• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarity & FMV for More Fun Comics #73 mid-grade

93 posts in this topic

More Fun 73 is one of the scarcer DC golden age keys. It's a lot scarcer than All-Star 8.

A 5.5 copy is probably worth about $6000.

20-25 years is a long time to project. More like guessing. You have to consider things like: Will the characters still be relevant? Will younger people be collecting golden age comics or will it just be an old man's hobby?

Personally, I think it's a great book. The All-Star 8 too.

:gossip: a 5.0 sold in July for just over $3k

a 4.5 just sold this month for $4200 (thumbs u

Here's the real info on it. Thanks for the correct dollar's Rick

Certification #: 1042281001

Title: More Fun Comics

Issue: 73

Issue Date: 11/41

Issue Year: 1941

Publisher: D.C. Comics

Grade: 4.5

Page Quality: OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Grade Date: 05/04/2011

Category: Universal

Art Comments: Jerry Siegel Mort Weisinger and

Gardner Fox stories Howard Sherman

Bernard Baily and George Papp art

Key Comments: Origin and 1st appearance of Aquaman.

1st appearance of Green Arrow

and Speedy.

For soem reason when I hear #73 I think of either Adventure or Detective.

No, that copy sold in Aug 2011, not 2012. I was the buyer.

It may have been the last unrestored copy sold. No other GPA sales reported since, and ComicLink hasn't sold one since then either.

I didn't sell my copy to you (shrug)

I should have clarified that "I" sold a 4.5 this month, for $4200 (thumbs u

I don't have gpa but admittedly the buyer quoted gpa when he made his offer (thumbs u

I dont think that there is any issue of any comic (major publishers) that takes years to come to market. This is rhetoric by owners of these books used to inflate demand and price much like the reason that you start such threads.

Pretty much the truth. (thumbs u

I dont think that there is any issue of any comic (major publishers) that takes years to come to market. This is rhetoric by owners of these books used to inflate demand and price much like the reason that you start such threads.

:baiting: You are just upset because I don't want to sell/trade my book to you for your price/trade offer. Which I still won't. Find your own like I did mine almost 10 years ago.

You have your opinion & I have mine. And I don't recall asking you yours.

If you do not like what members post on threads keep your meh to yourself. What questions I post & ask are my business, especially if I am seeking experienced/respected collectors opinions.

Like the old adage says: If you have nothing good to say, don't say it at all!

Good luck finding one though. (thumbs u

I don't have gpa but admittedly the buyer quoted gpa when he made his offer (thumbs u

At first I was shocked to read that you, Rick, don't have GPA - :o

But then I realized you are are one with the cosmic comic force. :preach: (This is the closest icon I could find to OB 1 Kanobe!)

:baiting: You are just upset because I don't want to sell/trade my book to you for your price/trade offer. Which I still won't. Find your own like I did mine almost 10 years ago.

If you do not like what members post on threads keep your meh to yourself. What questions I post & ask are my business, especially if I am seeking experienced/respected collectors opinions.

Sounds about right. As I stated before, these types of threads are about chest puffing and when someone challenges the OP position they are dismissed as sour grapes. I think MF 73 is a great book and I want one but.. in my opinion I dont have to agree with you to be a respected or knowledgeable collector. I offered you a fair price (6k) and that seems to be what the market would bear. You thought 8k+ was fair and the book is a top 20 Golden Age book. You have your value and I have mine. We could not get together on a price and thats fine. am guessing you are older (Thinking Legion of Super Heroes are current and relevant). Im in my mid thirties and can tell you few from my generation know who they are. We grew up with Super-friends. But I guess I should keep my opinion to myself unless im (worship)

I am not trying to argue but I would advise you to take the praise and criticism in stride if you are truly here to learn and not just here to collect pats on the back for your collection.

Sounds about right. As I stated before, these types of threads are about chest puffing and when someone challenges the OP position they are dismissed as sour grapes. I think MF 73 is a great book and I want one but.. in my opinion I dont have to agree with you to be a respected or knowledgeable collector. I offered you a fair price (6k) and that seems to be what the market would bear. You thought 8k+ was fair and the book is a top 20 Golden Age book. You have your value and I have mine. We could not get together on a price and thats fine. am guessing you are older (Thinking Legion of Super Heroes are current and relevant). Im in my mid thirties and can tell you few from my generation know who they are. We grew up with Super-friends. But I guess I should keep my opinion to myself unless im (worship)

I am not trying to argue but I would advise you to take the praise and criticism in stride if you are truly here to learn and not just here to collect pats on the back for your collection.

Hahaha, that's funny! :D You were probably still a gamete when the Super-Friends first came on! :roflmao:

It's all good!!! Nothing personal, but if you PM someone about a potential deal that's where it should remain - private.

It's a free country and your voice does matter. I don't however think many members would oppose to owning an Adv. Comics #247 CGC 8.0 universal copy though...lol.

Good luck finding your copy of MFC #73. (thumbs u

Here's my copy. It took me quite a while to find one. It is definitely one of the more difficult issues post-Spectre covers to find, particularly in high grade.

