• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I agree to some parts. The investors will start to sell their books. And It will be over a longer period say 24 months. You may get a drop say 30% but not a major plunge. You will have the core collectors who love the series holding on to their books. The two years after cancellation of the show it may cool where the books go slightly cheaper then 30% at auction.

But remember there is a small print run.

The books are not going to drop over 50% as there would be hard core fans to buy in bringing the price up.

Then in another 15 years the book will experience a resurgence.

It happened with TMNT in the 80's

The book was hot the price went up and when it cooled down the price did not drop as much because of the low print run.

Now they are hot and when one in high grade comes to auction well you can see the result.

This is just my opinion and I have never read a Walking Dead comic but love the television show and I've been watching it from the start.

I think it will start to pop when they announce the tv series is discontinued. Then it will seep for 6 months before plummeting when people realize it is only going one direction and people fall over each other to get rid of the books.

You had me till you said plummeting.

The keys issues will drop 25-30% and then level off.

I will say I love the Walking Dead (well issues 1-49 anyway) and that is why I have pretty much sold all my WD books cause I know in 5 years time I can rebuy them all at a more realistic value.

I know things are cooling a bit, but do we honestly think a franchise with a show who pulls more viewers (13.3 million) than Sunday Night Football, will long term see a drop with a book where only 7,500 exist?

Just an FYI, I sold my #1's before the start of this season for $2,250. I have one more No. 1 black label yet (9.4... meh).

I've now gone on to switching heavy into prime OA for the book. I'd rather have something unique/ on-of-a-kind.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/walking-dead-nfl-sunday-night-football-tv-ratings/

I know things are cooling a bit, but do we honestly think a franchise with a show who pulls more viewers (13.3 million) than Sunday Night Football, will long term see a drop with a book where only 7,500 exist?

Just an FYI, I sold my #1's before the start of this season for $2,250. I have one more No. 1 black label yet (9.4... meh).

I've now gone on to switching heavy into prime OA for the book. I'd rather have something unique/ on-of-a-kind.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/walking-dead-nfl-sunday-night-football-tv-ratings/

(thumbs u

I think it won't get lower $1,400 but right now it's not ideal to buy it and sell it. Think Tax Time is a perfect time to unload on someone that got themselves some extra money! :headbang:

WD 1 doesn't seem to sell well on this forum but it sells everyday on eBay. Sales data is robust and fairly consistent.

I don't see 1-7 really dropping much in value. In fact #2 has increased a lot.

The show is having a spin off and with so many viewers I just think this will be a mainstay key. Sure prices will fluctuate but overall it's not bursting.

As slow as it's been going, I think it's hurting sales of the #1's (shrug)

Right now it's selling for under $2,000 and decending. Its usually a bad sign when people dont snach a book under 20% GPA. It also doesn't help that there's a flood of books during the holiday season. With that being said, I can't wait until I can get a 9.8 at $1,000!

P.S. anyone want to sell one? :applause:

1K seems appealing right now, but it won't be appealing if the price actually drops another 50% to reach that price point. Sinking ships are rarely appealing...

WD 1 doesn't seem to sell well on this forum but it sells everyday on eBay. Sales data is robust and fairly consistent.

I don't see 1-7 really dropping much in value. In fact #2 has increased a lot.

The show is having a spin off and with so many viewers I just think this will be a mainstay key. Sure prices will fluctuate but overall it's not bursting.

Did you buy WD 1 off the rack?

This one still confuses me, I know people are fans of the stories, but comics are rarely valuable long-term because the stories were good.

As many on this site have said before: comics that hold value and grow long-term, include characters that each new generation latches on to. If every character or series was popular forever many of our favorite books from childhood would be worth significantly more than they are. WD, at its core, appears to be a well written story about great characters battling for survival in a die-ing world. It is hard to believe that children will latch onto this story as strongly as they do to Spiderman, Batman, Mickey Mouse or Superman.

There is still money to be made on this series, but it will sharply decline in value at some point (just like all the other forgotten favorite heroes/series in their own time).

As far as current value goes, sales trends are flat to slightly declining recently. Based on the data below, one could argue that buying the books right now at a 20% discount to GPA would be a smart move. I wouldn't be holding on to this book 2-3 years from now, but at 20% off GPA there appears to be some margin in it for the comic flippers out there.

wd1.png

Edited by rfoiii

The series LOST was incredibly popular... and now its out of sight out of mind. I think the same thing will happen to walking dead. But time will tell.

