• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Good to see this thread is still going strong. As I said before, the true test of this book will come two to five years after the television series is cancelled. I do not see this as being in the same caliber as Superman or Spider-Man.

Of course not... but "it was a low run :eek::wishluck::eek: "

Well yeah, it was, but there are many many titles that had similarly low runs that are not even worth their original cover price..

WD 1 doesn't seem to sell well on this forum but it sells everyday on eBay. Sales data is robust and fairly consistent.

I don't see 1-7 really dropping much in value. In fact #2 has increased a lot.

The show is having a spin off and with so many viewers I just think this will be a mainstay key. Sure prices will fluctuate but overall it's not bursting.

Did you buy WD 1 off the rack?

No I wish.

I bought a 9.6 for a decent price and could stand to lose money should the bubble burst.

I won't be heart broken if it drops mainly because I love the comic run but as a silver age collector, it will probably turn me off to collecting modern comics ever again. I'll just buy the TPBs

WD 1 doesn't seem to sell well on this forum but it sells everyday on eBay. Sales data is robust and fairly consistent.

I don't see 1-7 really dropping much in value. In fact #2 has increased a lot.

The show is having a spin off and with so many viewers I just think this will be a mainstay key. Sure prices will fluctuate but overall it's not bursting.

Did you buy WD 1 off the rack?

No I wish.

I bought a 9.6 for a decent price and could stand to lose money should the bubble burst.

I won't be heart broken if it drops mainly because I love the comic run but as a silver age collector, it will probably turn me off to collecting modern comics ever again. I'll just buy the TPBs

(thumbs u

You should have started that 10 years ago.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Think of the Marvel 616... I believe kirkman has created a world that he can write in for the next 20 plus years..... there are so many things he can and will do.... The cure, new order, treasure hunting, side stories, other parts of the world? He has just filled one tiny portion of this world and that took ten years ! Just an opinion, Prices will fluctuate for sure but is this near the end or something we are going to see for 20 plus years? If these assumptions are correct then I would say #1-50 are still very undervalued..

I am in no way saying this is the same as the 616 but if you think about this world in those terms it seems like Mr Kirkman has a long way to go?

I do believe that $1000.00 plus for a 10 year old book is a little crazy but people are buying !

QUOTE:

How long could you keep the comic book going?

I'm doing the math on this. I'm 34 years old. By the time I'm 65, I might actually get pretty far. If I don't get bored and people are still enjoying the story, I can do 1,000 issues of The Walking Dead. So it is actually possible to tell a story that follows the collapse of civilization into the dark ages into the rebirth of civilization, where things are completely different. There could be an issue 700 of The Walking Dead that's about people delivering mail. That is exciting to me.

Do you have an end in mind for the whole thing?

I have an end in mind for the comic, and I actually wrote the final scene the other day. I know what I want the final dialogue to be. It may change but the interesting thing to me is that I can never tell anyone involved in this show what the ending that I have in mind is because the comic book most likely will outlive the show. I can't have any nugget of what I have planned making it into the show, because if the show ends on season 12 but the comic doesn't end for, eight, 10 or 20 more years, my ending will be spoiled. That would me off.

I agree with this in terms of the 'universe' that Kirkman has created, and how long this series could potentially last. I often wonder to myself while reading it: "what else is happening in this world while we are observing these events?". That's something I'd actually like to see one day and it's cool that this is actually going to happen on TV.

I also agree with Grails about the Moore OA obviously being the best long-term bet. But the first six issues are always going to be special aswell, IMO. To me, anyway.

You should have started that 10 years ago.

doh! I know... :(

Oh well, I might still sell the entire run one day soon...

I'm kind of letting TWD pile up in my DVR which is not a good sign. It does have around 50 episodes under its belt. Isn't there a spin-off coming in 2015 which means at least two more WD seasons. Book pricing? There are tons of them in 9.6 and up.

Off topic: Why don't they have zombie Easter eggs. How funny would it be to see (example) Christoper Walken walking around anonymously as a zombie with that damn cowbell. Maybe the zombies lined up so only people that know the Thriller video would get it? If you were the director(s), wouldn't you be having a little fun and teasing the fans? I would trade that for the Talking Dead in a second. Marilyn Manson? The rocker from yester-decade; not one of his jokes were funny. This week was the Mythbusters guy.

when i think of a bubble i imagine a book whose price has gone parabolic and then cracks; in 9.8 this has already occurred. will anyone ever pay $3750 for this book in 9.8 again? given that a 9.9 just sold for a $15k high, clearly that bubble hasn't burst.

