• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarity & FMV for More Fun Comics #73 mid-grade

93 posts in this topic

Well, I think Marvel has done a great job promoting their second tier characters. You could say that Iron Man, Avengers, and Thor have surpassed the quality of the Spider-Man and X-Men movies.

As far as DC is concerned it has been a difficult road. They have struggled with everything but Batman. V and Watchmen were decent. Losers was ok but Green Lantern and the Last Superman movie just stunk. They need someone to step up with a vision and get some of these characters jump started.

Words of wisdom my friend. (thumbs u

Marvel has done a much better job than DC in live action movies, but DC is kicking Marvels butt in animation. Go figure! hm

Just because Marvel is doing better than DC in terms of live action movies for now, it doesn't necessarily mean that this imbalance will remain in place for the long-term.

Just think back to the 70's, 80's, and early 90's when DC had the Superman/Batman movie franchises and TV shows such as the Flash. Marvel could do nothing with their characters at the time except to turn out laughable movies that nobody would watch, including the most die-hard comic book fan. Weren't all of these B quality or even C quality movies that not only didn't make it to the silver screen or your TV screen for the most part, but had to go straight to video where they were basically laughed off the shelves. hm

Yeah, I remember those days very well. You have to admit though, you loved watching Bill Bixby & Lou Ferrigno in the Incredible Hulk series back in the 70's. :D

I think a big part of that, as is the case with some of Marvel's properties today, is that they were out-sourced to different studios that had no clue on how to portray these heroes in cinema or what the characters were about. So the studios/tv networks put together that laughable you spoke of just for sheer entertainment & the retention of the rights to the characters. Plus, the technology was not there yet to truly bring these heroes to life as necessary.

Now that Marvel is getting most of these rights back and have paired with Disney, maybe they will continue to release more consistent & much better quality live/animated movies. Though the latter needs to step it up a bit.

The last 2 years they have done very well.

WB/DC have their characters rights, so what is their problem? hm

I believe someone like a Bruce Timm needs to be in-charge who can take DC live action movies to the next level. An individual/team of visionaries that know & understand and stay true to the essence of these heroes.

The movies WB/DC have released have been very good since 1998, aside from Catwoman & Jonah Hex. However, WB/DC needs to get on a schedule like Marvel has and release at least 3 high standard live action movies per year. Do whatever is necessary to make this happen, spend the big bucks!!! Whether that means, more promotion & marketing, improved casting & screenplays, replace some execs, etc. get er done!!!

They have too many great & special characters to allow them to remain idling, while Marvel is doing their thang! :headbang:

I remain hopeful that we will see a change from WB/DC in years to come. Who wouldn't want to see live action movies of Wonder Woman, the Flash, Captain Marvel, LSH etc? I know I do. :wishluck:

Bill Bixby???? huh? speak for yourself - I loved watching Linda Carter.... (even more than Mary Ann or Ginger) :cloud9:

Well, I think Marvel has done a great job promoting their second tier characters. You could say that Iron Man, Avengers, and Thor have surpassed the quality of the Spider-Man and X-Men movies.

As far as DC is concerned it has been a difficult road. They have struggled with everything but Batman. V and Watchmen were decent. Losers was ok but Green Lantern and the Last Superman movie just stunk. They need someone to step up with a vision and get some of these characters jump started.

Words of wisdom my friend. (thumbs u

Marvel has done a much better job than DC in live action movies, but DC is kicking Marvels butt in animation. Go figure! hm

Just because Marvel is doing better than DC in terms of live action movies for now, it doesn't necessarily mean that this imbalance will remain in place for the long-term.

Just think back to the 70's, 80's, and early 90's when DC had the Superman/Batman movie franchises and TV shows such as the Flash. Marvel could do nothing with their characters at the time except to turn out laughable movies that nobody would watch, including the most die-hard comic book fan. Weren't all of these B quality or even C quality movies that not only didn't make it to the silver screen or your TV screen for the most part, but had to go straight to video where they were basically laughed off the shelves. hm

Yeah, I remember those days very well. You have to admit though, you loved watching Bill Bixby & Lou Ferrigno in the Incredible Hulk series back in the 70's. :D

I think a big part of that, as is the case with some of Marvel's properties today, is that they were out-sourced to different studios that had no clue on how to portray these heroes in cinema or what the characters were about. So the studios/tv networks put together that laughable you spoke of just for sheer entertainment & the retention of the rights to the characters. Plus, the technology was not there yet to truly bring these heroes to life as necessary.

