• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja Fan Club
5 5

1,280 posts in this topic

Here's something a little odd you guys might find interesting:

SAM_1319.jpg

I was going through some dollar bins today and came across this run of Red Sonja issues from 1985 and 1986. As you can see, what makes them odd is that they all have sate stamps on the cover. I personally have never seen any comics from this era with date stamps before, not even close.

I love date stamps, so I always make a note in my records of any date stamps in my collection. I'm sure there must be others out there from this period, but there can't be many. In my personal collection anyway (which numbers around 8500 comics at present), I didn't own any comics with date stamps that were published after 1980 until now.

I'm not sure where these were being sold that still required a date stamp in 1986, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

MTU 79 is actually a fun read. And great (relatively) early Byrne artwork too!

Yeah, Clark Kent cameo is pretty cool, but weird. Plotline happens again in X-Men #190, without Sonja though, and in the Dynamite/Marvel crossover, "Spider-Man Red Sonja". Poor Kulan Gath, just can't catch a break in his bid for world domination.

Yeah, we've seen these. I believe they're B&W reprints that came out quite a few years after the originals. Love the Earl Norem cover from Savage Sword of Conan #23 they use on one of these. That's a lot of calamari!

Red Sonja has always been interesting in me in the same way that Doc Savage has. I mean, it's not just that I want to canoodle with both of them...they just seem to be some of the most licensed characters out there, jumping publishers and decades. Always seems to be an audience for Big Red.

Red Sonja has always been interesting in me in the same way that Doc Savage has. I mean, it's not just that I want to canoodle with both of them...they just seem to be some of the most licensed characters out there, jumping publishers and decades. Always seems to be an audience for Big Red.

Marvel's Vol 3 actually had some pretty decent storytelling in it, but I think that by the time the movie came out Marvel just had no interest in her. Blackthorne did their 3-D issue in '88, but it is horrible. The story is ridiculous, and the 3-D isn't very good. Cross Plains did their, "Red Sonja A Death In Scarlet" in '99. Written by Roy Thomas. I haven't read this one, but it's supposed to be pretty good. Dynamite has actually kept her alive since then. The writing and artwork are top notch. Especially in the earlier issues. They ended up killing her in issue #34, and the comic got a little wonky after that with the story line. The later issues I've read (# 50's to # 60's) seem to have feel of the earlier issues, but without following the story it's hard to tell what's going on. The mini series stories I've read are top notch. Queen of the Frozen Wastes, and Revenge of the Gods are both great. I haven't read any of the new Vol. 2 Red Sonja so I don't know anything about it other than the covers are all done by women. Gimmicks will only carry it so far, and I wonder if it will last the 80 issues Vol.1 did. In any case she's a great character, and deserves her place in the pantheon of comics. I think an updated, Rated R film, done right, would go a long way to bringing her into the spotlight.

A LCS had a raw run of #1-15 in VF-VF+ on sale. Went ahead and picked it up. Was never really a fan of Frank Thorne's style back in the day, but I've come to appreciate it a lot more now. Definitely gave Sonja a look that made her distinctive from every other female character back then and now.

145350.jpg.e036371db71ff9ab66be0c377f1033fe.jpg

Frank was great. He did Red Sonja from Marvel Feature Vol. 2 #2 up to Red Sonja #11, but it was Esteban Maroto that defined Red's look with the chain mail bikini in Savage Sword of Conan #1. Her 3rd appearance. That lasted until Mary Wilshire put her in the blue tunic that lasted through the 80's.

What I loved as a kid was the Doc savage Novels

Real easy to read in one sitting and full of adventure

:)

Just found out my endless never ending Quest for the imposable to find Marvel feature v2 #1 in pence was all in vain

quicksilver from England (one of those guys that speak strange and drive on wrong side of the road ) tells me it wasn't published in Pence

Well I am devastated and will need therapy

Edited by gyro-1

I cried when cheetah sold his red set

Still am

It reminded me of Wizard selling his V3 set

I may be scared for life

:(

I don't think cheetah's set sold. Sure would like that #11 though. As for the Vol.3 set, let's just say the guy was a real PITA. More upset as to who it went to than actually selling it. After 80 billion emails I finally told him to send it back, and I would refund him in full. All of a sudden everything was fine. Geez.