• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men:Days of Future Past movie confirmed
1 1

2,131 posts in this topic

Ouch!

BOX OFFICE: MALEFICENT Takes The Top Spot From X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

Despite an incredible opening last week, X-Men: Days of Future Past will fall to second place this weekend in North America with an estimated $32 million three day total after taking $9.6 million on Friday. It's been beaten by Disney's Maleficent, the live-action Sleeping Beauty prequel which stars Angelina Jolie. That earned $24.2 million when it opened yesterday, and now looks set for a $70+ million by the end of tomorrow. $65 million is a more conservative estimate, but that's still a great debut, especially as it has already taken over $20 million overseas.

What happened? X-Men: Days of Future Past had good word of mouth, but yet took a bigger drop then ASM 2 did in its second week? ASM 2 did $35.5 million in its second week, while X-Men: Days of Future Past is estimated to do $32 million.

ASM gets critical reviews, while X-Men: Days of Future Past got universal praise. I am stumped then why X-Men: Days of Future Past had such a drop?

hm

I think it`s timing. In DOFP`s 2nd weekend, it`s going up against the opening weekends of "Maleficent" AND "Edge of Tomorrow".

I`ve never seen the movie theatres here so crowded. There was a massive number of people to see 3 different movies, which is kind of unprecedented.

Edited by tth2

Ouch!

Despite an incredible opening last week, X-Men: Days of Future Past will fall to second place this weekend in North America with an estimated $32 million three day total after taking $9.6 million on Friday. It's been beaten by Disney's Maleficent, the live-action Sleeping Beauty prequel which stars Angelina Jolie. That earned $24.2 million when it opened yesterday, and now looks set for a $70+ million by the end of tomorrow. $65 million is a more conservative estimate, but that's still a great debut, especially as it has already taken over $20 million overseas.

What happened? X-Men: Days of Future Past had good word of mouth, but yet took a bigger drop then ASM 2 did in its second week? ASM 2 did $35.5 million in its second week, while X-Men: Days of Future Past is estimated to do $32 million.

ASM gets critical reviews, while X-Men: Days of Future Past got universal praise. I am stumped then why X-Men: Days of Future Past had such a drop?

hm

DOFP had some big competition in week 2, ASM2 didn't.

hm

After Frozen's continued success, young audiences are hungry for more princess movies no matter how dark. After Tangled, this wheels were set in motion for this genre to eventually rise back to the top of the heap of the box-office. I don't think this will kill the funnybook movies, but these two genres will be probably duking it out from now on. Luckily, Disney has ties to Marvel. So, we won't be seeing openings on the same weekend of each other.

Also technically, this is the seventh X-Men-type movie. Signs of franchise fatique set in after the opening numbers of First Class and the final domestic numbers of the two Wolverine movies. Add on the hype that made mainstream people who really didn't want to see a team movie with only one hero they recognized (Wolverine) and it's a recipe for frontloading. It'll clean up overseas though, to warrant a sequel.

Ouch!

hm

I think it`s timing. In DOFP`s 2nd weekend, it`s going up against the opening weekends of "Maleficent" AND "Edge of Tomorrow".

I`ve never seen the movie theatres here so crowded. There was a massive number of people to see 3 different movies, which is kind of unprecedented.

+ 1

When my family went yesterday to see 'Maleficent' the theater was packed. But it was for multiple movies, versus one dominant movie. These past few months have just been chock full of big pictures.

How was Maleficent? My daughter loves all the princess movies and whatnot, and we're looking forward to Disney re-releasing Sleeping Beauty this so we can buy it, but this live action one looks a little scary for a kid her age (I do realize she's not the intended audience).

