• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many of you have private insurance?

83 posts in this topic

Yeah. After years of paying insurance for books to Sarasota, I realized I was already covered...

Don't know if CGC will let you skip the return insurance. Doesn't seem to be optional on their form.

Have CGC ship them back Fedex - it's cheaper than USPS registered, faster and the CIS insurance will cover your books.

my safety deposit box room is temp and moisture controlled....

Anyone know of any competitors of http://www.collectinsure.com ... or do these guys own the market?

Most are. The issue is do they turn the thermostat off or down after hours? Most do.

While banks are great for paper money and document collections; it is important to use silica gel. The staples on comic books can rust over time.

Anyone know of any competitors of http://www.collectinsure.com ... or do these guys own the market?

Most are. The issue is do they turn the thermostat off or down after hours? Most do.

While banks are great for paper money and document collections; it is important to use silica gel. The staples on comic books can rust over time.

what if you have your books in those sealed plastic bags? Same thing can happen?

what if you have your books in those sealed plastic bags? Same thing can happen?

How so? There has to be a LOT of moisture present. This is not true. This is explained perfectly in the book; Saving Stuff. This book is literally less than five dollars on Amazon. I recommend it as a great starting point to anyone wanting to learn basic conservation and storage methods.

Did you know that for decades I store most if not all of my collectibles in Rubbermaid/Sterlie storage containers. This book recommends this even if in sealed plastic bags. Never had a problem. In fact you are at more risk for flood damage and the like if you do NOT do this...same with insect and mold damage.

Normally atmospheric conditions are NOT enough for condensation to form in a climate controlled environment. By that logic any CGC graded comic book or PMG/PCGS graded piece of currency would be subject to damage.

Keep in mind a safe deposit box does suffer from massive climate fluctuations. If you do believe that you have found a bank that does not 'lower or turn off' their thermostat at night; please tell them you want this in writing. Most will flat out refuse or refer you to your lease (read this carefully).

Also know that most banks use the same 'cookie cutter' design for these vaults.

I would NEVER store a comic book in a safe deposit box for these reasons. I do however, store my coin and currency collections there (which IS recommended); as every dealer I talk to does as well.

In conclusion, just use caution, common sense, and some silica gel; and you should be okay.

I just would not feel comfortable storing comic books (only due to the staples) in safe deposit boxes...just my opinion.

Respectfully,

'mint'

So you feel more comfortable leaving them in a box in your closet? I really don't think the bank is going too cold or too hot, Just like you wouldn't let your house get too hot or too cold and books are fine. I think the whole "moisture" thing is from fire proof safes only?

My comics stay right where they are,in my bedroom on shelves.If something happens they are insured.I want to be able to enjoy my books,and keeping them around where I can get to them makes me feel more secure than any bank could ever do for me.

So you feel more comfortable leaving them in a box in your closet? I really don't think the bank is going too cold or too hot, Just like you wouldn't let your house get too hot or too cold and books are fine. I think the whole "moisture" thing is from fire proof safes only?

I'm not so sure. There was a documentary on a long lost ancient manuscript that was found in a safety deposit box in a New York bank. Due to the storage conditions it had deteriorated so that some of it was lost.

I have insurance on my collection but keep it at home. I want to be able to see it and read it from time to time.

I don't know what it's like in other areas, but getting a safety deposit box that fits comics is near impossible in my area. The only box available at the multiple banks that I checked was 2.5" by 5" by 20", so unless I want to store raw comics folded in half, it ain't gonna happen.

My comics stay right where they are,in my bedroom on shelves.If something happens they are insured.I want to be able to enjoy my books,and keeping them around where I can get to them makes me feel more secure than any bank could ever do for me.

I thought so too, until my house got broken into while I was at work 6 years ago, had a half size box full of just modern books I liked, nothing overly expensive...they took the whole box from the closet. Kicker is that i sold all my CGC books and bought art which was hanging on the walls untouched :) I'll trust the bank.

I don't know what it's like in other areas, but getting a safety deposit box that fits comics is near impossible in my area. The only box available at the multiple banks that I checked was 2.5" by 5" by 20", so unless I want to store raw comics folded in half, it ain't gonna happen.

Funny the SDB's at my bank have sizes up to 16 X 23, they have ventailation and are temperature controlled 24/7. I asked the bank about this.

Everyone has different strategies, but the bottom line is this: If your collection is valuable and you keep it in your home, then your comics should be appraised and fully insured by a reputable insurance company (including all applicable riders). (thumbs u

http://www.americancollectors.com/

is who I am insured through they are a subsidiary of USAA

Interesting...I'm an USAA member and they didn't refer me to this company when I called asking about my insurance.

hm