• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Your Eyes Only they said, but EVERYONE should read this!
3 3

178 posts in this topic

I'd suggest practicing throwing that Buick, because you're drivel about this being a "conspiracy theory" is naive and uneducated. The information once again is NOT up for debate, its fact, even Matt Nelson admitted to knowing some of this info a few posts back, so what's this diatribe really about?

Please, go talk crazy somewhere else, you're already looking like someone who just doesn't want to believe the evidence no matter what, because you MUST at all costs be right. Sorry, but you're WRONG and the books ARE restored and there are quite a few of them to boot, so just quiet down already and learn something....if you stay this course you'll only end up looking like a bigger fool when the truth becomes more common knowledge!

You said at least 50% of his books were restored (do the math from your little story.) I've just been through the entire collection on heritage and it's not even close to 50% Not even close. So how is this not up for debate? If your numbers are not at all supported by the only evidence available to us, then how on earth can your story not be debatable? Explain that to me? How is it crazy talk?

I'll repeat myself, so you can get it through your thick skull...

I've just gone through the entire Collection at Heritage and nowhere near 50% of the books are restored. Out of 400+ books there are 43 apparent grades. Even adding in (let's say) 40 or so other books that are "restored" blue, we're still looking at a number between 10 and 20% based on the only EVIDENCE available to us. Your story is not evidence to me (since you are a pr|ck, who plays fast and loose with the truth when it serves you.)

SO tell me again how this isn't debatable?

By the way, only part of this stems from the fact that I think you're an hole of the highest order grin.gif The rest is just my argumentative nature mixing with the fact that this story seems a little flimsy...

How's your CGC NM/M 9.8 DD 168 treating you. I bet you can't wait until it finally shows up in the census. Interesting how they skipped it during that last update...

Hey, I'm with crusty 100% on this. There is no way that a buyer as wealthy as Cage is going to purchase restored comics, or worse still, pay full market for the unrestored equivalent. If you truly believe this, then there is something wrong with your thought processes.

Those in the know realize that swindling rich, though inexperienced, collectors has been the backbone of the hobby for as long as I can remember. The richer the better, as that means the chances of the restored books being resold (and potentially found out) is much, much lower.

CGC is the wild card that none of the swindlers expected to be dealt.

Procrustean,

If I have been reading you right, you are saying that you believe that he had (lets use 100 as a nice round figure) books looked at and about half were found to have restoration. after finding this he decided to maybe have 10 or 15 of what were perhaps his favorites of the restored books slabbed.

The rest of the restored books were maybe not worth slabbing, or maybe he was so disgusted at the number of restored books that he just quit having the restored books slabbed once he realized it was going to be such a high percentage of his collection, and finished the slabbing by having only the unrestored copies slabbed for the rest of the process.

This would make sense and would probably be what I would do as well.

Phil

Hahahahaha...well I must say you are quite an amusing kid muddy, in a sad kind of way. A few words that come to mind when reading your typical drivel would be....less, Pusillanimous, Vituperative,...well, there are too many to list, look em' up as i'm positive you know what none of them means.

Yes, you're right, i'm not capable of sustaining an argument with the likes of you, you're just wayyyyyyyyy too smart for me damn. However, you do know one important fact correct?....you're my son!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Good Lord,... the 9.8 reference in my auction was a mistake and was suppose to read 9.6! IMPOSSIBLE I know, but that's about it.

"If you can't answer a man's arguments, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names"

Elbert Hubbard

less, Pusillanimous, Vituperative

I now have not doubt whatsoever that you are Pulpy! You shouldn't use the same, tired, "I'm so smart" vocab tricks twice... There aren't many goobers out there of that caliber, there's no way two such could possibly show up on the same board within the same month.

you're a piece of work...

"If you can't answer a man's arguments, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names"

That's a great quote, since you're living it right now...

I'm still waiting for an answer, PulpyCrusty, about what cage did with the other 200+ hundred restored books necessary to make the math in your story work...

If you can give some believable info on that, then we can get started on me believing the rest of your story...

Hey, I'm with crusty 100% on this. There is no way that a buyer as wealthy as Cage is going to purchase restored comics, or worse still, pay full market for the unrestored equivalent. If you truly believe this, then there is something wrong with your thought processes.

Yeah, sure... you'd also think that someone with Cage's money would never settle for anything less than say VF 8.0, but yet there are probably 150 books in grades ranging from 3.0-6.5 throughout his collection.

None of us know his motivations for collecting. None of us know what his goals were in terms of the sort of books he was looking for. We can't answer that. We can only speculate.

Those in the know realize that swindling rich, though inexperienced, collectors has been the backbone of the hobby for as long as I can remember. The richer the better, as that means the chances of the restored books being resold (and potentially found out) is much, much lower.