The series LOST was incredibly popular... and now its out of sight out of mind.

Tell that to the people trying to buy an affordable copy of Mystery Tales #40 now. :frustrated:

That book would be super difficult if it didn't have a tie-in to that show. Add 10 more people who want a copy and that ramps demand for those copies up a lot because so few come to market already. It won't be the same with WD, as the supply is much higher to begin with. WD has also been reprinted a million times, so you don't need to buy an original, much less a slabbed one, to read it. I don't think the MT has been reprinted, and if so the reprint is going to be fairly uncommon too.

The series LOST was incredibly popular... and now its out of sight out of mind. I think the same thing will happen to walking dead. But time will tell.

Does Lost have a 100+ issue comic series that is written by the same creative team virtually since the beginning?

That is like comparing Apples and Dogs- that's right, we aren't even comparing fruit anymore.

I agree with the TMNT analogy, I haven't been in the collecting business that long but I would think such a massive franchise would even if it cooled down and people (audience) moved on still keep value and be wanted by collectors in 15 years' time

Well I hope so cause it costing me a lot to get my run :ohnoez:

Think of the Marvel 616... I believe kirkman has created a world that he can write in for the next 20 plus years..... there are so many things he can and will do.... The cure, new order, treasure hunting, side stories, other parts of the world? He has just filled one tiny portion of this world and that took ten years ! Just an opinion, Prices will fluctuate for sure but is this near the end or something we are going to see for 20 plus years? If these assumptions are correct then I would say #1-50 are still very undervalued..

I am in no way saying this is the same as the 616 but if you think about this world in those terms it seems like Mr Kirkman has a long way to go?

I do believe that $1000.00 plus for a 10 year old book is a little crazy but people are buying !

QUOTE:

How long could you keep the comic book going?

I'm doing the math on this. I'm 34 years old. By the time I'm 65, I might actually get pretty far. If I don't get bored and people are still enjoying the story, I can do 1,000 issues of The Walking Dead. So it is actually possible to tell a story that follows the collapse of civilization into the dark ages into the rebirth of civilization, where things are completely different. There could be an issue 700 of The Walking Dead that's about people delivering mail. That is exciting to me.

Do you have an end in mind for the whole thing?

I have an end in mind for the comic, and I actually wrote the final scene the other day. I know what I want the final dialogue to be. It may change but the interesting thing to me is that I can never tell anyone involved in this show what the ending that I have in mind is because the comic book most likely will outlive the show. I can't have any nugget of what I have planned making it into the show, because if the show ends on season 12 but the comic doesn't end for, eight, 10 or 20 more years, my ending will be spoiled. That would me off.

With over 640 copies and rising in 9.8, I believe this will be a 1k book within five years regardless of where the show is at. Who knows how many 9.6's will be pressed up. If you want one, there is always a 9.8 available for sale somewhere. You're better off with the OA. (Moore's)

I agree with the TMNT analogy, I haven't been in the collecting business that long but I would think such a massive franchise would even if it cooled down and people (audience) moved on still keep value and be wanted by collectors in 15 years' time

The TMNT analogy will only be applicable to TMNT if WD winds up having either films or TV shows constantly on the air for the next 25 years.

TMNT has had movies, TV shows, toy lines, books, comics, and licensed material over the entirety of that time span. That's more responsible for the enduring nature of the franchise than anything else.

Another big factor is that TMNT is geared towards children through movies, TV and toys. They just keep making more children. Every few years you can reboot, retool, and re-release the same TMNT material to an entirely new group of children who will eat it up.

Things geared entirely towards adults, and without the marketing flexibility that children's licenses inherently possess will have an inevitable ebb and flow of their popularity over time.

The TMNT analogy will only be applicable to TMNT if WD winds up having either films or TV shows constantly on the air for the next 25 years.

TMNT has had movies, TV shows, toy lines, books, comics, and licensed material over the entirety of that time span. That's more responsible for the enduring nature of the franchise than anything else.

Another big factor is that TMNT is geared towards children through movies, TV and toys. They just keep making more children. Every few years you can reboot, retool, and re-release the same TMNT material to an entirely new group of children who will eat it up.

Things geared entirely towards adults, and without the marketing flexibility that children's licenses inherently possess will have an inevitable ebb and flow of their popularity over time.

+1

WD is I think more like 'Lost' than TMNT in that it will come and go like Lost.

GOTG has a much higher chance of being like or surpassing TMNT in terms of merchandize and enduring interest.