• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men:Days of Future Past movie confirmed
1 1

2,131 posts in this topic

:applause:

Weekend Report: 'Maleficent' Casts Box Office Spell, 'Million Ways' Dies

No surprise 'Maleficent' took first place. The article says it came down with our fascination with the story of Sleeping Beauty.

But the X-Men summary was interesting. Box Office Mojo's forecast is this will break $200 MM domestic.

In second place, X-Men: Days of Future Past plummeted 64 percent to $32.6 million. That drop is on par with last year's Fast & Furious 6, and is a slight improvement over X-Men: The Last Stand. Still, it's a bit steeper than expected given the movie's strong word-of-mouth and reviews. To date, its earned $162.1 million, and is now on track for a final total between $220 and $230 million.

Three movies released in May 2013 ultimately passed $225 million at the domestic box office. With Godzilla and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in line for around $200 million and X-Men falling fast, it's possible that none of May 2014's titles reach that mark.

Ouch!

BOX OFFICE: MALEFICENT Takes The Top Spot From X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

Despite an incredible opening last week, X-Men: Days of Future Past will fall to second place this weekend in North America with an estimated $32 million three day total after taking $9.6 million on Friday. It's been beaten by Disney's Maleficent, the live-action Sleeping Beauty prequel which stars Angelina Jolie. That earned $24.2 million when it opened yesterday, and now looks set for a $70+ million by the end of tomorrow. $65 million is a more conservative estimate, but that's still a great debut, especially as it has already taken over $20 million overseas.

What happened? X-Men: Days of Future Past had good word of mouth, but yet took a bigger drop then ASM 2 did in its second week? ASM 2 did $35.5 million in its second week, while X-Men: Days of Future Past is estimated to do $32 million.

ASM gets critical reviews, while X-Men: Days of Future Past got universal praise. I am stumped then why X-Men: Days of Future Past had such a drop?

hm

DOFP had some big competition in week 2, ASM2 didn't.

I think you also have to take into account high school graduations and nice weather.

Mainly, I think you have to factor in that DOFP wasn`t brainless enough to appeal to the Transformers crowd.

New Exmen movie preveiw make hed hurt. Me like TraNsform3rs. think optiminus pRime shud win oskar in new movie. Marky marK best supportment emmy. transfermors moviesmakes money, so I kno there good. Part 3 was based on true life wit moon stuff in the 1840's. :preach:

lol

Ouch!

BOX OFFICE: MALEFICENT Takes The Top Spot From X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

Despite an incredible opening last week, X-Men: Days of Future Past will fall to second place this weekend in North America with an estimated $32 million three day total after taking $9.6 million on Friday. It's been beaten by Disney's Maleficent, the live-action Sleeping Beauty prequel which stars Angelina Jolie. That earned $24.2 million when it opened yesterday, and now looks set for a $70+ million by the end of tomorrow. $65 million is a more conservative estimate, but that's still a great debut, especially as it has already taken over $20 million overseas.

What happened? X-Men: Days of Future Past had good word of mouth, but yet took a bigger drop then ASM 2 did in its second week? ASM 2 did $35.5 million in its second week, while X-Men: Days of Future Past is estimated to do $32 million.

ASM gets critical reviews, while X-Men: Days of Future Past got universal praise. I am stumped then why X-Men: Days of Future Past had such a drop?

hm

DOFP had some big competition in week 2, ASM2 didn't.

I think you also have to take into account high school graduations and nice weather.

Mainly, I think you have to factor in that DOFP wasn`t brainless enough to appeal to the Transformers crowd.

New Exmen movie preveiw make hed hurt. Me like TraNsform3rs. think optiminus pRime shud win oskar in new movie. Marky marK best supportment oskar. transfermors moviesmakes money, so no they r good.

You forgot the obligatory "lolz". (tsk)

lol

Great movie! Saw this with someone that had never heard of the X-Men and she loved it. She wants to see the rest of the movies and even seemed interested in reading a few of the comics. Always good for the hobby.

Show her XFC only. If she watches the first 3 X movies, she`ll probably be disappointed.

I'm so glad the DOFP movie has been confirmed. I can hardly wait until it hits the theaters. I'm very excited to see it!

I know it's stupid to have six threads for a movie release, but one would have been just fine.

Saw DOFP last night (finally).... Excellent.

I give it a 9/10

Non-Spoiler Review (I think):

The sentinels were awesome. It was interesting that they felt and were feared like the sentinels in The Matrix. Additionally, the future scenes felt like scenes from The Matrix in the "real world."

The movie did a great job addressing canon issues. I kept trying to logically explain to myself, "How does this work? How is this possible? Does this stay true to established story points of the past?" I'll say that I believe the DOFP team did a great job of making sure there were no gaps (that I could tell) for the fans to call BS on. There are a few story points that I could be skeptical on, but I'm happy the way things went and was entertained, so not a big deal.

Fassbender does a terrific job (once again) as Magneto. McAvoy once again sells Xavier well. Loved the whole cast and the new additions. Loved seeing Patrick Stewart back again. Especially liked the Quicksilver sequences.

