• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarity & FMV for More Fun Comics #73 mid-grade

93 posts in this topic

I have been coming across that trend as well for all D.C. comics outside of Batman and Superman from that era. I think two factors go into it not using the characters in films like they could and with D.C. a lot of characters like Green Lantern, Flash, and so forth what we associate with them today changed drastically from what they were then in the Golden Age mainly during when they revamped most characters in the silver age. Would you rather have a Showcase 4 or Flash Comics 1? Would you rather have a All American Comics 16 or a Showcase 22? I know I would want a Showcase 4 and 22 over the others any day of the week. I think the only comic character that is really under appreciated in the market from that era waiting to go up in value is Wonder Woman. My bets is All Star Comics 8 and Sensation Comics 1 will be the next comics waiting to receive that major jump in price.

Lets hope so. She deserves the recognition. :grin:

The SA revisions worked out well for most of the DC heroes. Some did not get their own SA title run until real late.

I believe WW & Aquaman were two off the top of my head. I know Aquaman's first SA appearance was Adv. Comics #260, WW's first SA appearance eludes me at the moment. hm

So I think you approach comics two ways. It is either a hobby, where you buy what you want and if you take a loss so be it. Or you do it as a business buy low sell high short holding periods.

I don't you do it as investments. Any financial planner will tell you never to have more than 5% of your portfolio in collectibles.

BTW- I would love to have every book that Rick mentioned that were in decline.

The one possible thing I think has caused this decline is CGC and auctions. When CGC first started showing up and Soethby's/Heritage started auctioning books this was the first time inexperienced collectors had a real shot at big boy books. So of we/they paid too much for them. The thought was that supply was thin but we have learned that there are a lot of high grade books out there. Much more than I think anyone thought. And the high prices brought out books hiding in collections. X-Men 94 was a 26000 book in 9.8 when there was only 2 of them. Flash 129 was a 5K book in 9.4 when there was only two of them. Now there are 18 of them in 9.4,9.6,9.8. Hopefully a lot of these books have found a bottom and will start growing again.

Good advice, but what do you consider a "short hold?" 5 years? 3? shorter?

That's wishful thinking, I don't see flash or a Namor movie but hopefully I'm wrong. Safest bets are the Marvel universe due to all of the quality movies they make. I think TOS 39 is a safe bet, along with JIM 83, and Hulk 1.

Yeah, WB/DC really need to step it up!

Yeah, Marvel has done well in the last 2 years. More better/consistent quality with their latest live action properties.

Not too many people know who 'The Guardians of the Galaxy' are, so if they can get a movie I am Hopeful the Flash, Namor, the Spectre etc. will one day get theirs.

IMO. :)

So I think you approach comics two ways. It is either a hobby, where you buy what you want and if you take a loss so be it. Or you do it as a business buy low sell high short holding periods.

I don't you do it as investments. Any financial planner will tell you never to have more than 5% of your portfolio in collectibles.

The one possible thing I think has caused this decline is CGC and auctions. When CGC first started showing up and Soethby's/Heritage started auctioning books this was the first time inexperienced collectors had a real shot at big boy books. So of we/they paid too much for them. The thought was that supply was thin but we have learned that there are a lot of high grade books out there. Much more than I think anyone thought. And the high prices brought out books hiding in collections. X-Men 94 was a 26000 book in 9.8 when there was only 2 of them. Flash 129 was a 5K book in 9.4 when there was only two of them. Now there are 18 of them in 9.4,9.6,9.8. Hopefully a lot of these books have found a bottom and will start growing again.

I believe they will continue to grow in demand. :wishluck:

As long as those astronomically priced comic books like AC #1, DC #27, AF #15 continue to be out of reach for the lay-collector, they/we will have no other choice but to scoop up the next best thing - i.e. - TOS #39, ASC #8, Flash #105, etc for a decent price while supplies last.

Who truly knows how many actually exist for these key issues, outside of the CGC census? (shrug)

Nowadays, when I look at my collection it is like a mutual fund for my retirement.

I think this is a little dangerous. You can't just sock your books away for when you retire. You need to stay aware of market trends. Some books can and do lose monetary value over time.

Oh believe me I do keep tabs on the current markets. When I purchase vintage books, it is with monies that are expendable. Just as I do the global markets, etc.

For at least the past 20 plus years, I have not seen many vintage books depreciate in value by much, especially key issues.

Some of the previous biggest golden age non bat/supes/cap keys in the hobby have declined over the past 20 years (in today's dollars)...most all the hg Gaines copies... Green lantern 1, more fun 52, adventure 40, worlds best, human torch 1, marvel 1, whiz 1, All winners 1, submariner 1, single series 20 , all star 1, all flash 1, etc And as far as non keys:The entire western category, fawcett books, dell, etc.

Sure bat 1, action 1, etc are relatively safe. But if I'm banking on mf 73 then my guess is the book has a better chance that it will be worth less 5 years from now (in today's dollars) than substantially higher imo

Sad, but very likely true.

