• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja Fan Club
5 5

1,280 posts in this topic

I think I'm becoming a real hoarder for this book. I just keep buying them for some reason. Anyway, I just picked up this beautiful raw copy (9.2-9.4) for what I thought was a relatively cheap price. If I had any complaints, I'd say the PQ was not my usual standard. It's between OW and OW/W. Not tan enough to be categorized as completely OW, but not as quite as good as some of the OW/W copies I've seen.

147931.jpg.db13455e7468979809b67385905c8902.jpg

I think I'm becoming a real hoarder for this book. I just keep buying them for some reason. Anyway, I just picked up this beautiful raw copy (9.2-9.4) for what I thought was a relatively cheap price. If I had any complaints, I'd say the PQ was not my usual standard. It's between OW and OW/W. Not tan enough to be categorized as completely OW, but not as quite as good as some of the OW/W copies I've seen.

Your addiction has just begun :)

It is so hard to stop !!!

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=13720&GSub=376

---------------------------------------

There is a nice one here :)

http://www.comicanadirect.com

147933.jpg.4dc7637a14ccf0fd6dfcfe97d9d82a44.jpg

Edited by gyro-1

So for you true Red Sonja fan club members. What is her true first appearance? First full appearance? One of the Conan books? Os was it a King Kull comic? I know I've seen the two Conans marked as such but I feel like I've seen the King Kull, too.

I think what you saw was kull and the barbarians magazine #3

that I don't have and seems imposable to find but it is like this one in size

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Order=Date&Piece=16784&GSub=1161&GCat=344&UCat=0

The best of my knowledge was conan 23 /24 she was introduced As Red Sonja

--

But wizard will probably correct me on that :)

Edited by gyro-1

She played a minor role in Conan 23. Enough that you couldn't dismiss it as a cameo like Hulk 180. This is her first true appearance.

For me, Conan 24 is *the* Red Sonja book to have though.

She played a minor role in Conan 23. Enough that you couldn't dismiss it as a cameo like Hulk 180. This is her first true appearance.

\

Why 24? That's why I'm asking...have one I've had my eye on, but I'm a tad hesitant...

So for you true Red Sonja fan club members. What is her true first appearance? First full appearance? One of the Conan books? Os was it a King Kull comic? I know I've seen the two Conans marked as such but I feel like I've seen the King Kull, too.

I think what you saw was kull and the barbarians magazine #3

that I don't have and seems imposable to find but it is like this one in size

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Order=Date&Piece=16784&GSub=1161&GCat=344&UCat=0

The best of my knowledge was conan 23 /24 she was introduced As Red Sonja

--

But wizard will probably correct me on that :)

I have Kull and the Barbarians #3. This has the first solo Red Sonja story which was reprinted in Marvel Feature 1. The story takes place right after the events in Conan 24.

UPDATE: I am completely off. I was thinking of another tale printed in another B/W mag. Either in Savage Tales or SSOC. Kull #3 has RS's first origin story. Dunno if it was ever reprinted, but it's very brutal and well drawn by Howard Chaykin.

\

Why 24? That's why I'm asking...have one I've had my eye on, but I'm a tad hesitant...

Has a ton going for it. Not only being her first *full* appearance, she dominated the story and stole the show from Conan. It's also Smith's last and finest mainstream work (Red Nails is his finest overall masterpiece). The issue took top honors that year as best comic story as well, and still holds up today with repeated readings.

The best way to read it though, is Marvel Treasury Edition 14. Reprinted in oversize format with all the racy scenes restored and unedited from Conan 24.

Awesome, thanks!

\

Has a ton going for it. Not only being her first *full* appearance, she dominated the story and stole the show from Conan. It's also Smith's last and finest mainstream work (Red Nails is his finest overall masterpiece). The issue took top honors that year as best comic story as well, and still holds up today with repeated readings.

The best way to read it though, is Marvel Treasury Edition 14. Reprinted in oversize format with all the racy scenes restored and unedited from Conan 24.

Some background

-- Excerpt from The Hyborian Age - Conan 78

Red Sonja (as in Red Sonya of Rogatin ) appears in a historical adventure written by Robert E howard

knows as * The shadow of the Vulture * which takes place in 1563 . At about the time he was casting

about to find a counterpart for Conan whose future was not known (as apposed to Belit ) writer editor

Roy heard of and read that story. Thus instead of making up a character as he intended to do . Taking

equal parts of authentic hyborian-age heroin's Belit and Valeria (of the later Red Nails) Roy decided to

yank Red Sonya out of the sixteenth century change her name to Red Sonja and make her a she-devil

with a sword in the age of Conan

:)

Red Sonja reminds me of Doc Savage in that her popularity has persisted, although she's never gone mainstream. She's made it across different publishers and eras. So here's my question: what do you folks think accounts for her enduring popularity?

To me she is a sexy kick girl

I collect the pre 1980 books but I have to admit the new ones are far better presentations

---

her enduring popularity = sex appeal

:)

148119.jpg.6e210b7a6307c0fe3dd8bd582e5658ce.jpg

Red Sonja reminds me of Doc Savage in that her popularity has persisted, although she's never gone mainstream. She's made it across different publishers and eras. So here's my question: what do you folks think accounts for her enduring popularity?

What part of "chainmail bikini" is confusing? :)