• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

Bedlam is a great series to go for variants on though since the variants are easier to obtain. I've had to shell out around $150 for each of the three variants of the series I've committed to....

And its only on issue 3 -_-

:facepalm:

You will when you have no money!

Variants - The Loansharks friend....

Actually - I really couldn't give a flyinf ferkin about wether you spend your rent to keep Larrys kids in Private school.

You should though.

Enjoy your 'regional copies'.

2c

f I was in a position where I actually needed to worry about paying my bills then obviously I wouldn't be spending my rent money on bundled paper that I will never read :P

And I still do not own a single phantom variant yet. I don't buy every hyped up mediocre variant available.

f I was in a position where I actually needed to worry about paying my bills then obviously I wouldn't be spending my rent money on bundled paper that I will never read :P

And I still do not own a single phantom variant yet. I don't buy every hyped up mediocre variant available.

Well why didn't ya just say that?

So - who or what is the first?

Back to the book - wingnut has gone tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY in Recovery - The first has gone "On my way"

What or how, does this tie into St Kevins and Madder Red.

Answers?

Andy:

Looks like it is implying a kid abuse scandal at a children's home - Madder and the Killer know each other. What if The First was there as we, but chose a different path? hm

I did not get the impression that Madder and the killer know each other. Are you sure about this? Did I miss something?

I'm going to ask a newbie question, what is with all the negativity towards Larry and his variants?

Personally I buy variants because of the artwork, not because of the speculative market. And I personally like all of Larry's variants for Bedlam, including the one you guys seem to love to hate on. My point is this, did the cover artists get paid for more work? Does it get the book and the creative team more exposure? Do you like the cover art? Then what is the issue if its a money grab? Isn't that half the point on variants to begin with?

I'm going to ask a newbie question, what is with all the negativity towards Larry and his variants?

Personally I buy variants because of the artwork, not because of the speculative market. And I personally like all of Larry's variants for Bedlam, including the one you guys seem to love to hate on. My point is this, did the cover artists get paid for more work? Does it get the book and the creative team more exposure? Do you like the cover art? Then what is the issue if its a money grab? Isn't that half the point on variants to begin with?

that's a live grenade of a question, let me have a neutral go at it:

The detractors point of view:

----------------------------------------

1.) He has said controversial stuff other places online, and they dont like anything he says/does/produces.

2.) He is producing variants, sometimes many, on books people are speculating on. They feel that the more variants that are produced, the less likely a series is to rise on the secondary market.

the supporters point of view:

----------------------------------------

1.) He might have said controversial stuff elsewhere, but he hasnt done it here.

2.) He owns a business, and produces products, and does so openly. Therefore, there is no problem, buy the variants if you like them, if you dont, then dont.

3.) The variants increase exposure to the book, which improves readership, and long term, that benefits the book and the secondary market

That seems to be the general debate anyway.

No negativity here. The LCS I get the Phantoms from sells them at cover price. Apparently Larry sells them at cover in his store as well.

After Larry pays for the commissioned art for the covers, and then sells for cover, I doubt he's getting rich.

It's more an opportunity to take shots at Larry. No such negativity follows the Ghost variants, Chuck's variants, or regional show variants.

Here's the rub on variants...

(1) They are created to promote primary markets (comic book store sales to readers).

(2) They increase exposure to the work.

(3) They are cool.

(4) Not created for secondary markets.

(5) Mixed feelings on the boards because we are the secondary market.

(6) I like some, so I buy them. Some I don't, so I don't.

(7) If you don't like it, don't buy it.

(8) But, overall they serve a need to increase exposure in the primary market, which is good for everyone (promotes: reading, collecting, etc.)

My 2c

No negativity here. The LCS I get the Phantoms from sells them at cover price. Apparently Larry sells them at cover in his store as well.

After Larry pays for the commissioned art for the covers, and then sells for cover, I doubt he's getting rich.

It's more an opportunity to take shots at Larry. No such negativity follows the Ghost variants, Chuck's variants, or regional show variants.

The entire POINT of the program is to build foot traffic for the LCS.

With the art-forms transition to digital media, it's nice to have a reason to visit a comic shop, No?

It's a been pretty nice program for the creators involved too..

Edited by LarrysComics