• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's happening to your books?

What I'm doing with my collection  

378 members have voted

1. 1. What I'm doing with my collection

59 posts in this topic

I've started thinking what I intend to do with my collection in the coming years.

It's something that I've never really thought about, but now that I'm getting (a little bit) older lol I have started to wonder what I'm going to do with my books... Will I keep them and hand them down to a family member? Will I sell them and use the money for something else before it's too late? My books aren't worth a lot at all but I wondered if anyone considers these factors when buying their books...or if they have an "end point" to their collecting or a long term plan.

I vowed to myself when I started my third round of comic collecting that I wouldn't sell this collection like I did with my others. So - barring any major disasters - I should have this collection for the rest of my life. Since I have no children of my own or siblings, I'm sure my wife will blow them out at 10¢ on the dollar.

If I happen to outlive my wife, I think I'll sell them at some point right before the end and get me a roomful of hookers and pay a bonus to any girl who can instigate a heart attack.

I really wish I could say I'll leave all my collectibles to my kids to enjoy, but the fact of the matter is, they have no interest in any of it. They'd probably take everything to the nearest shop and just accept whatever 1st offer made to them. They just don't care.

That said, I'll probably sell at some point to get as much as I can for them to supplement my old age (if Iive that long).

If I happen to outlive my wife, I think I'll sell them at some point right before the end and get me a roomful of hookers and pay a bonus to any girl who can instigate a heart attack.

Be sure you specify the method.

One thing I have heard from collectors leaving various hobbies, is that it is just as much fun selling your collection as it is putting it together. Fun im guessing because of the returns they see. (Unless all you collected was Valiant comics)

Make sure you're not in Thailand. You might get a heard attack from something else....

It's a mixed bag for me.

1. There is a part of the collection I will never sell because it has meaning to me that is more than monetary. When I say never, I mean never in reality. If someone offered me 10x market, I would obviously sell it.

2. There is part of the collection that I went a bit overboard with because the completion-ist side of me just had to fill in those holes in runs that I didn't really have interest in the material. Those are currently being sold off.

3. There are some books that currently have value that I personally believe may not have as much value in coming years and I don't have a personal attachment to or have read. Those are on the chopping block and the funds are going in to savings.

4. Then there is other stuff that I am not attached to that I am parting with to fund the purchase of other stuff that I previously could not afford or have realized should be the real focus of my collection.

So, in summary... money and more books. :whee:

The sale of my collection will both fund retirement, and give me something to do in retirement.

I vowed to myself when I started my third round of comic collecting that I wouldn't sell this collection like I did with my others. So - barring any major disasters - I should have this collection for the rest of my life. Since I have no children of my own or siblings, I'm sure my wife will blow them out at 10¢ on the dollar.

You can go out like Al Bundy would want to go out, with a slice of pizza in one hand and a greasy hooter in the other. Live the dream my friend

Hopefully, my collection will go to my son :wishluck:

He's turning 8 soon and at the moment is really into comics and superheroes. Who knows what will happen when he gets older but hopefully he stays interested in collecting comics. I don't expect HOPEFULLY to leave him my boxes and boxes of 80's and 90's drek I have. I don't know when or how but someday hopefully I can get rid of those somehow since they take up WAY too much room. I would REALLY like it though to be able to leave him my slabs and especially my Avengers runs. If he ends up selling them someday after I'm gone, so be it but it would be nice for him to also have a son who he gets into comics and keep passing them down.

Maybe someday my great great grandson can actually have the #1 Avengers registry set! :cloud9:

I used to think I would hand them down to my kids. My son sort of likes the idea that one day they will go to him, but he has no real interest in the books. My daughter doesn't care at all. So, I've about come to the conclusion of unloading them and let it help fund whatever will make me happy in my retirement....that is if I make it to retirement and i'm not drooling on myself in some nursing home. Then I probably won't give a rat's what happens to them.

sounds like a plan Balls (thumbs u

I will retire in 18yrs, it has been my dream for awhile now to open up a brick and mortar comic shop when I retire.

I imagine a large two story building fully remodeled. Lower level would have new comics, graphic novels, statues and whatever is "the thing" at that time.

Upper level would be high grade silver/bronze with golden age books and original art.

So my collection by then, will hopefully fill the walls with quality material.

I will retire in 18yrs, it has been my dream for awhile now to open up a brick and mortar comic shop when I retire.

I imagine a large two story building fully remodeled. Lower level would have new comics, graphic novels, statues and whatever is "the thing" at that time.

Upper level would be high grade silver/bronze with golden age books and original art.

So my collection by then, will hopefully fill the walls with quality material.

Why wait? Sounds like a business idea not retirement!

I've actually been buying less and less as the years go buy. And selling off most of what I have. I have 2 daughters, they have no interest in any of my hobbies and I have no interest in trying to move a bunch of books when i'm 70 years old.

Am I growing up? Growing old? Getting bored?

I don't know what it is but I find myself putting more money into other hobbies and next to none into comics.

Outside of picking up a few more dupes of a personal favorite book of mine I likely won't buy another book this year. Well, maybe 1 or 2. :)