• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transitioning...

52 posts in this topic

I have one word for your "Raboy".

(thumbs u

''Love Raboy, but I put that in the commonly collected bag along with

Pre Robin Tecs,

Captain America,

Some of the Marvel Mystery

Lou fine covers

Then the "iconics" Great 3, Suspense 3

The real trick is to find them in grade and at a reasonable price.

Probably possible in the old days, but probably not possible anymore. :(

''Love Raboy, but I put that in the commonly collected bag

Go to CG and mention Raboy and check how many surprised looks you'll get ... Heck, same with Lou Fine.

Thank goodness, working professionals in the current comics industry do know who they are.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed and has been done by many of you several times. I know it's also been called a "natural evolution". In examining and reevaluating my collecting focus, I've decided it's time to move more strongly into Gold. While I still want to buy 50s DCs, and SA Marvel keys, I've frankly lost interest in most Marvel, DC etc. from a collecting standpoint. I still recognize the value and the monetary interest, but the reality is, most GA is simply more difficult to get and more unique. In fact, once you are willing to put money into the market, you can have any Marvel at any time. DCs are much more of a challenge -- but after owning multiple Showcase 4s, 22s, BB 28s etc., the luster is off.

So what advice do GA veterans have? I am generally going to pursue Schomburg covers from Cap and Marvel Mystery (all winners and all select too) as well as GA Batmans and Tecs with classic covers. But that's the obvious stuff -- I have a working knowledge of most of the "best of the best" but I'm definitely looking to start chasing more and expand my horizons.

Brian;

Welcome to the wonderful, fun, varied, and challenging world of GA collecting. (thumbs u

It never hurts to get off the train at the SA station to pick up a few of the goodies there, but the real fun is to uncover all of the goodies hidden in the GA stops. I never got off at the SA stop because like you said, everything is so common and all it really takes is just money. No challenge there as you could easily compile a half decent Marvel SA collection in a couple of months if you are willing to spend the money.

For the less obvious GA stuff, how about some of the Centaurs which many of the more experienced GA collectors tend to gravitate to after awhile. hm

Enjoy and have fun on your GA journey! :applause:

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

Would you guys please STFU and stop going on and on about this Raboy hack?!

Nobody cares about Raboy, and it's common knowledge that Fawcetts are dead.

Cool GA collectors are into Schomburg, Lou Fine, Timely, pre-Robin Detectives, Superman, Centaur, Fox and pre-Code horror.

Everything else is toxic dreck that should be avoided at all costs. :sumo:

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

Cool GA collectors are into Schomburg, Lou Fine, Timely, pre-Robin Detectives, Superman, Centaur, Fox and pre-Code horror.

Frankly I would avoid GA altogether and get into Charlton romance books. Schomburg, Flessel and Fine were never that much cop.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed and has been done by many of you several times. I know it's also been called a "natural evolution". In examining and reevaluating my collecting focus, I've decided it's time to move more strongly into Gold. While I still want to buy 50s DCs, and SA Marvel keys, I've frankly lost interest in most Marvel, DC etc. from a collecting standpoint. I still recognize the value and the monetary interest, but the reality is, most GA is simply more difficult to get and more unique. In fact, once you are willing to put money into the market, you can have any Marvel at any time. DCs are much more of a challenge -- but after owning multiple Showcase 4s, 22s, BB 28s etc., the luster is off.

So what advice do GA veterans have? I am generally going to pursue Schomburg covers from Cap and Marvel Mystery (all winners and all select too) as well as GA Batmans and Tecs with classic covers. But that's the obvious stuff -- I have a working knowledge of most of the "best of the best" but I'm definitely looking to start chasing more and expand my horizons.

If you do not already own them, buy a Gerber Photo-Journal set.

If you do not already own them, buy a Gerber Photo-Journal set.

I've got lots of these sets, too, if anyone wants a set (cheap) lol (transplant, I just served some spam!)

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

Frankly I would avoid GA altogether and get into Charlton romance books. Schomburg, Flessel and Fine were never that much cop.

In an effort to save all of us some competition, I'm going to echo this sentiment. Avoid GA altogether. It stinks, the books are so old. It's a dead corner of the hobby. A total money pit. Avoid.

May I instead recommend a hunt for HG Star Comics. You know--Strawberry Shortcake, Smurfs, etc. Good stuff.

So what advice do GA veterans have? ...I'm definitely looking to start chasing more and expand my horizons.

My suggestions:

1. Four Color

2. Walt Disney Comics and Stories

3. Timely and other funny animal comics in general.

:preach:

Where to start. hm

Well, you can't go wrong with the classics... smiley-sex023.gif

img_PhantomLady13_090-1.jpg

img_PhantomLady17_080-1.jpg

img_PhantomLady15_081.jpg

I'm glad that you're already tuned into Schomburg (he churned out some awesome Torch and Subby covers as well as the Caps and MMs). It looks like you've got DC & Timely covered, so I'm going to toss out some great titles that acquisition in mid to high grade shouldn't submerge your wallet while you're testing the waters.

If you really want to stretch, Jack Cole's Plastic Man, featured in both the s/t series and Police Comics, might be an idea worth bouncing around. For a uniformly sharp line, go with Military Comics, which have covers and interiors by Charles Cuidera, Reed Crandall, Al Bryant, and many other first rate artists. In my estimation Police and Military are undervalued, and I didn't even have to fact check that with the CBO! A little Birdy told me that Hillman's Air Fighters and Air Boy may be underpriced as well, given the quality of art and stories.

Lev Gleason's Daredevil is also a great buy and if you can tolerate the Little Wise-Guys that Daredevil mentored after issue #13 there is a lot of great Charles Biro & Bob Wood creativity to be had for even cheaper. Pre-Archie Peps are also worth looking into for that other red headed hero that graced the covers. The Shield, G-Man extraordinaire, is the kick arse super dude who influenced S&K's creation of Captain America over at Timely.

If you're into funny animals, Hepcat will fix you right up. I can't help you there because that takes a GA veterinarian. lol

PS: Nice job on your annual dealer ranking thread in General. :applause: