• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja Fan Club
5 5

1,280 posts in this topic

Red Sonja reminds me of Doc Savage in that her popularity has persisted, although she's never gone mainstream. She's made it across different publishers and eras. So here's my question: what do you folks think accounts for her enduring popularity?

What part of "chainmail bikini" is confusing? :)

:signfunny:

lots going on this month !

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C1606904752

FRANK THORNE'S RED SONJA ART EDITION VOL. 2 HC

I like Thorne's, um, fulsome rendition of Sonja, but I can't justify that price point. That's more than IDW's Gil Kane and Walt Simonson Artist Editions and while Frank Thorne's good, he's not quite there.

But I'll be keeping an eye out for future discounts.

Red Sonja reminds me of Doc Savage in that her popularity has persisted, although she's never gone mainstream. She's made it across different publishers and eras. So here's my question: what do you folks think accounts for her enduring popularity?

What part of "chainmail bikini" is confusing? :)

Good point.

Halfway to my Red Sonja goal: A piece by Frank Brunner and a piece by Frank Thorne. Just picked this up from boardie G-Man - original cover to Dynamite's Red Sonja #19!

FRANK_BRUNNER_RED_SONJA_19 Cover.jpg

Now I just need to find the foil variant to go with it.

Halfway to my Red Sonja goal: A piece by Frank Brunner and a piece by Frank Thorne. Just picked this up from boardie G-Man - original cover to Dynamite's Red Sonja #19!

FRANK_BRUNNER_RED_SONJA_19 Cover.jpg

Now I just need to find the foil variant to go with it.

It was a very nice package on Ebay

congraduations

:)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-SONJA-19-ORIGINAL-COVER-ART-BY-FRANK-BRUNNER-PROFESSIONALLY-FRAMED-CGC-/141320689008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e75e9570

That is pretty cool. The registery stuff is awesome. I really liked MediaJunkie's 35¢ variant. I've been trying to pick up the 70's Red Sonja early appearances in Marvel Feature and her own title, along with the 30¢ variants - haven't found the 35-centers yet, though.

Been away too long. Looks like this thread's been kickin' it.Some great posts. Dr. B, I've been trying to find a copy of the foil cover for #19 for ages. Nice grab on OA. All I have to offer is this: Red Sonja Vol.1 #'s 1-15 all 9.8 WP. Took forever.

148313.jpg.4786ed54a3c2812c3b641d1e280c5d5a.jpg

Been away too long. Looks like this thread's been kickin' it.Some great posts. Dr. B, I've been trying to find a copy of the foil cover for #19 for ages. Nice grab on OA. All I have to offer is this: Red Sonja Vol.1 #'s 1-15 all 9.8 WP. Took forever.

(worship)

(worship)

+1 Those are AWESOME!

why theses things never show up on ebay Canada ??

But I have a 7 ready to send in so will pass on that one :)

how is your summer going Wizard?

So now you got me searching ebayuk again !!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-SONJA-7-JAN-1978-VF-NM-/121383072103?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item1c42feb167

Edited by gyro-1

Made a big plunge and picked this Red Sonja piece up. It's a huge painting (23x30") by Gonzalo Mayo (of Warren-era Vampirella books), and features all the things I love: hot women, monsters, skulls and big swords, all culminating in a wonderful 1980's look. Trying to find out more history on the painting - I'm not sure if it was published or a commission, but it was definitely done in the 80's.

mayoredsonja.jpg

Consequently, I finished my 30¢ variant Marvel Feature books this week, now onto the 35¢ Red Sonjas!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-SONJA-7-JAN-1978-VF-NM-/121383072103?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item1c42feb167

Been very busy. Just finished a huge job which meant missing Ultra-Con again this year which incidentally featured Gonzalo Mayo, the artist who did Dr. B's painting. Among other cool guests and dealers. One of these years I'll make it there.

Been very busy. Just finished a huge job which meant missing Ultra-Con again this year which incidentally featured Gonzalo Mayo, the artist who did Dr. B's painting. Among other cool guests and dealers. One of these years I'll make it there.

Yep, he'll be there - got a boardie that is going to ask him about that piece and hopefully get me some info on it! :wishluck:

Made a big plunge and picked this Red Sonja piece up. It's a huge painting (23x30") by Gonzalo Mayo (of Warren-era Vampirella books), and features all the things I love: hot women, monsters, skulls and big swords, all culminating in a wonderful 1980's look. Trying to find out more history on the painting - I'm not sure if it was published or a commission, but it was definitely done in the 80's.

mayoredsonja.jpg

Consequently, I finished my 30¢ variant Marvel Feature books this week, now onto the 35¢ Red Sonjas!

Very nice painting! (thumbs u What medium is it in? hm