Overall.... I'm going to go ahead and declare this is THE Marvel movie to see this year.

Forward March to 2016!

:hi:

Finally saw it this weekend. I don't know if I'd rate it that high, but I still loved and enjoyed it.

I'm glad they're wiping out the previous continuity since it had spiraled out of control. One thing that didn't make sense is how Stryker was younger than he was in Wolverine Origins that took place around the same time. So he'd already met Wolverine and done the weapon x stuff. But that movie was terrible and for it to be wiped out from continuity is fine with me. The post credits scene was terrific. I hope that Apocalypse gets his more classic look in the next movie.

So after watching the new X-Men movie I came away with these thoughts..

1) The Sentinels looked good at the time when they were first created in the movie, but the future one looked too much like and also displayed powers to the The Destroyer in the Thor Movie. (with the opening of the face) Is this the same director in the Thor movies or something? :eek:

Destroyer-Sentinel.jpg

2) I thought Peter Dinklage would be cast as Puck for some reason.

PUCK-DINKLAGE2.jpg

3) I still don't like how Beast looks.....

X-Men-Days-of-Future-Past-Beast-935x1024.jpg

4) Why did they have to make Colossus look like T-1000.

3151271-2634878693-t1000.jpg

This person is at a show, but I think his look is more accurate to the comic book and still could be used for the "new generation" appeal.

large.jpg

5) Kitty Pryde can send people to the past?

6) All the X-Men movies jokingly and being serious are actually Wolverine movies! just with supporting cast.

Edited by C.P.C.I.V.

I just saw it last night. Not impressed.

Some fun fanboy/geek moments, but overall it wasn't a very good movie. The highlight was QUICKSILVER, especially that one slow-mo scene.

I loved FASSBENDER as MAGNETO in FIRST CLASS, but he didn't have the same depth and onscreen presence this time. I actually didn't give a damn about any of the characters - I felt nothing emotionally watching this movie. And many of them did nothing but strike a pose and/or fight. And HALLE BERRY? Good grief. Does her contract forbid her from speaking in these X-movies???

It also wasn't very easy to follow if you're not familiar with the source material. My date had seen the movies, but it wasn't enough to follow without footnotes in the form of me explaining things.

And 2 things really ruined it for me. I'm all for the suspension of disbelief, but it has its limits:

1) The whole mise en scene of the premise relies upon someone being sent back in time. I don't understand how KITTY can do that. Was it even it explained or alluded to in the movie? Did I miss something? If not, that's some deus ex machina in the -script. I call it the "just because" effect.

2) I liked how MAGNETO laced the Sentinels with metal so he could control them. But, this should do nothing more than allow him to manipulate them physically. Perhaps even turn them on, but he manages to activate them, somehow control the programming, and even see through their eyes. How else could he control them from about 50km away and then have them act as sentinels to guard an area he had no line of sight to? More "just because". And also having the bullet track MYSTIQUE makes no sense to me. Seems like he's telepathic or something. Or did he lock into the signature of the iron in her blood? If so, he should have been able to escape his prison much like MCKELLAN did. Whatever. And why in Lord's name would the government even keep such a dangerous enemy of the state alive?

The movie lost it's credibility because of the above.

Definitely a movie for comic fanboys, not for general movie fans. I was the one person laughing or cheering during my screening. It's obvious that the references, nuances, and meaning of many scenes are lost on the casual viewer.

hm

After Frozen's continued success, young audiences are hungry for more princess movies no matter how dark. After Tangled, this wheels were set in motion for this genre to eventually rise back to the top of the heap of the box-office. I don't think this will kill the funnybook movies, but these two genres will be probably duking it out from now on. Luckily, Disney has ties to Marvel. So, we won't be seeing openings on the same weekend of each other.

Also technically, this is the seventh X-Men-type movie. Signs of franchise fatique set in after the opening numbers of First Class and the final domestic numbers of the two Wolverine movies. Add on the hype that made mainstream people who really didn't want to see a team movie with only one hero they recognized (Wolverine) and it's a recipe for frontloading. It'll clean up overseas though, to warrant a sequel.

Which is quite amusing as my 8 year old Niece is sick to the back teeth of Princess related movies and apparel.

Edited by Bane

Definitely a movie for comic fanboys, not for general movie fans. I was the one person laughing or cheering during my screening. It's obvious that the references, nuances, and meaning of many scenes are lost on the casual viewer.

I have to disagree, I spoke to a guy I work with who saw it last night with his daugther, both are not comic book readers or fanboys, they are general movie goers who both loved the movie and would see it again.

So after watching the new X-Men movie I came away with these thoughts..

1) The Sentinels looked good at the time when they were first created in the movie, but the future one looked too much like and also displayed powers to the The Destroyer in the Thor Movie. (with the opening of the face) Is this the same director in the Thor movies or something? :eek:

Destroyer-Sentinel.jpg

4) Why did they have to make Colossus look like T-1000.

