• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most valuable comic you have damaged

50 posts in this topic

These are relatively minor, but smart nonetheless:

Tape pull, front cover a VG/F Hulk # 104 that I'd just paid $3.50 for.

Paid $40 for New Mutants 87 back when it was white hot, took it home and read it, thus taking it from a 9.6 down to a 9.0/9.2 due to some dumb color-breaking spine stress.

And the only one that really hurts:

Back cover tape pull on a VG+ copy of Exciting Comics # 30 that I'd paid $275 for. At the time there was only one copy on the CGC census. Now there are three.

When my best friend moved away. We decided to trade our most valuable comic to each other and sign them. Don't ask why, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

So there is an X-Men 94 in about 8.0 -9.0 condition with my name on the front.

He gave me an ASM 200 I think. I do not have the book any longer.

A few years ago I went on a hoarding spree collecting Iron man #97's at comic shops. I found one tucked in a long box, removed it from the bag to check it out. It was about a 9.4.. really nice and only ten bucks. When I went to put it back in... tape grabbed the cover and rip... tape pull.

I felt bad and bought it anyways. Not very valuable, but that's all I can think of.

1) In the 1970's I clipped out at least 100 of the "puzzle" versions of "Marvel Value Stamps" because I was a sucker for puzzles and for some reason I had the impression they were valuable.

2) About 10 years ago I was selling a raw high grade FF 48 on Ebay. I set the comic on a cushion on the couch and went to get my camera in the other room. When I came back I just about had a heart attack when I saw my Great Dane was laying on the couch with the comic underneath him. I shoo'ed him off the couch and what was left was a very low grade FF 48. His first step onto the couch was right into the comic actually shredding the cover.

3) 6 months ago I found someone on Craigslist who had a high grade Strange Tales 110. We met up for the sale. When she handed me the comic it had a huge tape pull on the front cover. She told me it had happened a minute before I pulled up in my car when the tape from the comic bag got stuck on the comic. Arrrgh!

I have done a few tape pulls in my time and I remember me and a friend shooting a Showcase #43 ( Dr No ) with his air rifle, his book not mine.

But the worst for me was leaving my just bought very high grade, ASM #100 on the arm of the chair while I ate my dinner only to find it gone when I went back in the room, found it in the garden shredded by my dog. :cry:

Here is my ASM #17, still don't know who did this but it was probably my sister even though she still denies it. :cry:

AmazingSpiderman17.jpg

I still have a Marvel Comics Scrapbook I made when I was in sixth grade. :D

While I enjoy looking through it, I cringe when I see all the books I cut up to create the book.

Cap 100, Capt Marvel 1, FF 25, ASM 65, Avengers 56 and Annuals 1 and 2, Astonish 63, Spectacular Spider-Man magazine 1, and dozens more.

Even though they were all doubles, I must have chose the nicer issue to destroy since I notice the covers are in great shape, no bends or creases, nice corners, etc.

Nice scrapbook, though.

Tape pull when I bought a large group of key books (avg 1 and 4, st 110, ff 48, xmen 1, asm 1, ff 4 etc) when I was opening a 6.0 ff 5 the tape caught. The owner screwed up by not using removable tape, and I lost the T in the fantastic four. I sent it in several years back got a 4.5 grade, but it still makes me sick that I had a 6.0 :tonofbricks: