• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book pressing

42 posts in this topic

The question was - who else?

In the order I found them with a Google search

www.classicsincorporated.com

www.comicpressing.com

www.cfpcomics.com

www.eclipsepaper.com

www.therestorationlab.com

www.comicsinaflash.com

www.qualitycomix.com

www.herorestoration.net

I don't believe that pressing counts as restoration as I've never seen anything to suggest that it does and I also think there would be a lot more marked as restored if it did. Also see the link below -

http://www.classicsincorporated.com/services_pressing.htm#is_pressing_resto

I'm just providing this as a reference since they specifically answer your question and also label themselves as a service CGC recommends. (I myself just shipped some books to Joey today)

Regarding disclosing pressing whenever you know one way or the other it seems that general guidelines are to divuldge the information. Some people will purchase a well presenting lower grade book hoping to press it and submit it for a shot at a higher grade and it might help them to know if this process has already been performed. I'm sure different pressing techs and different pressers have different degrees of success but eventually a book is going to be as good as it can be (when all pressable defects have been pressed out) and it won't get any better. Just nice from a buyer's standpoint to know.

The question was - who else?

In the order I found them with a Google search

www.classicsincorporated.com

www.comicpressing.com

www.cfpcomics.com

www.eclipsepaper.com

www.therestorationlab.com

www.comicsinaflash.com

www.qualitycomix.com

www.herorestoration.net

Brent no longer offers it.

does pressing count as restoration?

should you disclose that you had it pressed when you sell it?

You should make a new thread about it in Comics General so you can receive a proper answer to your query.

does pressing count as restoration?

should you disclose that you had it pressed when you sell it?

You should make a new thread about it in Comics General so you can receive a proper answer to your query.

lollol

so is it considered restoration

No, it is NOT considered restoration. CGC has arguably but effectively become the final word on grading and they do not consider pressing to be restoration.

so is it considered restoration
Run a search, this is the topic that made the boards what they are today. There are probably 200 threads on this topic and many of them are full of useful insight and made for some great Saturday afternoon reading. The answer is: there is no answer. CGC says no. Others say yes.

One argument says anything that changes paper from one state to another (better) state is restoration.

Another argument says that pressing and dry cleaning aren't actually removing or adding to the paper of the comic book therefore they don't fit within the same category of restoration as color touch, trimming, adding rice paper etc. In fact, some (including CGC) say theses techniques are not restoration at all.

There is also an argument that says many comic books have been pressed in the past without disclosure (with dealers making a profit) and also many books have been accidentally "pressed" in long boxes and in piles. The argument says that declassifying dry cleaning and pressing gives everyone a level playing field.

A point frequently made is that it is simply too hard or impossible to detect dry cleaning and pressing hence why bother trying.

How do you feel about it yourself:

(A) Would you disclose a Miracleman #15 CGC 9.8 was pressed to a CGC 9.9 when you sell it on eBay?

(B) As a buyer would you like to know that the Albedo #2 CGC 9.8 you want to bid on was previously a 9.4?

© As someone who buys books at one grade and gets them pressed to a higher grade, would you like to know that the Bone #1 CGC 9.2 you want to bid on had already been pressed (hence much lower probability of it upgrading when you get it pressed)?

I suspect the debate will go on but people entrenched on each side are unlikely to change their stance; others can see both sides and some are simply not bothered.