• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

1ST PRINT/2ND PRINT?

Part of the first print, rest of the first print.

WACKY

And any price differences, or claims of one being more "rare" than the other are based entirely on anecdotal, localized, or incomplete personal or 2nd hand information regarding which is more ubiquitous.

1ST PRINT/2ND PRINT?

Part of the first print, rest of the first print.

WACKY

And any price differences, or claims of one being more "rare" than the other are based entirely on anecdotal, localized, or incomplete personal or 2nd hand information regarding which is more ubiquitous.

Exactly right.

I love the show, and love the comics, but I couldn't buy a copy at the prices they're going for right now. I have no faith in the ability to maintain.

I know other examples have been posted here, so I thought I would add to that. Marvel Comics Star Wars #1. Nice rise in price back in the day, but definitely came back to earth after the movies ran their original course.

Bottom line, books are worth what someone will pay for them, and after the show is off the air for a few years, less demand is inevitable...let's hope that's 25 years from now, because it's the best show on TV in my opinion!

Edited by RockyMullins

I think one of the things that wasnt discussed here was simply this:

What was the HIGHEST drop in price for a comic (not in percentage but in actual figures). I'm seriously curious, has there ever been a comic that went from 2-3000 to, say a couple of hundreds over a short or even extended period of time?

When Walking Dead #1 first went to press back in 2003, the "MATURE READERS" tag was originally supposed to be WHITE. Due to a printing mixup, the very first copies off the press had the "MATURE READERS" tag in BLACK. Once this was discovered, the presses were stopped, the color was fixed, and the rest of the print run was produced with white letters. While the exact print runs of each variation are not known, it is estimated that only 20% - 25% of the entire print run feature the original black letters. Just one look at eBay completed auctions and it's quite obvious that the black version is MUCH rarer! And...with a total combined print run of just 7,266 copies, that would place the print run of the original black letters printing at less than 2000 copies. Incredibly tough book! If you want the single best example of the hottest book on the planet, then...this is it!

When Walking Dead #1 first went to press back in 2003, the "MATURE READERS" tag was originally supposed to be WHITE. Due to a printing mixup, the very first copies off the press had the "MATURE READERS" tag in BLACK. Once this was discovered, the presses were stopped, the color was fixed, and the rest of the print run was produced with white letters. While the exact print runs of each variation are not known, it is estimated that only 20% - 25% of the entire print run feature the original black letters. Just one look at eBay completed auctions and it's quite obvious that the black version is MUCH rarer! And...with a total combined print run of just 7,266 copies, that would place the print run of the original black letters printing at less than 2000 copies. Incredibly tough book! If you want the single best example of the hottest book on the planet, then...this is it!

Looks like the white warning label has a lower print run than the black warning.

Didn't know that, but hey that's uber cool! Got me a white one. :)

Well, you both can't be right? (shrug)

Looks like the white warning label has a lower print run than the black warning.

Didn't know that, but hey that's uber cool! Got me a white one. :)

Well, you both can't be right? (shrug)

I could have misread what was stated....I'll rely upon those much smarter than myself to determine if one of those labels is more rare or not. :)

On ebay right now:

Search: Walking Dead #1; Refine: Price Highest

1st Page Results:

Black Label - 5

White Label - 18

The black label comes up for sale less often, that is for sure. A lot less often. That doesn't prove 100% that there are less but, over the last 12 months, there has been a similar ratio available on ebay.

It's my opinion that there are significantly less black copies. That is what I choose to believe. Others, obviously, can choose to have a different opinion.

On ebay right now:

Search: Walking Dead #1; Refine: Price Highest

1st Page Results:

Black Label - 5

White Label - 18

The black label comes up for sale less often, that is for sure. A lot less often. That doesn't prove 100% that there are less but, over the last 12 months, there has been a similar ratio available on ebay.

It's my opinion that there are significantly less black copies. That is what I choose to believe.

If anyone would like to trade their black for my white, please PM me.

I have been following the Labels for a while, The black comes up a lot less...