Now that Marvel is getting most of these rights back and have paired with Disney, maybe they will continue to release more consistent & much better quality live/animated movies. Though the latter needs to step it up a bit.

The last 2 years they have done very well.

WB/DC have their characters rights, so what is their problem? hm

I believe someone like a Bruce Timm needs to be in-charge who can take DC live action movies to the next level. An individual/team of visionaries that know & understand and stay true to the essence of these heroes.

The movies WB/DC have released have been very good since 1998, aside from Catwoman & Jonah Hex. However, WB/DC needs to get on a schedule like Marvel has and release at least 3 high standard live action movies per year. Do whatever is necessary to make this happen, spend the big bucks!!! Whether that means, more promotion & marketing, improved casting & screenplays, replace some execs, etc. get er done!!!

They have too many great & special characters to allow them to remain idling, while Marvel is doing their thang! :headbang:

I remain hopeful that we will see a change from WB/DC in years to come. Who wouldn't want to see live action movies of Wonder Woman, the Flash, Captain Marvel, LSH etc? I know I do. :wishluck:

Bill Bixby???? huh? speak for yourself - I loved watching Linda Carter.... (even more than Mary Ann or Ginger) :cloud9:

Oh yeah!! That's was one of favs too!!! (thumbs u

I didn't miss too many of those shows growing up. That was definitely classic wholesome television.

Like 'Archie & Edith' used to say, "Those were the days". :D

So did any boardie win one of TWO MF73's from ComicConnect?

blue label 5.5 $7111

or

blue label (w tape) 3.0 $3351 (reserve met)

I was the underbidder on the 5.5. I drove it up like crazy as it was a nice book, but in the end it was approaching the amount I bought a 7.5 for.

I find these threads interesting...and also amusing, in that everyone has an opinion. Of course there are biases due to favorites that we all have. To the original poster wondering about his More Fun 73 - yes, it is a great comic, undervalued, and a good investment. How can it not be? Aquaman is a Top-6 DC character. Look on the DC website if you don't believe me. So there's not going to be too many Golden Age heroes above Aquaman, since DC pretty much ruled that time period. And his New 52 series is doing well. And Green Arrow is easily in the DC Top-10. Look at the DC stamps (10 featured heroes) or the DC Encyclopedia (the one that gives the most important characters a 2-page spread), etc, and it's clear Green Arrow is well within the Top-10. And that was before his TV series. Neither one of these guys has had a chance at the movies yet, but their time will come.

One more thing. I think that all the movie hype, while a good thing for comics, is also just that - hype. I'd take a rare Golden Age first appearance without a movie yet over a hyped-up Silver Age character any day of the week. And twice on Sundays.

I don't post very often....but I remembered this thread. And I absolutely knew this book was under-valued.

In case anyone missed it, a More Fun #73 cgc 3.5 just sold in November 2014 for $38,838.

It was the first MF73 in any grade to come to auction for a year-and-a-half.

I don't post very often....but I remembered this thread. And I absolutely knew this book was under-valued.

In case anyone missed it, a More Fun #73 cgc 3.5 just sold in November 2014 for $38,838.

I wouldn't say the book was undervalued by THAT much. That could have been a bidding war between two guys with a few too many Old Milwaukees in them on auction night.

You can't base a fair market valuation on a single data point. The particular data point will likely prove to be an outlier.

I wouldn't say the book was undervalued by THAT much. That could have been a bidding war between two guys with a few too many Old Milwaukees in them on auction night.

You can't base a fair market valuation on a single data point. The particular data point will likely prove to be an outlier.

Well I admit I've had a few tequilas and Coronas and then posted lol....but I doubt if beer is what caused this auction result. We will see what the 5.5 sells for at the end of next month.

I stand by what I said in my 7/30/13 quote. DC ruled the Golden Age....so when a book has the first appearance of DC-Top-6 Aquaman and DC-Top-10 Green Arrow, and it's on the rare side too....this comic was ridiculously undervalued. Granted Green Arrow has improved from the TV show; maybe from #10 to #7. And Aquaman has gotten a good push, both in the New-52 comics as well as the animated movies, and a movie announcement. But everyone should have seen this coming.

I was searching out some topics on More Fun 73 and when I came across this tread, It just made me think about how much of an impact a big event such as a movie/tv series can change the course of a Golden Age piece.

I truly hope DC can make Aquaman a top tier character. The work that Ivan Reis did was just fantastic. Yes, this is an old post but I thought it needed a new post. Briefly met Jason Momoa at Comic con R.I this year. Hope he changes the face of the character in a positive way. :wishluck: