• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boston Area Collectors?

44 posts in this topic

I want in on a monthly meetup plus I might check out that show. Looks like it's in the Best Western right off 93 in Woburn. When I was in Philly, we had a similar, bi-monthly event in a hotel and it was always fun.

Nothing like monthly hotel get togethers with a bunch of dudes packed into a small room, amirite?

I brought my girlfriend to the Woburn show once. She made it about 8 minutes, mildly checking out a TMNT 1 3rd print because it was the only property she recognized, then sat in the lobby typing into her Blackberry waiting for me to be done. She has not come again. But I think the shows are great, although they can be a little sparse come winter.

I am very jealous that you live in Newton. I can't think of a better place to live. I used to be in the Boston area, but moved about 5 years ago.

That's Entertainment in Worcester has a very large back issue selection. Also check out The Outer Limits in Waltham and Webhead Enterprises in Wakefield. Bedrock Comics in Framingham tends to get in collections and blow them out at nice prices, rather than keep a large inventory - you can get great deals there but you have to keep checking in.

Every store I just mentioned is clean, well-run, and professional as well.

Yup. It's been years since I've been to That's Entertainment in Worcester, but every time I've been there they've had an amazing selection and a helpful staff. Absolutely worth a trip. I'll never forget buying my first copy of Reform School Girl from them back in the early 90's. It was seventeen-fifty. As in seventeen dollars and fifty cents. Even though it was missing a CF, I felt I got a great deal.

I can also recommend Webhead (never been to the store, but have bought from them at shows), and I'd HIGHLY recommend Superworld.

Sorry I haven't got any new and exciting stores for you... just echoing what some others have already mentioned.

Depending how far east you're willing to travel, Gary Dolgoff Comics has a massive warehouse you can visit in Easthampton which I've always found to be all kinds of awesome. It's located in an old mill by a river so ceilings are probably 30-40 feet high and he's got rows of longboxes on shelves that probably run 12 feet tall - very impressive. A deep selection of copper, bronze and silver is available with multiple issues of a lot of stuff to make it a fairly convenient spot to fill runs.

Gary usually also has boxes of silver on special for anywhere from $5-$15, making a visit a bit like a mini-con, at times. He also has a fair amount of original art, though limited slabs.

I know some boardies have thrown out the "he's living on reputation" claim, but I've always found his grading to be very tight - his VGs I've seen countless other dealers call VG/FNs, easy.

And to echo what others have said, Outer Limits and That's Entertainment are both cool shops worth checking out. (thumbs u

Depending how far east you're willing to travel, Gary Dolgoff Comics has a massive warehouse you can visit in Easthampton which I've always found to be all kinds of awesome. It's located in an old mill by a river so ceilings are probably 30-40 feet high and he's got rows of longboxes on shelves that probably run 12 feet tall - very impressive. A deep selection of copper, bronze and silver is available with multiple issues of a lot of stuff to make it a fairly convenient spot to fill runs.

Gary usually also has boxes of silver on special for anywhere from $5-$15, making a visit a bit like a mini-con, at times. He also has a fair amount of original art, though limited slabs.

I know some boardies have thrown out the "he's living on reputation" claim, but I've always found his grading to be very tight - his VGs I've seen countless other dealers call VG/FNs, easy.

And to echo what others have said, Outer Limits and That's Entertainment are both cool shops worth checking out. (thumbs u

One of these days I really have to get out there and check Dolgoff's place out. I have been trying for years to get it planned.

I brought my girlfriend to the Woburn show once. She made it about 8 minutes, mildly checking out a TMNT 1 3rd print because it was the only property she recognized, then sat in the lobby typing into her Blackberry waiting for me to be done. She has not come again. But I think the shows are great, although they can be a little sparse come winter.

Haha. Real nice job exposing the GF to that. :facepalm:

I'm from Boston, actually Lynn. I will organize a meet-greet for us local boardies, just as soon as I get back from Vegas lol. As far as shops, new England comics has good silver and golden but all raw. They are very anti slabbed books there, as is most lcs. Harrison's is ok, expensive though. Comically speaking has good priced back issues. Web-head is junk. Chris's is ok....not much good back issues though and it's mostly filled with smelly kids playing card games all the time. The Larry's show is ok for some book, but nothing really key. It's lots of long boxes with mid-grade back issues. It's a great show for filling in runs. I got a good deal of my ASM run there. I'll be there next weekend. We should link up on that day.

I'm from Boston, actually Lynn. I will organize a meet-greet for us local boardies, just as soon as I get back from Vegas lol. As far as shops, new England comics has good silver and golden but all raw. They are very anti slabbed books there, as is most lcs. Harrison's is ok, expensive though. Comically speaking has good priced back issues. Web-head is junk. Chris's is ok....not much good back issues though and it's mostly filled with smelly kids playing card games all the time. The Larry's show is ok for some book, but nothing really key. It's lots of long boxes with mid-grade back issues. It's a great show for filling in runs. I got a good deal of my ASM run there. I'll be there next weekend. We should link up on that day.

Hey Spidey, is Cole's Comics still around in Lynn?

Yes it is...or I should say "he" is. It's a guy around 70 years old that is nearly blind that just sells books from a rented apartment. The guy is super nice but doesn't have anything worth buying. When you do find a book he might have it will have a lot of flaws (like writing on the cover) and he will just use the over street guide for a price with no regards to the flaws. I'm not sure how he does it. It's towards downtown Lynn, not in an area you want to be around :)

I also just realized the Larry show was yesterday. In thought it was next Saturday. I'll still put a meet-greet together when I get back.