3151271-2634878693-t1000.jpg

This person is at a show, but I think his look is more accurate to the comic book and still could be used for the "new generation" appeal.

large.jpg

5) Kitty Pryde can send people to the past?

#1 I agree 100%. I though the same thing while watching the movie. In fact, the sentinels looked more like the DESTROYER than the DESTROYER looked like the DESTROYER in the THOR movie (I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift...). There was NO need for the Sentinels face plate to open up. They could clearly project energy from their hands, etc... Another "just because" it's cool moment.

#4 I always though the original COLOSSUS look in the comics was perfect. I don't mind his movie look, but he and iceman looked alike! Kind of. Just a bit.

#5 I raised that same point above. Made zero sense to me and set a bad tone for the entire movie.

I'd rate it about 5/10. Great effects. Fun fanboy moments. Entertaining most of the time. Poor -script. Difficult to follow if not a fanboy. Little character development. Minimal acting/dialogue by many of the characters. Lack of logic and exposition.

I would not view again.

The only X-MEN movie I enjoyed was FIRST CLASS, as long as I pretend SEBASTIAN SHAW was not played by KEVIN BACON and did not possess BISHOP's powers.

I have to disagree, I spoke to a guy I work with who saw it last night with his daugther, both are not comic book readers or fanboys, they are general movie goers who both loved the movie and would see it again.

And what kind of movies do they like? Action and explosions I'm guessing.

I should have been more specific when stating "general movie goers". I'm not talking about kids. I don't know how old she is, but a kid doesn't need much to be entertained. And sadly, neither do adults these days. These types of movies are common denominator turn your brain off distractions. I can enjoy mindless drivel, but I sure as heck won't praise it as the best thing since sliced bread. I will tear it apart! It's part of the pleasure I derive from it. I just don't understand why studios are unwilling or unable to write tighter scripts. But I guess "general movie goers" just want eye candy.

I'm a big snob when it comes to movies. Does it show? ;)

I just don't see what people think was so wonderful about this movie.

To each their own. :foryou:

I am however really looking forward to GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. It appears to be a simple and honest fun-filled ride. :wishluck:

I'm a big snob when it comes to movies. Does it show? ;)

I can't say I've noticed. :whistle:

I am however really looking forward to GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. It appears to be a simple and honest fun-filled ride. :wishluck:

It is good to read the opposing view on a movie. Just to get a feel for what could be the full assessment of a film from different experiences.

But what did you find dishonest about DOFP?

2) I liked how MAGNETO laced the Sentinels with metal so he could control them. But, this should do nothing more than allow him to manipulate them physically. Perhaps even turn them on, but he manages to activate them, somehow control the programming, and even see through their eyes. How else could he control them from about 50km away and then have them act as sentinels to guard an area he had no line of sight to? More "just because". And also having the bullet track MYSTIQUE makes no sense to me. Seems like he's telepathic or something. Or did he lock into the signature of the iron in her blood? If so, he should have been able to escape his prison much like MCKELLAN did. Whatever. And why in Lord's name would the government even keep such a dangerous enemy of the state alive?

I agree about the first half. It did seem a bit unlikely that just lacing a Sentinel with metal would have granted the level of control he displayed over them. It seemed like once that little computer started beeping indicating a mutant was around they basically went to it so perhaps the programing was very basic and he somehow overrode it. I didn't give that part too much thought and just sort of accepted it honestly. Regarding the second part though I don't think the bullet tracked her. I think he continued to steer it and just took his best guess as to her placement. He was going for a kill shot originally and only managed to hit her in the leg because he couldn't actually see her and was just shooting somewhat blindly at that point. That's how I saw it at least.

I'm not sure if this was brought up previously in the thread but my main issue with the movie (before the ending and wiping out the previous movies) is how Mystique was in the original movies if she was captured and experimented on and killed to created the Sentinels that existed in the continuation of the original movie time line? I know they wiped all that out but it left a large hole I don't really understand.

Edited by Cascaders27

Mystique's roll doesn't make sense at all if they are trying to connect it to the original three movies - So I just assumed it was an alternate universe/timeline to begin with.

And 2 things really ruined it for me. I'm all for the suspension of disbelief, but it has its limits:

1) The whole mise en scene of the premise relies upon someone being sent back in time. I don't understand how KITTY can do that. Was it even it explained or alluded to in the movie? Did I miss something? If not, that's some deus ex machina in the -script. I call it the "just because" effect.

This is the typical "is the movie faithful to the comic" issue. I got over that a long time ago.

The movies stand on their own and anyone who insists on them being faithful to the comic are going to be perpetually destined to be disappointed. Kitty Pryde is not an established character in the movies, so she can have whatever power the writers want her to have. The fact that she doesn`t have this time consciousness transfer power in the comics is completely irrelevant, and didn`t impact my enjoyment of the movie one bit. The writers could`ve achieved the same end by adding some completely new mutant with this power. What`s the difference?

However, Ellen Page was completely wasted in the move because her character does literally nothing except hold someone`s head in her hands the entire movie. I also agree with you that one of the things that`s always bothered me about the X movies is their complete underutilization of Halle Berry.