• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Your Eyes Only they said, but EVERYONE should read this!
3 3

178 posts in this topic

For the 50% figure to be accurate, Cage would have to be sitting on a load of restored books still.

if you count just the purple label books, Cage would have to be sitting on about 360 restored books. If you count the "restored" but blue books, the figure drops to a meager (estimate- I can't easily chek the restored but blue) 250 is the magic number to make the math work.

Yeah, I've got the same issues with the figures cited as you do, mudd.

Procrustean,

If I have been reading you right, you are saying that you believe that he had (lets use 100 as a nice round figure) books looked at and about half were found to have restoration. after finding this he decided to maybe have 10 or 15 of what were perhaps his favorites of the restored books slabbed.

The rest of the restored books were maybe not worth slabbing, or maybe he was so disgusted at the number of restored books that he just quit having the restored books slabbed once he realized it was going to be such a high percentage of his collection, and finished the slabbing by having only the unrestored copies slabbed for the rest of the process.

Also, how can this be true? Read Matt Nelson's summary of the runs on sale. They are nearly complete. Clearly, there were not large chunks (50%) of these runs that were screened as restored and held back by Cage.

If it's Golden age and restored then it isn't restored (see the back of the CGC lable on any book). When someone tells you that this practice is "generaly accepted", what they are really saying is "I'm one of a minority of collectors/investors that have a ton of $$$ invested in restored GA books." They are the ones that made up this exception and convinced CGC to perpetrate the lie.

I could be wrong...........but I'm not. wink.gif

Also, how can this be true? Read Matt Nelson's summary of the runs on sale. They are nearly complete. Clearly, there were not large chunks (50%) of these runs that were screened as restored and held back by Cage.

OK, I read Matt's summary. I can't see anywhere that he says "I have seen every comic that Mr. Cage owns" nor do I see where he says "I have seen every comic that Mr. Cage had screened for restoration" He says he has seen all of the comics that were submitted to Heritage. This certainly does not disprove what Crusty said.I am not saying Crusty is right or wrong, I have no idea but I am glad he posted. It certainly has made for a verrrrrry looooong thread.

Phil

Phil,

I'm just getting at the point that these are many of the key Golden Age runs, and seem to be solid without many restored books present. It is possible Cage has more Golden Age books/runs with more extensive restoration in terms of numbers, which is why I posed the question to Matt Nelson. But, these runs certainly seem to represent a reasonable cross-section of Golden Age books, and the restoration is nowhere near 50%.

OK,

I am just thinking that there are many scenarios that are not being looked at in this thread. For example

1. Mr. Cage shows his collection to a friend who is very much "into" comics.

2. This friend says hmmmm about two hundred (or whatever number) appear to be restored, but you should get a professional opinion.

3. Mr. Cage separates this (200?) books and selects just a few to submit with all of the ones that the "friend" states are unrestored.

4. The supposed "restored" books start coming back and they are indeed restored

5. Would he now submit the other books, or would he ask his financial advisor if these books may become more valuable... say ... 20 years in the future even though they are restored?

Phil

This is where my opinion resides as well. We've only heard from Crusty in this (I'm in no way saying he or his source is misinformed), but "I" would need further corroborating evidence from at least one other party in this scenario before deciding one way or the other.

The one thing no one seems to have mentioned or thought about is that the Nic Cage auction is a joint auction between Heritage and The Mint. Does it say anywhere that Heritage has possesion of all his comics? Wouldn't The Mint have half of his collection?

By the way Mudbuddha, would you know if there is a way to search the Heritage site for just the Cage collection?

You can't search on "Cage" it only returns a few hits. You can browse by lot # however, since all of his books are going off in session 1 (Lots 5001-5414 are cage's)

You can start here and browse by hitting "next"

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auctions/viewlot.asp?s=804&l=5001&SID=

or you can glance over the listings here:

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auctions/lots.asp?SID=

Sure Scottish, but someone sold Cage restored books, and it would be a coincidence of galactic proportions for 100% of them to be fully disclosed and documented to Mr. Cage, pre-sale.

If anyone believes that he was never scammed on a single restored book, then please continue living in your dreamworld. La-tee-taaaa

Understood. I didn't mean to imply that I believed the Cage books to be completely free of problems - I'm just not willing to point a finger at anyone person at this point without further proof (and again, I'm not saying procustean OR his source is wrong). If not for CGC I could easily and unknowningly sell someone a restored book.

Did Cage buy ALL his books from one source?

That's it for me fellas. 7 pm is past this old man's bedtime. See ya all tomorrow! Bright and early!

Understood. I didn't mean to imply that I believed the Cage books to be completely free of problems - I'm just not willing to point a finger at anyone person at this point without further proof.

Me neither, but I still have to look at the situation with a realistic eye and the knowledge than many fellow collectors have been sold similar books, and told that there was no restoration.

No finger pointing from this cat, but I'm not going to white-wash it with some fairy tale about Cage getting a point-by-point restoration list with all his comics.

"Me neither, but I still have to look at the situation with a realistic eye and the knowledge than many fellow collectors have been sold similar books, and told that there was no restoration".

And for the record please let it be known that I as a dealer have been sold restored books from collectors claiming they were unrestored. Many times I get the innocent "I don't know how it got there". Well, golly gee, I've actually gotten one collector who admitted using his daughters black mascara to cover stress lines. At that point I stated that I would never buy a single book off him.

Get off the F**King throne about dealers being the only ones selling restored books.

It would be OLD. Or at least I feel that way most days. I get up for work about 5:15am, but then I'm done at 3pm in the afternoon. I just like to chill out in the evenings before bed and you guys are a little too intense for the likes of me. wink.gifgrin.gif