I'm not arguing this point. I'm also not saying that Fischler didn't sell Cage some books (unintentionally/ intentionally- take your pick) as unrestored, when they were in fact restored.

What I take issue with is the ridiculous numbers in this story and the lack of credbile evidence to support any of it.

Again, look at the cage books for sale at heritage. The vast majority of the keys that he has for sale are unrestored. A lot of the restored examples are (a)not keys and (b) not high grade... This leads to the question- If CrustyPulpy's story is true, wouldn't the reverse be true? If you were trying to dupe your famous client by selling him restored books as unrestored, don't you think you'd aim a little higher?

It just doesn't make any sense...

• Administrator

Wouldn't it be cool if Nicolas Cage stopped by the boards and made some comments? I'll give him a call and see if he will.

Yah.

Right.

In the meantime, can we stifle the obscenities and name calling, please? Mud, you may feel provoked, but there's no need to up the ante. Procrustean, you don't really need to drip with condescension just because someone doesn't agree with you - even if you happen to think their reasoning for disagreeing is nuts.

In short - don't feed the trolls. That applies to WHOEVER may be acting the troll at any given time. Except darth. He's ok to feed, mostly. I think. Maybe. tongue.gif

Thanks,

Arch

Arguing is cool.

But flame wars are counter-productive.

Even if they're fun. (laugh)

Oh I agree that the numbers may be a bit off, but I'll tell you one thing: there is no way Cage bought that Mile High Cap #1 for big bucks, with the full knowledge that it was restored.

It's supposed to be a nice looking book and it is a Mile High, so, really, there's no reason to automatically believe he didn't buy it with full knowledge of the restoration (if he did, he'd still be losing money, by the way. The prices paid for restored books has plummeted since the time he would have been buying.) The insane stigma attached to restored books is a relatively new phenomenon.

That said, could it have been an undisclosed sale? Easily. Is that wrong? 100% and I'm happy that CGC is around to help stem that particular tide.

but... this is all speculation. We have no idea how much he paid. We have no idea about the transaction. We don't even know who sold it to him....

By the way, I personally would love to have that book, color touches and all.

I heard Nic Cage is already lurking on these boards, hanging with the coin collectors, infusing their otherwise drab grey lives with a badly needed infusion of COOL!

Mud, I don't know the specifics, but its there any possibility that the Nic Cage collection has not been posted in its entirety and that there are more of these restos to come in later lots? Heritage may be putting up the market viable books now to "test" the waters. This can be used as a marketing gimmick to get more hits on their site for as long as they have a book for auction that was part of the Nic Cage Collection. Why get rid of it in one shot? As a seller, I know I would never post my highest grades all at once. Inundating the market with all high grades dilutes the limited spending pool of cash, resulting in lower grossing sales than if timed properly and interspersed at optimum intervals of time - I learned that from "you guys on these boards" wink.gif

Arch, I don't troll 24/7, maybe 20/6, or 18/7... wink.gif

That could be the case, although, unless he's got a Detective 27 hidden away somewhere, I'm not sure exactly what books he could be holding on to. Practically every other Golden Age key is present in his collection and for sale right now.

To be honest, this auction is already going to strain the hobby's cash reserves. There are so many keys and so much high grade material it's not even funny.

My biggest issue with this post is that no one involved in the transaction has posted. Obviously Nicolas Cage isn't on the Board and I'm sure Metropolis has their side of this story. Every dealer has sold a seller a restored book at some time. Some did it knowingly and others didn't. Your quote that Nick was pissed and said F*** this and F*** the industry would only be known by Steve, Vinny and Nicolas unless the "Deep Throat" was in the room. Maybe "Deep Throat" would like to post his credentials on why I should believe him. And for you naysayers that why would he buy a restored book makes me question your credentials. It's well known who color touched the Mile Highs, why don't you tell me who did it and why? The Mile High keys have been sold for years with that knowledge. Unlike some of the other threads about questionable Dealers you are definitely opening yourself to Libel and slander on this one.

A question for Matt Nelson (restoman): Did Cage have any books CGC'ed prior to consigning them to you (Heritage)?

Crusty's 'source' implies that Cage had books graded, found out many were restored, THEN decided to sell. If the books weren't graded prior to you taking possession, the story becomes dubious.

Also there is a huge difference between 50-70% restored and the 10% in Heritage's possession. (Like the difference between a CGC 9.6 and 9.8 DD168 grin.gif ) Does Cage have any books he hasn't handed over to you and Heritage, Matt? For the 50% figure to be accurate, Cage would have to be sitting on a load of restored books still.