No.

The Walking Dead books will ride the wave as long as the TV show keeps going (unless the show gets stale before it finishes its run.

What some people seem to forget was the Walking Dead #1 was hitting close to $800 before there ever was talk of a TV show, so this Walking Dead has been quite the anomaly. In fact it is not just an anomaly in the comic book market, but in the overall collectibles market as well. I challenge anyone to name me one collectible that has come out post 2003 that is worth over $1000 raw after being under $3 retail. You won`t find another collectible in sports cards, coins, action figures, video games, Magic the Gathering, Hot Wheels or whatever else collectible field that has jumped in price like that. Again I challenge anyone to prove me wrong post-2003. :)

Next I don`t get why people are so concerned about the Walking Dead. It`s not a fad, and now is the modern age holy grail of comic books. I would be more concerned about if Hulk #181,ASM #300 New Mutants #98,Saga #1 or Peter Panzer Faust #1 bubbles popping more then Walking Dead`s bubble popping! lol

Next part 2. I was looking at the videogame charts, and we now find the Walking Dead videogames have now sold in the millions, so let`s put this Walking Dead bubble bursting to rest. Game is now over, as now it is a video game blockbuster! Yes there might be a market correction, but to think one will find the first 60 issues in the quarter bins is :screwy:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I had hoped the bubble would have burst on Mystery Tales 40, the comic book that was featured on LOST. While that IS an atomic era Atlas book and probably in shorter supply than WD key issues, that book has maintained its value three years after the show has ended.

I had hoped the bubble would have burst on Mystery Tales 40, the comic book that was featured on LOST. While that IS an atomic era Atlas book and probably in shorter supply than WD key issues, that book has maintained its value three years after the show has ended.

Interesting example.

Thanks

The Walking Dead books will ride the wave as long as the TV show keeps going (unless the show gets stale before it finishes its run.

What some people seem to forget was the Walking Dead #1 was hitting close to $800 before there ever was talk of a TV show, so this Walking Dead has been quite the anomaly. In fact it is not just an anomaly in the comic book market, but in the overall collectibles market as well. I challenge anyone to name me one collectible that has come out post 2003 that is worth over $1000 raw after being under $3 retail. You won`t find another collectible in sports cards, coins, action figures, video games, Magic the Gathering, Hot Wheels or whatever else collectible field that has jumped in price like that. Again I challenge anyone to prove me wrong post-2003. :)

Next I don`t get why people are so concerned about the Walking Dead. It`s not a fad, and now is the modern age holy grail of comic books. I would be more concerned about if Hulk #181,ASM #300 New Mutants #98,Saga #1 or Peter Panzer Faust #1 bubbles popping more then Walking Dead`s bubble popping! lol

Next part 2. I was looking at the videogame charts, and we now find the Walking Dead videogames have now sold in the millions, so let`s put this Walking Dead bubble bursting to rest. Game is now over, as now it is a video game blockbuster! Yes there might be a market correction, but to think one will find the first 60 issues is the quarter bins is :screwy:

This likely sold around $3 as silver was in that range. It's 1995 8 years older, but demands numbers unrivaled by any comic dated similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-W-Proof-American-Silver-Eagle-PCGS-DCAM-PR70-ULTRA-RARE-COIN-/111148756113?pt=US_Bullion_Coins&hash=item19e0fb6c91

What some people seem to forget was the Walking Dead #1 was hitting close to $800 before there ever was talk of a TV show, so this Walking Dead has been quite the anomaly.

I'd suggest people keep on forgetting this as it's not true :lol:

It was announced that AMC had acquired the rights to WD in August of 2009 - at that time a WD #1 in 9.8 was a $400-450 book.

The show premiered on October 31st, 2010 - throughout most of 2010 (including after the show premiere), a WD #1 in 9.8 was a $500-600 book with a single outlier sale of $875 on December 4th (immediately followed by three $450-500 sales the following week).

Sales prices remained stuck in the $500-600 range throughout most of 2011 until the premiere of the 2nd season which kicked off the nosebleed price jump.

This likely sold around $3

Um.

No.

Not ever.

As in never, ever.

This likely sold around $3 as silver was in that range. It's 1995 8 years older, but demands numbers unrivaled by any comic dated similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-W-Proof-American-Silver-Eagle-PCGS-DCAM-PR70-ULTRA-RARE-COIN-/111148756113?pt=US_Bullion_Coins&hash=item19e0fb6c91

http://1995wproofsilvereagle.com/

Google is your friend.