Personally, while I hope the value continues to increase exponentially by a factor of five every year, I always viewed this issue has overvalued. Aquaman and Green Arrow have been second, if not lower, tier characters since at least the 60s and while it is Aquaman's first appearance there is no recognition on the cover.

MF73.jpg

Here's my copy. It took me quite a while to find one. It is definitely one of the more difficult issues post-Spectre covers to find, particularly in high grade.

Personally, while I hope the value continues to increase exponentially by a factor of five every year, I always viewed this issue has overvalued. Aquaman and Green Arrow have been second, if not lower, tier characters since at least the 60s and while it is Aquaman's first appearance there is no recognition on the cover.

MF73.jpg

Sweet copy! (thumbs u How long have you had yours?

Yeah, Aquaman & Green Arrow are 2nd tier heroes when compared to Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman. I always felt this book was underrated & under-appreciated like ASC #8.

Kind of like how Iron Man & Thor were for Marvel until recently. Both heroes are due some well deserved major recognition from WB/DC. Maybe this fall on the CW, the new 'ARROW' series can make some positive things happen.

As with ASC #8, it hurts the overall appeal of the book to not have them on the covers. What I do like about MFC #73 though is the introduction of 2 new DC heroes & 1 side kick in a single issue.

The only other books I can think of from the GA with that type of impact is Flash Comics #1, Batman #1 & Marvel Comics #1 off the top of my head.

If 'ARROW' comes close to being as good as 'SMALLVILLE', I truly believe it can boost the demand for MFC #73. While also bringing much needed recognition to Green Arrow and other DC 2nd tier characters.

Who knows, maybe even Speedy might show up if the show is a major hit. :grin:

Bought the MF #73 CGC 7.5 through Heritage in February 2012 for $7,468.75.

Great deal! I saw a this one sold in Feb. 2010 on Heritage.

They appear so infrequently on most comic book auction sites. I wouldn't part with it anytime soon.

That will definitely yield nice dividends in the future.

They appear so infrequently on most comic book auction sites. I wouldn't part with it anytime soon.

Sometimes, as in Mark's case, it's not about "yielding dividends in the future." Some people actually like to collect comics. :gossip:

Sometimes, as in Mark's case, it's not about "yielding dividends in the future." Some people actually like to collect comics. :gossip:

So true my friend. I do it for that reason as well.

I do know however, a day will come when I will part with my comic book/ art collection and allow other collectors to enjoy them as I have. At the same time I want to maximize my profits when I do. That will not be for another 20 years from now...lol.

I do know however, a day will come when I will part with my comic book/ art collection and allow other collectors to enjoy them as I have. At the same time I want to maximize my profits when I do. That will not be for another 20 years from now...lol.

the reality of the matter is that, in 20 years, comic books might be worthless from a monetary standpoint (hopefully they always have value to us as collectors)...but there is absolutely NO guarantee that any book (even action 1, but especially MF 73) will continue to appreciate at a substantial rate, or at all, for that matter...or might (gulp) loose value (as so many past books have today)

my "guess" is that 20 years is too far to look forward in today's ever changing world...5 year outlooks are reasonable, but anything beyond that, one needs to be prepared financially for their "investments" to be worthless (hedge against worse case scenario)... unlikely that will happen, but a possibility none the less...

the reality of the matter is that, in 20 years, comic books might be worthless from a monetary standpoint (hopefully they always have value to us as collectors)...but there is absolutely NO guarantee that any book (even action 1, but especially MF 73) will continue to appreciate at a substantial rate, or at all, for that matter...or might (gulp) loose value (as so many past books have today)

my "guess" is that 20 years is too far to look forward in today's ever changing world...5 year outlooks are reasonable, but anything beyond that, one needs to be prepared financially for their "investments" to be worthless (hedge against worse case scenario)... unlikely that will happen, but a possibility none the less...

Hahaha!!! Let's hope not buddy. Five years is more predictable, but I like to set short-term & long-term projections.

Twenty years is a long way off, but I remain optimistic about the hobby overall. hm I remember reading Overstreet guides back in the 1970's as a kid and see the strides books like AC #1 & AF #15 have made.

We as collectors will always be around, but the main emphasis will be for popular culture & new generations to keep these heroes relevant/viable. :wishluck:

From what I have observed from the past 15 years, comic book/art collecting seems more promising than ever. I guess that is why we as collectors continue to try real hard & shelve out mega-bucks to obtain 80 year old 10 cent comic books...lol!!! First & foremost of course out of a deep rooted genuine love for the genre & these heroes that we grew up with. <3

I believe it will get better & endure, present day and 20 years from now. I just think DC & Marvel need to support/spread the love around amongst their other B/C tier characters. You know Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and the Hulk aren't going anywhere, they're here to stay. However, more obscure heroes like Aquaman, Green Arrow, Namor and Dr. Strange for example deserve their due to persevere.

