• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*Closed* Ebas Blank Sketch Cover Op

255 posts in this topic

I think if a deal is arranged privately by whomever for whomever, then....whatever, deal with it however you like.

BUT if its an official CGC SS sketch opp, there should be some type of standardized form used which is signed by the facilitator applying for the opp and the people getting into the opp, as well as the artist. This form would included price points and terms and remedies. This would make everything clear and provide more legal protection for everyone involved. Yes it might scare some artists away, but I think responsible and professional artists would benefit more as a result, and it would make things easier for facilitators as well, they have to answer less questions from customers and the artists. I just don't think there's any harm to it, and its a minimal effort for CGC to create one (IMO). The terms don't have to be standard, but they do have to be set BEFORE the opp is approved.

Some artists (not all) just see sketch opps and commissions as 'side projects' to work on if they literally have no other paying work to do. So if they happen to get busy or go on a vacation or get a more interesting commission or get put on a new book 3 months from now, your commission (and all commssions) gets put on the back burner. And honestly, there's nothing wrong with that, as long as its made known up front (could take 2 years, you can ask for a refund after that).

It sounds like CGC will review for potential changes/improvements to CGC SS this fall. Facilitators out there might want to consider bringing this up with them. But what do I know?

In this case, I think it's pretty evident that Eric continues to take NEW commissions at cons without fulfilling the obligations he has to the op participants. That's what has to make this extremely distasteful. This is not a situation where he's so busy that they are on the back burner. New money is much more important than already spent money!

While I agree that this can be aggravating when you've been waiting a long time and the artist has taken your money and then seems to be slacking off, I also understand the separation of con sketches and home commissions/ops. It would be a bummer for fans visiting a con hoping to get a sketch from an artist to be told that he is busy all con with home commissions. And I'm sure the artist would like to sell some stuff at the con to offset the costs of visiting the con as well.

That said, seems to me all the recent sketch covers I've seen from Eric have been con sketches. If he only ever has time to sketch at cons these days, then he probably needs to start mixing in these op covers and finish one at each con or something.

In this case, I think it's pretty evident that Eric continues to take NEW commissions at cons without fulfilling the obligations he has to the op participants. That's what has to make this extremely distasteful. This is not a situation where he's so busy that they are on the back burner. New money is much more important than already spent money!

While I agree that this can be aggravating when you've been waiting a long time and the artist has taken your money and then seems to be slacking off, I also understand the separation of con sketches and home commissions/ops. It would be a bummer for fans visiting a con hoping to get a sketch from an artist to be told that he is busy all con with home commissions. And I'm sure the artist would like to sell some stuff at the con to offset the costs of visiting the con as well.

That said, seems to me all the recent sketch covers I've seen from Eric have been con sketches. If he only ever has time to sketch at cons these days, then he probably needs to start mixing in these op covers and finish one at each con or something.

In the case of EBAS, there are very few fans that are able to walk away with sketches from a con. He takes a while to do them, so he only does a few at each show, and he makes the person stay there the entire time he is sketching, so it takes away from anything else they could be doing at the show.

I spoke with Eric today he will be posting sometime next week on this thread. He told me in the meantime to relay to people that he is still working on these and they are being done. He is not running off with anyones cash he simply wants to put out the best product he can for the amount that people spent.

I think if there are others that are done people wouldn't be so worried if they could see them. Its the lack of information more than anything that probably has people upset. Eric is a busy artist in demand so I am sure he has a commission list, published work, and then this project on the side. A year isn't a long wait for a busy artist. I have a sketch opp right now that will be closing in on a year this winter. We will be lucky if they are all done before that deadline. But to keep everyone calm and let them know stuff is being done I show a sketch when they are completed.

I have another opp starting in the next month with a huge artist that is expected to take a 6 month to well past a year for 10 covers to be done. I explained this to everyone in advance so no one would stress. I think a few more updates and some better communication by Mitch would go a long way in smoothing things over on this opp.

I've got a commission out that will be at two years in October with another artist, but I’ve always known it would take some time to get finished and what the status was on it. For me, when I know what the status is and there is communication, it’s not been a problem.

I had a commission with Eric that was sitting for about 8-10 months last year, but his rep (MGA) always kept me updated and I never got the feeling that I was going to get screwed over. Eric’s super busy and it just looks like what’s happened here is that the OP failed at keeping folks updated, so I wouldn’t put Eric in the same boat as AC. Eric’s a standup guy and I can’t imagine folks won’t be made whole.

I spoke with Eric today he will be posting sometime next week on this thread. He told me in the meantime to relay to people that he is still working on these and they are being done. He is not running off with anyones cash he simply wants to put out the best product he can for the amount that people spent.

Good to hear, thanks for the info :applause:

you da man......dscott :applause::whee:(worship)

here's hoping he'll show us some preliminary work :wishluck:

I believe Eric just got home yesterday from Chicago. I know for a fact he has several covers to do for zenoscope and other publishers for Nycc variants. I'm sure he will be on here in a few days but I woudnt expect to see any covers for a few weeks at least if not longer.