• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*Closed* Ebas Blank Sketch Cover Op

255 posts in this topic

Just as well i got my $700 back, eh Doug! So much for my Ebas X-23 was done but the artist wasn't showing the finished pieces off till they were all complete... Pffft! Ha, ha ;)

Completely agree, would be nice to hear from the guy running the opp. Was told several times that multiple ones of these were done but we wouldn't see the finished ones until they were all done.

Then I spoke with Eric at Chicago and was told that none of them were done but the Black Cat. Nice to see that the artist and the facilitator are on the same page.

Just as well i got my $700 back, eh Doug! So much for my Ebas X-23 was done but the artist wasn't showing the finished pieces off till they were all complete... Pffft! Ha, ha ;)

Completely agree, would be nice to hear from the guy running the opp. Was told several times that multiple ones of these were done but we wouldn't see the finished ones until they were all done.

Then I spoke with Eric at Chicago and was told that none of them were done but the Black Cat. Nice to see that the artist and the facilitator are on the same page.

Basically, artist asked for $600 payment upfront, more than a year pass and still not a single one of the subscribes gets the finished product. On top of that, artist said that he will not refund the money, he will not show any pic before all of the commissions are done and finally he said more than once he will post a comment on the very same thread in the "next few days" but he didn't.

If this is not enough, not a single word form the facilitator.

IMO, and I am not involved in this case, this is totally unacceptable, no matter what

I think the main problem with this opp is that the facilitator considered his job done once the requests and blanks were in the artist's hands. Some artists are very busy and not super organized and I think need someone to prod and push them to avoid projects dropping "out of sight, out of mind". The squeeky wheel tends to get the grease first and I'm sure EBAS has plenty of people pushing deadlines and such at him.

Not making excuses for the artist, just my 2 cents on what allowed this opp to fall apart. Just like the situation with Castrillo and Speedy-D, this opp may need someone to take the reins and work with EBAS on getting these done. Normally that would be the facilitator, but it seems like he's washed his hands of the whole thing?

Why hasn't the OP been put on the PL list? The artist has no reason to finish this but if folks are going to start an OP then there should be some recourse for not following through. Otherwise, they will continue to ignore it.

The simple answer is that none of the participants has asked for him to be put on the list. There's also a debate to be had about how responsible a facilitator should be if an artist is flaky. They could be doing everything in their power to push an opp forward, but they can't draw the sketches themselves...

But aside from all that, and to go back to my last point, what promise has the facilitator broken? There was no time limit specified for the original opp.

I'm not taking sides here, just trying to point out that it is not necessarily cut and dry. I definitely agree that the lack of communication from facilitator and artist is pretty crappy.

Why hasn't the OP been put on the PL list? The artist has no reason to finish this but if folks are going to start an OP then there should be some recourse for not following through. Otherwise, they will continue to ignore it.

The simple answer is that none of the participants has asked for him to be put on the list. There's also a debate to be had about how responsible a facilitator should be if an artist is flaky. They could be doing everything in their power to push an opp forward, but they can't draw the sketches themselves...

But aside from all that, and to go back to my last point, what promise has the facilitator broken? There was no time limit specified for the original opp.

I'm not taking sides here, just trying to point out that it is not necessarily cut and dry. I definitely agree that the lack of communication from facilitator and artist is pretty crappy.

Unfortunately, this is why I will only get sketches done at conventions or buy one that is already done and graded. Which is too bad because there are folks here that do a great job getting sketch ops done.

i'm in a similar situation with ebas. i met him in tampa back in august and commissioned him for a 9x12 to be finished by wwchicago where i would pick it up. he took it on saying to pay at pickup. my friend went for me to get it and he had not started it yet but said it would be done by the end of the show and wanted me to send payment then via paypal. i sent him the 500 and he barely finished rough pencils because he was taking on other sketch covers at the show. my friend told him i would get it from him in NYCC and he said he would mail it to me. i have tried to contact him on facebook for an update and he hasn't responded, though the message has been "seen". i havent heard anything from him and im hoping it will be at NYCC or i will be really upset, though from what i've seen on here i dont even have any room to complain compared to your wait times. this is just showing that while he has your books to finish, he is continuing to take on more and more commissions without actaully finishing them.