If anyone wants to really do well in predicting the future of the market, just watch what I buy. All the books I want and love to collect, including just about every issue Rick lists above, I bought. And then they declined in value. :cry:

At least I still loved them. :cloud9:

Good advice, but what do you consider a "short hold?" 5 years? 3? shorter?

I'm thinking if it is a business the hold can't be longer than 1-2 years. You have to buy right, your margins are low these days if you trade in CGC books because you compete with auction houses. If you buy raw collections and sell them off margins are high but of course you carry a lot more inventory. Someone who actually does this for a living could answer better than me. My business is totally different.

they/we will have no other choice but to scoop up the next best thing - i.e. - TOS #39, ASC #8, Flash #105, etc for a decent price while supplies last.

Their choice could be to select different comics than the ones you list, select a different hobby entirely or to stop collecting altogether.

I've been doing mostly all right with a 5-year hold plan, but this is not my business either. Some books I buy with the intention of keeping permanently, and some I expect to enjoy and then turn around in 5 years or so.

That said, I have had books lose money or stay totally flat--mostly non-key GA DCs and a few HG ECs for which I probably overpaid in the earlier days of CGC.

Bought the MF #73 CGC 7.5 through Heritage in February 2012 for $7,468.75.

Great deal! I saw a this one sold in Feb. 2010 on Heritage.

Sorry, I meant to type 2010! doh!

No problemo buddy, I knew what you meant to say. (thumbs u

they/we will have no other choice but to scoop up the next best thing - i.e. - TOS #39, ASC #8, Flash #105, etc for a decent price while supplies last.

Their choice could be to select different comics than the ones you list, select a different hobby entirely or to stop collecting altogether.

That's where the etc comes in...lol.

I guess they/we could try a different hobby or stop collecting altogether, but where is the fun in that? (shrug)

Me personally, I'll stick to comic books. :)

Well, I think Marvel has done a great job promoting their second tier characters. You could say that Iron Man, Avengers, and Thor have surpassed the quality of the Spider-Man and X-Men movies.

As far as DC is concerned it has been a difficult road. They have struggled with everything but Batman. V and Watchmen were decent. Losers was ok but Green Lantern and the Last Superman movie just stunk. They need someone to step up with a vision and get some of these characters jump started.

Words of wisdom my friend. (thumbs u

Marvel has done a much better job than DC in live action movies, but DC is kicking Marvels butt in animation. Go figure! hm

Just because Marvel is doing better than DC in terms of live action movies for now, it doesn't necessarily mean that this imbalance will remain in place for the long-term.

Just think back to the 70's, 80's, and early 90's when DC had the Superman/Batman movie franchises and TV shows such as the Flash. Marvel could do nothing with their characters at the time except to turn out laughable movies that nobody would watch, including the most die-hard comic book fan. Weren't all of these B quality or even C quality movies that not only didn't make it to the silver screen or your TV screen for the most part, but had to go straight to video where they were basically laughed off the shelves. hm

Well, I think Marvel has done a great job promoting their second tier characters. You could say that Iron Man, Avengers, and Thor have surpassed the quality of the Spider-Man and X-Men movies.

As far as DC is concerned it has been a difficult road. They have struggled with everything but Batman. V and Watchmen were decent. Losers was ok but Green Lantern and the Last Superman movie just stunk. They need someone to step up with a vision and get some of these characters jump started.

Marvel has done a much better job than DC in live action movies, but DC is kicking Marvels butt in animation. Go figure! hm

Just because Marvel is doing better than DC in terms of live action movies for now, it doesn't necessarily mean that this imbalance will remain in place for the long-term.

Just think back to the 70's, 80's, and early 90's when DC had the Superman/Batman movie franchises and TV shows such as the Flash. Marvel could do nothing with their characters at the time except to turn out laughable movies that nobody would watch, including the most die-hard comic book fan. Weren't all of these B quality or even C quality movies that not only didn't make it to the silver screen or your TV screen for the most part, but had to go straight to video where they were basically laughed off the shelves. hm

One Word

Disney.

You got Disney behind the scenes now.

That`s a lot different then those straight to video cheap C quality movies that Marvel fans had to endure,

Avengers doing over 1 billion at the box office will make Disney continue to spend big bucks on Marvel movies.

Nowadays, when I look at my collection it is like a mutual fund for my retirement.

I think this is a little dangerous. You can't just sock your books away for when you retire. You need to stay aware of market trends. Some books can and do lose monetary value over time.

Oh believe me I do keep tabs on the current markets. When I purchase vintage books, it is with monies that are expendable. Just as I do the global markets, etc.

For at least the past 20 plus years, I have not seen many vintage books depreciate in value by much, especially key issues.

Some of the previous biggest golden age non bat/supes/cap keys in the hobby have declined over the past 20 years (in today's dollars)...most all the hg Gaines copies... Green lantern 1, more fun 52, adventure 40, worlds best, human torch 1, marvel 1, whiz 1, All winners 1, submariner 1, single series 20 , all star 1, all flash 1, etc And as far as non keys:The entire western category, fawcett books, dell, etc.

