• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

I've heard that the Bedlam print run is 23,736. Total print run including all variants. Much lower than I thought it would be.

Except Nick Spencer has apparently posted o twitter to share his frustration with the print run being under-reported to the tune of 30%.

Not sure why he should be upset about this. If they under-report issue 1, then issue 2 is reported to have a much higher print run, this would help to generate buzz for the book. Oh well, missed opportunity there.

I've heard that the Bedlam print run is 23,736. Total print run including all variants. Much lower than I thought it would be.

Except Nick Spencer has apparently posted o twitter to share his frustration with the print run being under-reported to the tune of 30%.

Good ole Nick, always wanting things to be bigger. ;)

This book is good, but lets not kid ourselves, its got too many variants to be "the next WD"

Best thing you have ever written mate - 100% agree

Spencer can blow Larry.

The total - 23K give or take should be noted as it INCLUDES nearly 5,000 variants.

Not too many struggling artists there methinks.

Take away the rubbish and thats 18k genuine Bedlam #1's.

That will form part of the series that will continue onto hopefully 50+.

No Larry variants,or FP, or CC just Image Comics Bedlam series.

18k sounds very nice.

The phantoms are included.At upto $20, god knows why.

Everyone else paid cover.

Not sure why he should be upset about this. If they under-report issue 1, then issue 2 is reported to have a much higher print run, this would help to generate buzz for the book. Oh well, missed opportunity there.

probably got a 5c - $1 per issue deal or whatever (no idea) so less copies = lees money.

2c

I don't see what the amount of variants has to do with it being a great book in the future or not. I wish there weren't so many but that doesn't deter me from reading. (shrug)

This sentiment makes far too much sense to be accepted in this thread.

This book is good, but lets not kid ourselves, its got too many variants to be "the next WD"

Are you talking about critical success, or making money in the secondary market? If the former, then what Jrdawg said - number of variants is a complete irrelevance.

If the latter, then there's recent evidence to disagree. Look at Saga, which had a print run approaching 3 times the amount of Bedlam. Granted, it's not making hundreds of dollars per issue, but it is turning a consistent profit for those that got in at the ground floor.

If what you mean is "the next book that escapes critical notice and several years later is making $1000+ on the secondary market", then I suppose I agree - but honestly if that's what you're looking for among new titles these days, particularly Image ones, then you're SOL.

Would Nick Spencer know, or have any control over , the print run? How would he know that it was larger?

I don't see what the amount of variants has to do with it being a great book in the future or not. I wish there weren't so many but that doesn't deter me from reading. (shrug)

This sentiment makes far too much sense to be accepted in this thread.

Are you talking about critical success, or making money in the secondary market? If the former, then what Jrdawg said - number of variants is a complete irrelevance.

If the latter, then there's recent evidence to disagree. Look at Saga, which had a print run approaching 3 times the amount of Bedlam. Granted, it's not making hundreds of dollars per issue, but it is turning a consistent profit for those that got in at the ground floor.

If what you mean is "the next book that escapes critical notice and several years later is making $1000+ on the secondary market", then I suppose I agree - but honestly if that's what you're looking for among new titles these days, particularly Image ones, then you're SOL.

For sake of argument - the compare TWD with Bedlam would be plain daft.

My point is purely that as a customer, walking into a comic shop, I would be confused as all hell to see 6 different covers of a book.

And the to find out the only difference,besides the price,was the cover, well thats a deal-breaker right there.

Who really thinks that any comic will turn 1k profit in ayear.

If you are asking me'what do I expect from bedlam'

Then a modest profit for a raw, and a reasonable ($100) for a NYCC 9.8 slab.

As for SOL..after Great pacific, there is nothing on the horizon for 5 months that I can see.

You will note who started this thread,and on what date.

Just like GP.

I don't think any one is saying it is (shrug)

The thing is, it's hard to not use WD as an example when talking about hot modern books.

The thing is, it's hard to not use WD as an example when talking about hot modern books.

+1

Being a modern comic book collector, I'm seeing a pattern from most collectors, it seems almost every new modern books that's coming out (especially from Image) is being compared with Walking Dead (especially #1) Revival, ToT, Saga, Bedlam, GP

If you like the book, enjoy it as it is, and not as it will be.........

a "Walking Dead" class book comes along once every 15 years.

Good luck picking the next Walking dead.

I'm content to pick rock solid material that "pops"

This week: Suicide Squad #14

Next week Amazing Spider-Man #698

The week after Bedlam #2

NONE of those will be the next Walking Dead.

I'll sleep just fine.

+1

Being a modern comic book collector, I'm seeing a pattern from most collectors, it seems almost every new modern books that's coming out (especially from Image) is being compared with Walking Dead (especially #1) Revival, ToT, Saga, Bedlam, GP

If you like the book, enjoy it as it is, and not as it will be.........

It's not that people are "comparing new books to WD", it's that they are hoping that new books will be as commercially successful.

What a lot of people seem to be forgetting that WD started off very much under the radar, and has taken YEARS to become the commercial juggernaut that it is today. What speculators want, and what they're looking for, is a book that will become crazily popular IMMEDIATELY, or in the very short term, so that they can flip away to their heart's content. Not a slow burner that they can hoard while nobody else is looking - not the new WD.

Someone more learned than me will be able to list good examples of titles that have made people money very quickly (ToT springs to mind). This is what people want now, and frankly in the age of GPA, data on completed eBay sales, and the speed at which rumours of speculation success spread over the net, that's the only realistic thing to aim for if it's $ you're after.

It's a totally different business model for comic speculators now. Nobody has the time or the inclination to wait things out for years. If it isn't earning many multiples of outlay within a few months, the comic-buying public (or the part of it represented on the CGC boards, anyway) deems it a failure (see Mind the Gap, Fatale).

Not being a speculator (well, maybe a very occasional one) I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment re enjoying books for what they are.

So the official numbers according to 2 sites is just under 23k! This includes all covers except NYCC sketch right? So my understanding is the same as larrys regarding the creator owners etc so Nick Spencer should have a clear idea of the numbers. So why does he think they are higher? And if so why are the numbers lower than he believes?