• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

Just saw that my NYCC pre orders were cancelled, what the hell.

Goddamnit!!! Larry is having an annoying habit of being right that's what is happening :grin:

He mentioned this order would have been available to retailers pre-NYCC before the sellout happened.... so either Midtown had it confirmed it was fully sold out or the stock was exceptionally limited.

Look at Saga, which had a print run approaching 3 times the amount of Bedlam.

Yes, but also keep in mind that as far as variants go, Saga #1 has the RRP. Just the RRP (Which has different cover art all together, not just a B&W version of the same thing), nothing else, not 6 different variations to confuse people.

Yes, but also keep in mind that as far as variants go, Saga #1 has the RRP. Just the RRP (Which has different cover art all together, not just a B&W version of the same thing), nothing else, not 6 different variations to confuse people.

What is so confusing? Are you really that perplexed by the existence of variants? Is it really that hard to tell them apart? As with anything, it's simply about taking the time to educate yourself to what is out there. It's really not that hard. It's not like there is only *one* comic book out there that every collector needs to be aware of, and now Bedlam is ruining everything by releasing 7 of them.

Have you opened an OPG lately? How many different listings are there? How many variations, printing anomalies, etc? How many giveaways? How many reprints? This is nothing new.

Edited by jjeanius

You're saying that Saga wouldn't have been as successful if it had more than one variant?

Don't forget that there are 5 printings, which do all have the same cover (except for a tiny colour change) - wouldn't you expect that to put more people off buying multiples than having several variants, each with a different cover?

JUST MY 2c

Some one was crying and saying as a consumer they would be confused when they walk into a comic shop and see 6 covers of the same book. Dunno where he shops but you would be luck to walk into a shop and just find the regular cover. Multiple covers didn't seem to hurt Adventure Time or AvX.

I dunno why every one is whining about what the "real print run" is.

Collectors want a good story that keeps them entertained.

Creators want a huge print run that sells out to show its a good read or "hot title"

Flippers will just add the title "rare sold out" to any eBay auction anyways.

Hoarders are just gamblers with comics. if they don't understand what gambling is then they should not buy in the masses to begin with. Every gambler has losses but still is stupid enough to play 10 team parlay card in hopes to be a millionaire over night.

Now before people pick on me.... I will admit that I invested in every cover. I have many many copies of each and did not pay outrageous prices. I was able to make deals before the con or drop dates. IF this comic bottoms out yeah that sucks but I made the decision on my own. I did not let others influence my buying and will not complain or whine. Besides I would of lost more betting on Notre Dame to cover against Boston College. At least this way if i lose on this gamble I have multiple piles of tissue paper verses a single losing bet voucher. lol

Maybe the more people who have a chance to read an issue or few will turn to buying other covers, but at least they get a chance to read it. I would rather have thousands of people get the chance to read it and love it verse a very very short print run with members holding on to hundreds or thousands of copies.

2c

JUST MY 2c

I would rather have thousands of people get the chance to read it and love it verse a very very short print run with members holding on to hundreds or thousands of copies.

Tell them that the second print is coming and when they fall in love they can get a first print from a boardie... (thumbs u

*I'm* not confused about the variant covers. but what about 5 years from now if the hoopla for issue #50 is huge and someone that is not a comic book person decides they love Bedlam and wants to pick up everything, goes to eBay and is confused? tell me that cant possibly happen.

as for Saga, im not sure there are many that are more aware of the 2nd/3rd/4th printings of #1 because i cant find anyone who can (or is willing) to sell me 5 copies of each! lol i can buy 1st prints all day long on eBay, no problem.

but what about 5 years from now if the hoopla for issue #50 is huge and someone that is not a comic book person decides they love Bedlam and wants to pick up everything, goes to eBay and is confused?

"Oh my gosh, I love Bedlam so much! If only I could figure out why I see so many #1 issues, but they all have different covers. How could I *possibly* ever decipher the labyrinth of covers before me...? Maybe I could ask someone that might be able to give me a simple and concise answer...? No, that wouldn't *possibly* work. Guess I just won't bother. It's all just way too confusing for me. I'm just lucky that breathing is involuntary, otherwise I'd REALLY be in trouble!"

Is that about the gist of it, then...?

Heaven forbid someone actually take the time to educate themselves about something they have an interest in. Heaven forbid anyone ever make an effort to make an informed decision about anything, ever.

There is no doubt that the multiple covers is great for the creators right now. It gives them the opportunity to sell multiple copies to the same fan and increase their profits.

The discussion earlier was about the secondary market in the future. The multiple covers do negatively hurt the top value the book can acheive later in the secondary market. 2c

It's doesn't mean the book will be worthless or not go up in value, but it spreads the demand over several issues instead of focusing it on 1 book. When you only have 1 book that features the 1st appearance of a character you get something simple to target.

Let's say the book is a success storywise, and readership grows over the next few years. Many readers will buy TPB's to read the series, and also pick up the #1 floppy. (This is a very common collecting method, and similar to Walking Dead right now.) When they go to buy the single #1, the extra variants will spread their budget if they buy all (which means spending less per book) or they will only buy one version (which lessens the demand for the other variants).

Hellboy comes to mind. Next Men #21 would be worth a lot more if the Dime Press and SDCC books didn't come out 1st. Bedlam #1 will always have the stigma that the 2 NYCC variants came out weeks before and could be considered the true 1st appearance of the character. But which one? There are 2. Or are all Bedlam #1's the 1st appearance? :ohnoez:

*I'm* not confused about the variant covers. but what about 5 years from now if the hoopla for issue #50 is huge and someone that is not a comic book person decides they love Bedlam and wants to pick up everything, goes to eBay and is confused? tell me that cant possibly happen.

Well IF they are not a comic book person and is able to go on eBay then I am sure they also go on google. lol

IF they are too lazy to google then they can buy or bid on the complete collections like chew, walking dead, or saga.

Hellboy comes to mind. Next Men #21 would be worth a lot more if the Dime Press and SDCC books didn't come out 1st. Bedlam #1 will always have the stigma that the 2 NYCC variants came out weeks before and could be considered the true 1st appearance of the character. But which one? There are 2. Or are all Bedlam #1's the 1st appearance? :ohnoez:

My personal take is that the B&W NYCC will always be the snob Bedlam book to own and will comand the highest price (unless one of the variants turns out to be really fricking hard to get in 9.8). I agree that the fact that the NYCC books were the first release will matter to die hards (and, ultimately, to people who value owning the cool copy), as will the fact that it's the most scarce version. That's just my thought though. Looking forward to issue 2.