• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you get your books graded?

17 posts in this topic

Just curious to know how everyone gets their books graded. I know some offer CGC 9.8 subscription services so you can get them graded and then delivered. Some order their books and then submit them for grading locally or via mail. Just wondering how everyone here prefers to have it done, particularly with newer books. Do you use subscription services? If so, who through? Do you think CGC grading is worth the time and money? Is it only worth it for older books?

Its like asking which is better? Lasagna or Prime Rib? There is no correct respose

Some people love 9.8 modern slabs, others think slabbing a modern is a waste.

In the future, a well read VG copy of any of todays books will be much rarer than the nicely preserved 9.6 plus copies, but it won't be worth more.

It took me about a year to get over being CGC CRAZY and wanting to submit my entire collection and buy every book slabbed. With that, I now have a good focus going, and don't believe that every book needs to be slabbed. It was hard at first, though.

I say the best advice is to submit the easiest way for you - and go from there. The more you submit and buy, the more you'll figure out how you want to integrate CGC graded books into your collection. It's a constant learning process.

I prefer onsite grading. You get your books back the next day. To me that's worth the extra cost. 2c

However, most of my slabs were bought already graded.

The main reason I like CGC is for online shopping. If it's an expensive book the restoration check is already done, and I have a better idea of the condition regardless of the crappy pics online. (thumbs u

It depends what you want the book slabbed for. I want mine slabbed for my own benefit and most of mine aren't worth squat.

It looks the OP want's to make money with his so it's a totally different thing..

Go to the modern forum - they'll tell you what's hot and what's not lol