• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I don't want to bump an old thread (but I am going too), but these WD1 9.8s consistently seem to bring right around 2k, and in some cases more. One on eBay recently sold for a BIN of $2749

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-1-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-First-1st-Appearance-of-Rick-Grimes-/190809118418?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c6d1c16d2

How do you see who popped the BIN?

I don't think it shows you....

As for the other keys, and I am just grabbing the first few I see....

#19 - 9.8 $615

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-19-First-Printing-CGC-9-8-NM-M-First-Appearance-of-Michonne-/350755976786?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51aaaf7652

#19 - 9.8 $486

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-19-First-Print-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-Low-Reserve-/281083210767?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4171dd6c0f

#27 - 9.8 $343

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-WALKING-DEAD-27-CGC-9-8-Mint-1ST-PRINT-KIRKMAN-IMAGE-NO-RESERVE-/330900707090?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4d0b381712

#27 - 9.8 $325

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-27-First-Printing-CGC-9-8-NM-M-First-Governor-/221208531861?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item33810e5395

A year ago

Walking Dead #19 CGC 9.8s averaged $800,while Walking Dead #27 9.8 CGSs averaged $500.

The keeper is Walking Dead #1. It is a low print run,and ushered in a new age of modern comics.

Walking Dead CGC 9.8 #1 is worth more than an oz of gold now if you think about it. hm

lol good comparison.

When I first started this thread I had three seperate people tell me to take medium/long term positions in gold. I sunk that money into comics instead. Very happy with my decision.

I wouldn't part with my #1 in Black Mature for less than $3000 just because I like it and there are probably less than 200 of them out there.

There are way more than 200 black copies. lol

I wouldn't part with my #1 in Black Mature for less than $3000 just because I like it and there are probably less than 200 of them out there.

I assumed me meant 9.8s but he didn't specify.

correct.

Just google "Beanie Baby Bubble" and see how long that one lasted. Personally, I think Walking Dead Comics (or any comics) are a lot cooler than beanie babies, but the prices have been outside the realm of reality for quite a while, just like the beanie baby prices back in the 90s.

Yes, 9.8. Was it 20% of the run that were black? I don't remember. Just pulling the number from another post I read.

Kirkman has stated that there is more black than whites (doesn't that sound bad). However, eBay sales would lead one to believe opposite.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3981842

Yes, 9.8. Was it 20% of the run that were black? I don't remember. Just pulling the number from another post I read.

Kirkman has stated that there is more black than whites (doesn't that sound bad). However, eBay sales would lead one to believe opposite.

There was a really cool WD thread about the Black/White versions that had a Kirkman interview discussing it. I have no clue where/when/how to find it because I'm not into WD, but I did find it interesting.

One last thing, it is our understanding that the initial print run of The Walking Dead #1 had the colors for the "MATURE READERS" warning printed in the wrong sequence so that the black lettering was printed on top of the white, which disappeared. This was noticed and corrected so the black lettering on subsequent issues adds some shadow/depth to the white letters. Sources indicate that there are around 4,000 issues with the black lettering with the rest white, hence the white is rarer (although more white variants seem to come to market).

The black lettered issues were printed first hence could be viewed as the first print with the white as the second print; the black lettered variant could also be viewed as an error variant of sorts. All the ink is there on both issues and CGC don't differentiate between the two variants (they probably didn't spot the difference until many were graded i.e. too late) so this is probably just a storm in a teacup.

http://www.recalledcomics.com/TheWalkingDead1.php

Picking the exact top or the exact bottom is VERY difficult - but when you are buying a book, any book, it's all about supply and demand. RIGHT NOW the supply is low, the demand is HIGH - hence the books command some serious bucks. The real question is when will supply equal demand OR when will supply exceed demand. If you think just because there are only 7k #1s that this book will always be a $2500 in 9.8. you are most likely wrong. Does it mean right now is the peak? No, not at all. It could become a $5k book, who knows. However, if you are buying a book based on the popularity of a tv series, the question becomes when will the tv show start sucking (if ever) and/or get cancelled? Can this franchise MAINTAIN it's current level of hype? Movies, video games, lunch boxes, novels, etc. Can it be maintained/franchised for 30+ years, ala Star Wars, TMNT, etc? Most likely NOT. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but odds are in favor of this book losing value sometime down the road. Will a #1 ever be a dollar bin book? Doubtful. But in a decade it could be a $300 book. Or it could be a $5k book, it's tough to make that call. If I could "short" these books like I can short stocks, would I? Absolutely. Short term there may be some pain, but long term, I'd gladly sell a modern for $2500 with the obligation to buy it back sometime in the future to rebuy the issue I borrowed from another collector and sold.

Edited by diestler

I think the tv series sucks already. I tried to keep watching but couldn't make it. I read to issue 97 with the comics which was also painful.

Agreed. I'm not sure if that will make the early issues more desirable or less. The first 50 issues of the series are, imo, right up there with the best of them.

I think the tv series sucks already. I tried to keep watching but couldn't make it. I read to issue 97 with the comics which was also painful.

We are over the hump, I believe - people are starting to drift away into other interests, the next hot thing, etc. It's not going to go away overnight, but the marketplace is ready for people to go bat*spoon* crazy over something completely different.

My guess is that we are going to see a resurgence of "alien/scifi" stuff - Mars is in the news constantly (with the Reality Show colonization project), we've found two Earth-sized planets in our galaxy, people love Saga, Star Wars is getting a boost to the entire franchise and Thanos' movie tie-ins are going to be bringing the cosmic Marvel tales to the forefront.

I'd be putting my money on scifi, if I were into buying the next "hot" thing people are going to freak out over.

There was a really cool WD thread about the Black/White versions that had a Kirkman interview discussing it. I have no clue where/when/how to find it because I'm not into WD, but I did find it interesting.

I think you're talking about the thread I started. Here is the link. (thumbs u

Walking Dead FAQ with Answers

One last thing, it is our understanding that the initial print run of The Walking Dead #1 had the colors for the "MATURE READERS" warning printed in the wrong sequence so that the black lettering was printed on top of the white, which disappeared. This was noticed and corrected so the black lettering on subsequent issues adds some shadow/depth to the white letters. Sources indicate that there are around 4,000 issues with the black lettering with the rest white, hence the white is rarer (although more white variants seem to come to market).

The black lettered issues were printed first hence could be viewed as the first print with the white as the second print; the black lettered variant could also be viewed as an error variant of sorts. All the ink is there on both issues and CGC don't differentiate between the two variants (they probably didn't spot the difference until many were graded i.e. too late) so this is probably just a storm in a teacup.

http://www.recalledcomics.com/TheWalkingDead1.php

The link isn't working for me, but from your post it looks like they read my thread too. lol

Walkiing Dead FAQ with Answers

See question #1. They are right about how the black vs. white happened; however, the 4000 number was a rumor that was spread. It is NOT true. The truth is they were never counted and the true number is unknown.

I think you're talking about the thread I started. Here is the link. (thumbs u

Walking Dead FAQ with Answers

Yep! That is it. Very informative.