We saw Maleficent on the first showing Friday morning. It was pretty awesome. I thought it dragged a bit in the beginning, but it picked up after that and was pretty engaging. Jolie was born to play that part...she looked perfect and hammed it up at times. :) There are some dark parts and lots of "implied" deaths and one "explicit" one. It might be a bit dark for little kids. It puts a nice big twist on the original story that was actually refreshing and touching. April teared up during a couple parts. :)

Peace,

Chip

We saw Maleficent on the first showing Friday morning. It was pretty awesome. I thought it dragged a bit in the beginning, but it picked up after that and was pretty engaging. Jolie was born to play that part...she looked perfect and hammed it up at times. :) There are some dark parts and lots of "implied" deaths and one "explicit" one. It might be a bit dark for little kids. It puts a nice big twist on the original story that was actually refreshing and touching. April Chip teared up during a couple parts. :)

Peace,

Chip

+ 1

I really liked the special effects used in this movie, and wasn't expecting it to be such a good story.

Was that a Mickey Mouse symbol etched into the rock at the end when Auroro is crowned the queen of both kingdoms?

Ouch!

hm

I think you also have to take into account high school graduations and nice weather.

Ouch!

hm

I think you also have to take into account high school graduations and nice weather.

Mainly, I think you have to factor in that DOFP wasn`t brainless enough to appeal to the Transformers crowd.

Ouch!

hm

Mainly, I think you have to factor in that DOFP wasn`t brainless enough to appeal to the Transformers crowd.

New Exmen movie preveiw make hed hurt. Me like TraNsform3rs. think optiminus pRime shud win oskar in new movie. Marky marK best supportment emmy. transfermors moviesmakes money, so I kno there good. Part 3 was based on true life wit moon stuff in the 1840's. :preach:

Ouch!

hm

New Exmen movie preveiw make hed hurt. Me like TraNsform3rs. think optiminus pRime shud win oskar in new movie. Marky marK best supportment oskar. transfermors moviesmakes money, so no they r good.

You forgot the obligatory "lolz". (tsk)

Ouch!

hm

New Exmen movie preveiw make hed hurt. Me like TraNsform3rs. think optiminus pRime shud win oskar in new movie. Marky marK best supportment emmy. transfermors moviesmakes money, so I kno there good. Part 3 was based on true life wit moon stuff in the 1840's. :preach:

Your 'Transformers Lifetime Membership' is so revoked after the founding members read this.

:baiting:

Saw DOFP last night (finally).... Excellent.

I give it a 9/10

Non-Spoiler Review (I think):

The sentinels were awesome. It was interesting that they felt and were feared like the sentinels in The Matrix. Additionally, the future scenes felt like scenes from The Matrix in the "real world."

The movie did a great job addressing canon issues. I kept trying to logically explain to myself, "How does this work? How is this possible? Does this stay true to established story points of the past?" I'll say that I believe the DOFP team did a great job of making sure there were no gaps (that I could tell) for the fans to call BS on. There are a few story points that I could be skeptical on, but I'm happy the way things went and was entertained, so not a big deal.

Fassbender does a terrific job (once again) as Magneto. McAvoy once again sells Xavier well. Loved the whole cast and the new additions. Loved seeing Patrick Stewart back again. Especially liked the Quicksilver sequences.

Overall.... I'm going to go ahead and declare this is THE Marvel movie to see this year.

Forward March to 2016!

:hi:

Ouch!

hm

Your 'Transformers Lifetime Membership' is so revoked after the founding members read this.

:baiting:

OK, I won't burn my bridges with the Illuminati of Gobot Fans next. (thumbs u

Ouch!

hm

in an earlier thread i mused which would superhero flick would have the biggest WW BO, looks like unless GOTG pulls a massive upset, XM:DOFP will edge out both Cap and Spidey- all 3 of these will do >$100mm in China :o

As good as X_Men: First Class was, this one had no momentum to capitalize on (like the first two did), other than the return of Bryan Singer (whose recent "filmography" onscreen and allegedly off has been less than desirable). You knew it was gonna frontload on it's opening weekend. Hopefully, this one creates some positive buzz to breathe a little new life in the franchise to better fix the creaky areas for any follow-ups.

Great movie! Saw this with someone that had never heard of the X-Men and she loved it. She wants to see the rest of the movies and even seemed interested in reading a few of the comics. Always good for the hobby.