Hopefully soon, they will get it. (thumbs u

Well, I think Marvel has done a great job promoting their second tier characters. You could say that Iron Man, Avengers, and Thor have surpassed the quality of the Spider-Man and X-Men movies.

As far as DC is concerned it has been a difficult road. They have struggled with everything but Batman. V and Watchmen were decent. Losers was ok but Green Lantern and the Last Superman movie just stunk. They need someone to step up with a vision and get some of these characters jump started.

That said I love MF 73. It is probably the most affordable Golden Age key of a major character in the DC Universe. At the worst you should always get your money back. I like the idea of focusing on the super keys but that is the same strategy used with the nifty fifty back in the 70s. Remember there is no underlying value to a collectible. The current value of a book is only what the next person is willing to pay. There is no income stream, no assets, no contracts. You are paying for goodwill and a brand.

Well, I think Marvel has done a great job promoting their second tier characters. You could say that Iron Man, Avengers, and Thor have surpassed the quality of the Spider-Man and X-Men movies.

As far as DC is concerned it has been a difficult road. They have struggled with everything but Batman. V and Watchmen were decent. Losers was ok but Green Lantern and the Last Superman movie just stunk. They need someone to step up with a vision and get some of these characters jump started.

That said I love MF 73. It is probably the most affordable Golden Age key of a major character in the DC Universe. At the worst you should always get your money back. I like the idea of focusing on the super keys but that is the same strategy used with the nifty fifty back in the 70s. Remember there is no underlying value to a collectible. The current value of a book is only what the next person is willing to pay. There is no income stream, no assets, no contracts. You are paying for goodwill and a brand.

Words of wisdom my friend. (thumbs u

Marvel has done a much better job than DC in live action movies, but DC is kicking Marvels butt in animation. Go figure! hm

Maybe WB/DC's live action & animation dept's should swap tasks/duties. Things would probably improve immensely...lol.

Hopefully, WB/DC can find someone to step up with a vision and get some of these characters jump started.

You have any ideas on who that individually may be, I kind of like Bruce Timm for the job. He has the experience to do the movies/properties right & know what fans want. It also doesn't hurt him being a comic geek. (thumbs u

The current value of a book is only what the next person is willing to pay rings very true. So really it is all about timing, for the right deal to come along for the right price. Demand is at the root of it all though.

Greetings All,

I have MFC #73 and would like to no how rare these comic books are?

Mine is a CGC 5.5 universal grade. What is the FMV for a book like this with two key DC Universe characters & a side-kick?

What is the potential for growth/demand presently & 20-25 years from now?

Thanks

From an investment stand point. I don't see much growth. I don't see it keeping up with inflation and that would be 3% a year for 20 years.

Hahaha!!! Let's hope not buddy. Five years is more predictable, but I like to set short-term & long-term projections.

Twenty years is a long way off, but I remain optimistic about the hobby overall. hm I remember reading Overstreet guides back in the 1970's as a kid and see the strides books like AC #1 & AF #15 have made.

We as collectors will always be around, but the main emphasis will be for popular culture & new generations to keep these heroes relevant/viable. :wishluck:

From what I have observed from the past 15 years, comic book/art collecting seems more promising than ever. I guess that is why we as collectors continue to try real hard & shelve out mega-bucks to obtain 80 year old 10 cent comic books...lol!!! First & foremost of course out of a deep rooted genuine love for the genre & these heroes that we grew up with. <3

I believe it will get better & endure, present day and 20 years from now. I just think DC & Marvel need to support/spread the love around amongst their other B/C tier characters. You know Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and the Hulk aren't going anywhere, they're here to stay. However, more obscure heroes like Aquaman, Green Arrow, Namor and Dr. Strange for example deserve their due to persevere.

Hopefully soon, they will get it. (thumbs u

I think something important was missed in this response to Rick's comment.

I can't (and won't) speak for Rick, but I read Rick's comment more as a statement of the difficulty in talking about economic stability over a 20 year period.

Every human endeavor has gone through a major change, with every major empire to date collapsing. We are, again, as we have often been, at a dangerous crossroads in human history. I won't get into issues of resource depletion, mass extinction, global warming, etc, etc, but I do think that there are great risks to our current way of living, and a shift may cause a significant change in the valuation of belongings such as stocks and collectibles.

So take pleasure in the collecting, and we'll all find out together what we value most in 20 years...

Greetings All,

I have MFC #73 and would like to no how rare these comic books are?

Mine is a CGC 5.5 universal grade. What is the FMV for a book like this with two key DC Universe characters & a side-kick?

What is the potential for growth/demand presently & 20-25 years from now?

Thanks

From an investment stand point. I don't see much growth. I don't see it keeping up with inflation and that would be 3% a year for 20 years.

That is still better than what current Roth IRA's are offering. I have had one for the last 5 years and it is only getting 1% annually.

Don't get me wrong, I love collecting and have books from when I was a young as 6 years old. Nowadays, when I look at my collection it is like a mutual fund for my retirement. For the long haul, my commissioned artwork I will keep a little longer though.