I wonder how that group will do against this group over the next 5 to 10 years?

1.Amazing Fantasy 15

2.Fantastic Four #1

3.Incredible Hulk #1

4.Showcase #4

5.Journey into Mystery #83

6.Tales of suspense #39

7.Showcase #22

8.X-Men #1

9.Avengers#1

10.Amazing Spider-Man #1

One Word

Disney.

You got Disney behind the scenes now.

That`s a lot different then those straight to video cheap C quality movies that Marvel fans had to endure,

Avengers doing over 1 billion at the box office will make Disney continue to spend big bucks on Marvel movies.

Well christoper nolan is doing superman. A lot probably rides on that movie for the dc fans. I wasn't impressed with dark knight rises due to the lack of batmans abilities. If I wanted to watch hand to hand combat. I'd of watched Ip man. Bust Kung fu movie ever.

I wonder how that group will do against this group over the next 5 to 10 years?

1.Amazing Fantasy 15

2.Fantastic Four #1

3.Incredible Hulk #1

4.Showcase #4

5.Journey into Mystery #83

6.Tales of suspense #39

7.Showcase #22

8.X-Men #1

9.Avengers#1

10.Amazing Spider-Man #1

Still room for big growth on Tos 39 and avengers 1 IMO. I'm strictly asm but I even grabbed a mid grade avenger 1 last year

Yeah, I remember those days very well. You have to admit though, you loved watching Bill Bixby & Lou Ferrigno in the Incredible Hulk series back in the 70's. :D

I think a big part of that, as is the case with some of Marvel's properties today, is that they were out-sourced to different studios that had no clue on how to portray these heroes in cinema or what the characters were about. So the studios/tv networks put together that laughable you spoke of just for sheer entertainment & the retention of the rights to the characters. Plus, the technology was not there yet to truly bring these heroes to life as necessary.

Now that Marvel is getting most of these rights back and have paired with Disney, maybe they will continue to release more consistent & much better quality live/animated movies. Though the latter needs to step it up a bit.

The last 2 years they have done very well.

WB/DC have their characters rights, so what is their problem? hm

I believe someone like a Bruce Timm needs to be in-charge who can take DC live action movies to the next level. An individual/team of visionaries that know & understand and stay true to the essence of these heroes.

The movies WB/DC have released have been very good since 1998, aside from Catwoman & Jonah Hex. However, WB/DC needs to get on a schedule like Marvel has and release at least 3 high standard live action movies per year. Do whatever is necessary to make this happen, spend the big bucks!!! Whether that means, more promotion & marketing, improved casting & screenplays, replace some execs, etc. get er done!!!

They have too many great & special characters to allow them to remain idling, while Marvel is doing their thang! :headbang:

I remain hopeful that we will see a change from WB/DC in years to come. Who wouldn't want to see live action movies of Wonder Woman, the Flash, Captain Marvel, LSH etc? I know I do. :wishluck:

Yeah, I remember those days very well. You have to admit though, you loved watching Bill Bixby & Lou Ferrigno in the Incredible Hulk series back in the 70's. :D

I think a big part of that, as is the case with some of Marvel's properties today, is that they were out-sourced to different studios that had no clue on how to portray these heroes in cinema or what the characters were about. So the studios/tv networks put together that laughable you spoke of just for sheer entertainment & the retention of the rights to the characters. Plus, the technology was not there yet to truly bring these heroes to life as necessary.

Now that Marvel is getting most of these rights back and have paired with Disney, maybe they will continue to release more consistent & much better quality live/animated movies. Though the latter needs to step it up a bit.

The last 2 years they have done very well.

WB/DC have their characters rights, so what is their problem? hm

I believe someone like a Bruce Timm needs to be in-charge who can take DC live action movies to the next level. An individual/team of visionaries that know & understand and stay true to the essence of these heroes.

The movies WB/DC have released have been very good since 1998, aside from Catwoman & Jonah Hex. However, WB/DC needs to get on a schedule like Marvel has and release at least 3 high standard live action movies per year. Do whatever is necessary to make this happen, spend the big bucks!!! Whether that means, more promotion & marketing, improved casting & screenplays, replace some execs, etc. get er done!!!

They have too many great & special characters to allow them to remain idling, while Marvel is doing their thang! :headbang:

I remain hopeful that we will see a change from WB/DC in years to come. Who wouldn't want to see live action movies of Wonder Woman, the Flash, Captain Marvel, LSH etc? I know I do. :wishluck:

Well after Superman,Batman and Wonder Woman there are not many DC Heroes who would be able to carry a big live-action movie.

Green Lantern one of DC`s top tier characters couldn`t even beat Green Hornet at the world wide box office. What makes people think characters like Green Arrow,Hawkman,and other DC heroes would succeed while Green Lantern failed?

DC`s best bet is to stick to Superman and Batman movies,as that is their bread and buttter. 2c