• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarity & FMV for More Fun Comics #73 mid-grade

93 posts in this topic

Bought the MF #73 CGC 7.5 through Heritage in February 2012 for $7,468.75.

Great deal! I saw a this one sold in Feb. 2010 on Heritage.

They appear so infrequently on most comic book auction sites. I wouldn't part with it anytime soon.

That will definitely yield nice dividends in the future.

Sometimes, as in Mark's case, it's not about "yielding dividends in the future." Some people actually like to collect comics. :gossip:

So true my friend. I do it for that reason as well.

I do know however, a day will come when I will part with my comic book/ art collection and allow other collectors to enjoy them as I have. At the same time I want to maximize my profits when I do. That will not be for another 20 years from now...lol.

the reality of the matter is that, in 20 years, comic books might be worthless from a monetary standpoint (hopefully they always have value to us as collectors)...but there is absolutely NO guarantee that any book (even action 1, but especially MF 73) will continue to appreciate at a substantial rate, or at all, for that matter...or might (gulp) loose value (as so many past books have today)

my "guess" is that 20 years is too far to look forward in today's ever changing world...5 year outlooks are reasonable, but anything beyond that, one needs to be prepared financially for their "investments" to be worthless (hedge against worse case scenario)... unlikely that will happen, but a possibility none the less...

Hahaha!!! Let's hope not buddy. Five years is more predictable, but I like to set short-term & long-term projections.

Twenty years is a long way off, but I remain optimistic about the hobby overall. hm I remember reading Overstreet guides back in the 1970's as a kid and see the strides books like AC #1 & AF #15 have made.

We as collectors will always be around, but the main emphasis will be for popular culture & new generations to keep these heroes relevant/viable. :wishluck:

From what I have observed from the past 15 years, comic book/art collecting seems more promising than ever. I guess that is why we as collectors continue to try real hard & shelve out mega-bucks to obtain 80 year old 10 cent comic books...lol!!! First & foremost of course out of a deep rooted genuine love for the genre & these heroes that we grew up with. <3

I believe it will get better & endure, present day and 20 years from now. I just think DC & Marvel need to support/spread the love around amongst their other B/C tier characters. You know Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and the Hulk aren't going anywhere, they're here to stay. However, more obscure heroes like Aquaman, Green Arrow, Namor and Dr. Strange for example deserve their due to persevere.

Hopefully soon, they will get it. (thumbs u

I think something important was missed in this response to Rick's comment.

I can't (and won't) speak for Rick, but I read Rick's comment more as a statement of the difficulty in talking about economic stability over a 20 year period.

Every human endeavor has gone through a major change, with every major empire to date collapsing. We are, again, as we have often been, at a dangerous crossroads in human history. I won't get into issues of resource depletion, mass extinction, global warming, etc, etc, but I do think that there are great risks to our current way of living, and a shift may cause a significant change in the valuation of belongings such as stocks and collectibles.

So take pleasure in the collecting, and we'll all find out together what we value most in 20 years...

That is so true. hm That's why I try to enjoy everyday that I am here, as if it were my last.

I don't sit on monies like a rainy day fund, but I do love to enjoy many of the finer things in life while I am still amongst the living. One being this hobby which I have done since I was 6 years old. Lately, I have added some commissioned artwork to my collection and am in the process of having 1 or 2 more done.

You can't take it with you when that time in all our lives come, but sailing into retirement I would like to be as independent & comfortable as I can. This type of planning hopefully will somewhat sustain me in those turbulent times you speak of.

Great observation. (thumbs u I look at stuff like that everyday, to try and adapt for the crisis or economical fluctuations. With all the world markets now connected, that makes for an even more volatile situation. Hard to gauge or plan ahead like that, especially for 20 years. I however, have faith and still remain hopeful.

I believe the biggest danger to vintage comic book collecting would be the increased switch from hard copy moderns to digital. When the time comes at which 80-90% of new comics are purchased and sold only in a digital format, what would the impact be on comic book conventions, comic book stores, etc.. Maybe this will have the reverse effect and enhance the collectibility of golden and silver age books. Does anyone here collect old books? How has the change from book publication to the Kindles and Nooks affected that hobby (virtually every local book store and a number of Barnes N Nobles have closed where I live)?

Nowadays, when I look at my collection it is like a mutual fund for my retirement.