i'm in a similar situation with ebas. i met him in tampa back in august and commissioned him for a 9x12 to be finished by wwchicago where i would pick it up. he took it on saying to pay at pickup. my friend went for me to get it and he had not started it yet but said it would be done by the end of the show and wanted me to send payment then via paypal. i sent him the 500 and he barely finished rough pencils because he was taking on other sketch covers at the show. my friend told him i would get it from him in NYCC and he said he would mail it to me. i have tried to contact him on facebook for an update and he hasn't responded, though the message has been "seen". i havent heard anything from him and im hoping it will be at NYCC or i will be really upset, though from what i've seen on here i dont even have any room to complain compared to your wait times. this is just showing that while he has your books to finish, he is continuing to take on more and more commissions without actaully finishing them.

I want(ed) an Ebas but after the Anthony Castrillo incident, what's the old saying? "Fool me once, shame on you, foot me twice...."

Got one from each so I guess I beat the odds but no way would I go through any of this mess again. As is I'm definitely reconsidering where I can best invest my money and sketch covers are really losing out because of the time table.

You know, maybe the solution is for the op coordinators to get together and agree to a "standard" payment schedule. Something like half once they draw the first cover and the other half once they finish. I know that would require some "tough love" at first, but this "pay 100% up front" model leaves something to be desired. Otherwise, I see more and more people moving away from the ops. Just something to mull over........

Hi everyone and sorry for not posting on this matter sooner. I actually wasn't on the boards for weeks and didn't realize until today that this topic was live again.

Ebas is very busy and my understanding was they were being worked on and that once they were all completed I would finally get to post pictures of them at one time. I have responded to everyone's inquiries about this OP but unfortunately it has always been the same answer. They are not completed yet.

All I can say is that I am not running away with anyone's money. I made sure of that by making sure all payments were made out directly to Ebas as well as myself not making anything on this OP.

Also Ebas is not the type of person to rip off anyone, let alone steal from his fans. He says he just hasn't had the time to complete them to the quality he wants to present to everyone waiting on this OP.

I'm sorry for how long this is taking but trust me I am doing my best to try and get these completed for everyone.

You know, maybe the solution is for the op coordinators to get together and agree to a "standard" payment schedule. Something like half once they draw the first cover and the other half once they finish. I know that would require some "tough love" at first, but this "pay 100% up front" model leaves something to be desired. Otherwise, I see more and more people moving away from the ops. Just something to mull over........

I'm leaning towards never doing this again but if I ever do it again I will make sure payment is made after the work is complete.

Ebas via his FB page is opening up his at-home commissions now:

"im considering opening up a few spots for copics sketches on blanks. soon. let me know if anyone is interested. when i do them at home i spend more time on them so they cost a lil more. im thinking 600 ungraded.

GO !"

Hi everyone and sorry for not posting on this matter sooner. I actually wasn't on the boards for weeks and didn't realize until today that this topic was live again.

Ebas is very busy and my understanding was they were being worked on and that once they were all completed I would finally get to post pictures of them at one time. I have responded to everyone's inquiries about this OP but unfortunately it has always been the same answer. They are not completed yet.

All I can say is that I am not running away with anyone's money. I made sure of that by making sure all payments were made out directly to Ebas as well as myself not making anything on this OP.

Also Ebas is not the type of person to rip off anyone, let alone steal from his fans. He says he just hasn't had the time to complete them to the quality he wants to present to everyone waiting on this OP.

I'm sorry for how long this is taking but trust me I am doing my best to try and get these completed for everyone.

Translation: "I don't get my cut until he finishes and sends these out either, so I'm honestly trying very hard to push him to finish. But since we paid him up front and he knows his fans won't back out and he's so confident in his skill to wow you despite the delay, he's doesn't seem to be in any hurry to finish. I should have known better and I honestly thought he'd sorta stick to his word. It seemed like a really good idea at the time..."