• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyer scamming me on eBay

153 posts in this topic

So after 10 years of no eBay problems here we go.

Buyer bought comic @ $50 buy it now price. After a week, they hadn't paid. I sent a friendly reminder. Still no word after another week. I opened a non-payment resolution case. Had no idea what this was and thought it might be a way to make sure I didn't get charged eBay fees on the uncompleted sale.

The day before the deadline for payment, the buyer paid. I sent the item the next day. Sure enough, today they have opened a buyer protection case, claiming they "never received the item, have tried to contact me to resolve through personal email, etc etc". PayPal froze the transaction. I have already withdrawn the funds but I assume I can't use my account until this is settled. Need to check into that.

I have never received any communication from this person at all other than when they asked when I would ship the item after they finally paid. I said next day and they said thanks. Now this. I don't have a tracking number.

Lessons learned: 1. Always get a tracking number 2. If a buyer doesn't pay, let it go because it could be bad news.

Can anyone tell me how this is likely to end?

Always get tracking - it is less than a dollar and I throw it into the price of shipping.

delivery confirmation is free for everything more than media mail when you print lables through paypal

if you are getting paid via paypal i cannot fathom why you would not use this service. not only do you get free tracking, but the rates themselves are a little lower. it's a no brainer.

Lessons learned: 1. Always get a tracking number 2. If a buyer doesn't pay, let is go because it could be bad news.

Not getting DC on a package that will cost you the comic (or any item) and the money, the buyer will win the case every time.

DC is free when you print out shipping info with paypal.

I’m sorry for your potential loss, but why oh why isn’t EVERYBODY printing their labels right through ebay or PayPal? It’s simple, you enter the weight and type of service, hit return a few times, and boom, your printer prints a label. Best of all, it has a delivery confirmation number and AUTOMATICALLY links it to the ebay sale and sends an email to the buyer.

If your communication between the buyer and yourself is through the ebay Message system I would suggest calling them and have them review the case. They can override certain issues as long as you show proof of what has transpired, including tracking information(if it had been available).

It is also one more reason to use the shipping system through paypal as it automatically attaches to the transaction for easy reference by ebay or Paypal.

I’m sorry for your potential loss, but why oh why isn’t EVERYBODY printing their labels right through ebay or PayPal? It’s simple, you enter the weight and type of service, hit return a few times, and boom, your printer prints a label. Best of all, it has a delivery confirmation number and AUTOMATICALLY links it to the ebay sale and sends an email to the buyer.

It wasn't always as easy as that - I didn't use this method until about 8 months ago, because A) it didn't work well with Safari and B) it used to not link the Paypal transaction to the Ebay transaction.

I tried utilizing this system off and on for a few years, but it never worked with my configuration - so I continued in the old habit of labeling and going to the post office. And old habits can die hard. Thankfully, the Paypal shipping system is relatively flawless and works well now - I won't go back to the old ways!

So after 10 years of no eBay problems here we go.

Buyer bought comic @ $50 buy it now price. After a week, they hadn't paid. I sent a friendly reminder. Still no word after another week. I opened a non-payment resolution case. Had no idea what this was and thought it might be a way to make sure I didn't get charged eBay fees on the uncompleted sale.

The day before the deadline for payment, the buyer paid. I sent the item the next day. Sure enough, today they have opened a buyer protection case, claiming they "never received the item, have tried to contact me to resolve through personal email, etc etc". PayPal froze the transaction. I have already withdrawn the funds but I assume I can't use my account until this is settled. Need to check into that.

I have never received any communication from this person at all other than when they asked when I would ship the item after they finally paid. I said next day and they said thanks. Now this. I don't have a tracking number.

Lessons learned: 1. Always get a tracking number 2. If a buyer doesn't pay, let is go because it could be bad news.

Can anyone tell me how this is likely to end?

Im sorry.You lose.

That money is gone without tracking. Gone like keys in lava gone. Gone like my enthusiasm for eBay gone. eBay makes me :mad: and then :frustrated: and then :sick: and finally :cry: . Kind of like how I feel about the dude in my office that won't stop sniffling. Why won't he just blow his nose? Why keep sniffling? (shrug)

That money is gone without tracking. Gone like keys in lava gone. Gone like my enthusiasm for eBay gone. eBay makes me :mad: and then :frustrated: and then :sick: and finally :cry: . Kind of like how I feel about the dude in my office that won't stop sniffling. Why won't he just blow his nose? Why keep sniffling? (shrug)

Oh it's not gone. It's safely in my checking account. It is for this reason I always withdraw funds to my checking account when I receive money.

This may be PayPal's loss but it's not going to be mine.

Oh it's not gone. It's safely in my checking account. It is for this reason I always withdraw funds to my checking account when I receive money.

This may be PayPal's loss but it's not going to be mine. Stay tuned.

This brings up a question I have - if you take the money out of Paypal and put it into your checking account, can Paypal issue a refund by pulling money out of your "backup source" - which is (presumably) your checking account or credit card and give it back to the buyer?

Is your checking account linked to PayPal? I think they can take the $ from your account.

hm I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Why won't he just blow his nose? Why keep sniffling? (shrug)

ChevyChaseModernProblems.jpg

hm I'm curious to see if this is true. I'll just have to follow him into the bathroom. :shy:

This brings up a question I have - if you take the money out of Paypal and put it into your checking account, can Paypal issue a refund by pulling money out of your "backup source" - which is (presumably) your checking account or credit card and give it back to the buyer?

No. At least I know back in 2005 they weren't doing it. I purchased a lot of DVD's for around 30 bucks or so back then and never received them. This was before ebay buyer protection so I opened a paypal dispute. Paypal claimed in my favor, but I think I only got 35 cents or something back because that was all the deadbeat dealer had in his paypal at the time.

No.

Do they just ask you politely to give the buyer his money back when they rule in his favor on a dispute, then?

No.

Do they just ask you politely to give the buyer his money back when they rule in his favor on a dispute, then?

See what I added above. I think they just take what is in your paypal account at the time of the ruling up to the disputed amount. I think I had a dispute one time and got $0.00 added to my paypal account. They can then freeze your paypal account.

Is your checking account linked to PayPal? I think they can take the $ from your account.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what PayPal is, but I think they're just a money transfer service. They have NO right to rule on a petty money dispute and then forcibly remove funds from someone's private checking account.