CSI / SVU" crime scenes..awesome!

Doormen..we call them bouncers in Australia!

Check with your next door neighbors. Chances are they signed for it.

I had a similar experience once with plain old insured mail. A neighbor picked the package up a from my front porch. It was a nice genture, only thing is he forgot about it and it sat in his vestibule for a month before he remembered to deliver it to me.

8milemax did some detective work for me and was able to get a photo of the signature (I love how helpful people on the boards are!!!)

The signature is not mine (obviously) and is not even a forgery of my name. I don't have a clue as to who it might be.

My neighbor has never signed for a package and I have never approved of that with my carrier so I doubt they would do it with a Registered package.

Somebody signed for it!!!!!! Something smells fishy here.

I better call the Postal Inspectors.

Geez, I was really looking forward to laying my hands on that comic. I wonder if I'll ever see it now.

8milemax did some detective work for me and was able to get a photo of the signature (I love how helpful people on the boards are!!!)

The signature is not mine (obviously) and is not even a forgery of my name. I don't have a clue as to who it might be.

My neighbor has never signed for a package and I have never approved of that with my carrier so I doubt they would do it with a Registered package.

Geez, I was really looking forward to laying my hands on that comic. I wonder if I'll ever see it now.

Man, that just stinks. I hope you get this resolved. Good luck.

Hopefully, this gets straightened out soon. :wishluck:

My insurance company insists on FedEx

What does your insurance company say if Customs hacks your books up while inspecting your parcel? Do they waive any liability like Fedex does?

I've recalled the story before about the my mail carrier leaving a register mail envelope in my mail box with the signature log still attached to it.

When I called the post master (who happened to know me really well) he was at my house in a matter of minutes to retrieve the sig log and needless to say he was pretty upset.