I think this is a little dangerous. You can't just sock your books away for when you retire. You need to stay aware of market trends. Some books can and do lose monetary value over time.

I believe the biggest danger to vintage comic book collecting would be the increased switch from hard copy moderns to digital. When the time comes at which 80-90% of new comics are purchased and sold only in a digital format, what would the impact be on comic book conventions, comic book stores, etc.. Maybe this will have the reverse effect and enhance the collectibility of golden and silver age books. Does anyone here collect old books? How has the change from book publication to the Kindles and Nooks affected that hobby (virtually every local book store and a number of Barnes N Nobles have closed where I live)?

That is an interesting angle my friend. hm

I am old school & old fashioned to the core, so that is one approach to comic book collecting I will NEVER get into. I will be done with collecting comic books altogether, before I indulge in digital comic book collecting. Technology is fantastic in many media forums, but to me that is not one of them.

I don't know how it has affected today's market though. I think distributors still have their set monthly print run irregardless of the digital output. That venue may be for those who like to read comic books, but do not want to take the time to go out to/subscribe to comic book stores for hard copies.

Like Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell sang back in the days:

'Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing'.

Great point! :golfclap::D

Nowadays, when I look at my collection it is like a mutual fund for my retirement.

I think this is a little dangerous. You can't just sock your books away for when you retire. You need to stay aware of market trends. Some books can and do lose monetary value over time.

Oh believe me I do keep tabs on the current markets. When I purchase vintage books, it is with monies that are expendable. Just as I do the global markets, etc.

For at least the past 20 plus years, I have not seen many vintage books depreciate in value by much, especially key issues.

Yes, this hobby is volatile & fluctuates like any other, but historically I am confident it will endure. Unless like Dr Carl said we have another 'Great Depression' or something of a catostrophic socio-political-economic-ecological impact.

I renewed my interest in vintage comic book collecting right around the time Blade 1 came out and my collection has steadily gone up in value. That has been 14 years ago an counting.

Vintage and rare books have not really been adversely affected by Kindle, Nook, etc. I deal in a little in the book market. They look for a lot of the things that we do---historically important editions, quality of production, etc. I think, for the most part, that market is slower than comics. It takes me a lot longer to sell stuff. But I mostly deal in 2nd and 3rd tier material when it comes to books. I do have some top-tier comics, though. :)

Greetings All,

I have MFC #73 and would like to no how rare these comic books are?

Mine is a CGC 5.5 universal grade. What is the FMV for a book like this with two key DC Universe characters & a side-kick?

What is the potential for growth/demand presently & 20-25 years from now?

Thanks

From an investment stand point. I don't see much growth. I don't see it keeping up with inflation and that would be 3% a year for 20 years.

That is still better than what current Roth IRA's are offering. I have had one for the last 5 years and it is only getting 1% annually.

Don't get me wrong, I love collecting and have books from when I was a young as 6 years old. Nowadays, when I look at my collection it is like a mutual fund for my retirement. For the long haul, my commissioned artwork I will keep a little longer though.

No offense intended, but you should take another look at what you have your Roth IRA invested in. At least over the last three years, 1% is a very low return unless you are invested in money market funds.

Greetings All,

Mine is a CGC 5.5 universal grade. What is the FMV for a book like this with two key DC Universe characters & a side-kick?

Thanks

From an investment stand point. I don't see much growth. I don't see it keeping up with inflation and that would be 3% a year for 20 years.

That is still better than what current Roth IRA's are offering. I have had one for the last 5 years and it is only getting 1% annually.

Don't get me wrong, I love collecting and have books from when I was a young as 6 years old. Nowadays, when I look at my collection it is like a mutual fund for my retirement. For the long haul, my commissioned artwork I will keep a little longer though.

No offense intended, but you should take another look at what you have your Roth IRA invested in. At least over the last three years, 1% is a very low return unless you are invested in money market funds.

+1

I don't use IRA's but I do dabble with my own portfolio/investments and I'm hovering around the 15% mark on my money this year so far. There's many stocks that "should" be rock solid that are paying dividends high enough to offset real inflation on your money for the years to come. When I buy comics I buy to keep for the long run(now that I've finally figured out a focus I'm happy and comfortable with). If I make money when I sell? That's just a bonus.

Greetings All,

Thanks

I inquired about that when I first opened the account. the funds are put into a general portfolio for SECU members.

Most credit unions are member supported, so I am assuming their Roth IRA accounts are set up for low risk investment.

Greetings All,

Thanks

+1

I don't use IRA's but I do dabble with my own portfolio/investments and I'm hovering around the 15% mark on my money this year so far. There's many stocks that "should" be rock solid that are paying dividends high enough to offset real inflation on your money for the years to come. When I buy comics I buy to keep for the long run(now that I've finally figured out a focus I'm happy and comfortable with). If I make money when I sell? That's just a bonus.

Yeah, I feel the same way. When I do sell, all profits will be a bonus to supplement my jobs pension plans.

That Roth IRA was just one of my portfolios. There wasn't much money in there anyway.

Oh believe me I do keep tabs on the current markets. When I purchase vintage books, it is with monies that are expendable. Just as I do the global markets, etc.

For at least the past 20 plus years, I have not seen many vintage books depreciate in value by much, especially key issues.

Some of the previous biggest golden age non bat/supes/cap keys in the hobby have declined over the past 20 years (in today's dollars)...most all the hg Gaines copies... Green lantern 1, more fun 52, adventure 40, worlds best, human torch 1, marvel 1, whiz 1, All winners 1, submariner 1, single series 20 , all star 1, all flash 1, etc And as far as non keys:The entire western category, fawcett books, dell, etc.

Sure bat 1, action 1, etc are relatively safe. But if I'm banking on mf 73 then my guess is the book has a better chance that it will be worth less 5 years from now (in today's dollars) than substantially higher imo

I have been coming across that trend as well for all D.C. comics outside of Batman and Superman from that era. I think two factors go into it not using the characters in films like they could and with D.C. a lot of characters like Green Lantern, Flash, and so forth what we associate with them today changed drastically from what they were then in the Golden Age mainly during when they revamped most characters in the silver age. Would you rather have a Showcase 4 or Flash Comics 1? Would you rather have a All American Comics 16 or a Showcase 22? I know I would want a Showcase 4 and 22 over the others any day of the week. I think the only comic character that is really under appreciated in the market from that era waiting to go up in value is Wonder Woman. My bets is All Star Comics 8 and Sensation Comics 1 will be the next comics waiting to receive that major jump in price.

A VF Wonder Woman 1 sold last year for 18k. A GD copy of Batman sold this month for 30k. I get that Batman towers over WW in terms of popularity, really, I do. But it terms of the possibility for market growth, WW seems the winner to me.

Some of the previous biggest golden age non bat/supes/cap keys in the hobby have declined over the past 20 years (in today's dollars)...most all the hg Gaines copies... Green lantern 1, more fun 52, adventure 40, worlds best, human torch 1, marvel 1, whiz 1, All winners 1, submariner 1, single series 20 , all star 1, all flash 1, etc And as far as non keys:The entire western category, fawcett books, dell, etc.

Sure bat 1, action 1, etc are relatively safe. But if I'm banking on mf 73 then my guess is the book has a better chance that it will be worth less 5 years from now (in today's dollars) than substantially higher imo

Well, hopefully that isn't the case.

With a few of the titles you named, all the main characters need is a real push from their respective company's. And I am not talking Catwoman or Jonah Hex push...lol. :D

I believe Captain Marvel, the Spectre, the Flash, & Namor could carry their own movies if supported. In turn this would boost the demand for their initial comic book appearances.

Who knows, only time will tell. :wishluck:

So I think you approach comics two ways. It is either a hobby, where you buy what you want and if you take a loss so be it. Or you do it as a business buy low sell high short holding periods.

I don't you do it as investments. Any financial planner will tell you never to have more than 5% of your portfolio in collectibles.

BTW- I would love to have every book that Rick mentioned that were in decline.

The one possible thing I think has caused this decline is CGC and auctions. When CGC first started showing up and Soethby's/Heritage started auctioning books this was the first time inexperienced collectors had a real shot at big boy books. So of we/they paid too much for them. The thought was that supply was thin but we have learned that there are a lot of high grade books out there. Much more than I think anyone thought. And the high prices brought out books hiding in collections. X-Men 94 was a 26000 book in 9.8 when there was only 2 of them. Flash 129 was a 5K book in 9.4 when there was only two of them. Now there are 18 of them in 9.4,9.6,9.8. Hopefully a lot of these books have found a bottom and will start growing again.