• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

What Walking Dead fans need to realise is that this is a natural hazing process.

I still remember Spider-Man being a second rate property to Batman and Superman in the eighties. (Marvel celebrated 25 years while Superman celebrated his 50th, within a few years of each other) I remember arguments about longevity and tradition.

I still remember TMNT being a second rate property compared to the Marvel and DC icons, even as late as ten years ago, disregarding their three movies, multiple cartoon iterations, toy lines, comic lines, etc.

Walking Dead still has to prove itself to comic book fans at large. Long term.

And it will.

Or it won't.

Nice perspective. I guess it's the typical case of what I know and love is awesome and what is new sucks.

My personal opinion is that TWD IS the next big thing and hands down, the most important modern book.

Aside from the price tag...what is it that makes it the next big thing & the most important modern book?

personal opinion

Care to elaborate?

Have you read TWD? I can promise you issues 1-48 are worth a 230+ page thread about debating its longterm relevance. It's great story. Not my favorite, but a great story.

+1

I am a dyed-in-the-wool 80's Marvel Superhero reader and can admit TWD is easily one of the great modern reads. I read up to issue 100 and it really is as good as everyone clamors about. I don't collect it, but it's definitely worth reading - even if zombies aren't your thing (I don't do zombie books).

Everyone talks about character development in comics - but TWD is a fine example of the best kind of character development. We watch these people go from bad to worse, just as you would in real life. It's usually not rushed (except maybe for some Carl moments), it takes it's time and has a great slow build to it throughout. The pacing is incredible and the end-of-issues cliffhangers are as masterfully orchestrated/plotted as any episode of '24'. The art is moody and evocative of it's environment - it's the total package from plotting, writing to the art.

I couldn't care less about any Walking Dead books and I'm not a collector or speculator, but I can attest to why people love the book. It's definitely a modern mainstream masterpiece.

:shy:

This thread became real interesting once the TWD fans started posting.

The thing is, most of them (the WD fans, of which I am one) seem to concur that the current price is a bit high and it will drop. However, we are not concerned because we are not speculating; it is for our PC.

Yet the common retort is that we are stupid to invest $10k in a modern comic. We are, in fact, not doing that. But this seems to be the same back and forth between both sides of the argument.

This thread was very frustrating to read. It was like watching two deaf people arguing with each other with their back turned.

^^

This thread became real interesting once the TWD fans started posting.

The thing is, most of them (the WD fans, of which I am one) seem to concur that the current price is a bit high and it will drop. However, we are not concerned because we are not speculating; it is for our PC.

Yet the common retort is that we are stupid to invest $10k in a modern comic. We are, in fact, not doing that. But this seems to be the same back and forth between both sides of the argument.

This thread was very frustrating to read. It was like watching two deaf people arguing with each other with their back turned.

^^

I had three #1's in 9.8 condition and just sold one last week for $2,100. The comic is still selling strong and will most likely continue to stay strong for a long time. For the last two years I have heard numerous people claiming the comic will go way down in value. Thank god I never listened to them.

I just spent an hour reading some of this thread and I'm surprised how some people really hate this comic. There are some people who are really pissed that it's worth so much which is very bizarre. You would think comic collectors would all hope that the Walking Dead continues to increase in value and the show becomes more and more popular.

Guys the walking dead actually helps the entire comic market. I can't understand why some people hate the success and continue to attack posters that claim the comic's value might rise. The walking dead TV show is a HUGE hit. It's popularity continues to increase and there is no sign that this will not continue. I work for the Federal Government and work with over 100 people. Pretty much every one of them watches and loves the show. Men, women, old people, young people, pretty much everyone watches and likes this show. I can't think of any other show that appeals to so many different groups of people.

In closing the Walking Dead is a top show that will most likely continue for many years. People enjoy the show and IMO pretty much every comic collector should be happy. We actually have one of our comics dominating on TV. This will bring more people to our hobby. The comic is becoming more popular every year and with the low print run of the #1 issue it will most likely remain a big ticket item for years to come(IMO). It's really odd that a comic collector would be hoping for the comic to tank. I have seen a handful of posters always claiming it will and getting upset if anyone disagrees with them. If some people don't think the first issue is a good investment that's fine. Nobody is making you purchase it.

I'm not a Walking Dead hater, but I cannot say it's steep value is a success for our hobby. In fact, I think it has had a negative effect in one regard:

Now everyone and their brother is buying new comics speculating they are going to rise meteorically ala Walking Dead 1. The Walking Dead comics are a rallying cry for the speculators on what is possible for a modern comic that is turned into a TV series or a movie. Since Walking Dead went up a few years ago, the speculation has grown to the point where I would guess many Image #1s are bought solely for speculation, not reading and collecting and this has permeated to other publisher's titles. These same speculators jump on every movie or TV announcement hoping to drive their latest acquisitions up in price. I worry what happens when those speculators leave the hobby. It is creating a false demand for some titles.

With that said, I'm not a Walking Dead reader, but I do follow the TV series. I don't personally care whether the comic is worth $1 or $10,000 as I'm not in the market for it, nor do I anticipate I ever will be. I also cannot really say if the comic is worth it or not. It is worth it if you want the comic and are willing and able to spend the money being asked.

Man this thread is moving fast....

I'm a fan, but would I pay the market off to have a full run at current prices? Nope. I wouldn't even do it at $500 for #1 for a personal collection. I remember considering it when #1 was $160 but looked away for a little too long :sorry:

I did ride the wave though and it has been very kind to me. No regrets in letting go of almost everything I had. It's paid for OA and techy stuff along the way, basically making my hobbies self funding. That's the dream right? My speculation on titles has slowed to a trickle after 2012 because of exactly that problem, where the masses doing it are creating false demand. Have mentioned before I think that 5K+ of East of West #1 are in the hands of speculators as an example. Simply ridiculous.

Currently everyone is seeing the benefit of it too because a lot of that will be funneling its way back into Silver Age titles or elsewhere in the hobby. Once it all calms down I think everyone will feel it if they are in it to make a fast buck. Is this the Walking Dead bubble or just a comics in general bubble?

Seeing the newbs make JC apoplectic

Wrong term, more like "strangely confused and bewildered" as I view people willing to put $10,000 into a single Modern comic the same way I would seeing an blue alien emerging from a flying saucer.

As far as a bubble, the popularity of the zombie genre will keep The Walking Dead from suffering a similar fate as that of the Beanie Baby where there was just an absolute falling off of a cliff. (IE- a $5,000 beanie at one time now selling for $100 or less)

Yep, zombies are more popular than stuffed-animals and far less common.

Oh, SNAP!

I had three #1's in 9.8 condition and just sold one last week for $2,100. The comic is still selling strong and will most likely continue to stay strong for a long time. For the last two years I have heard numerous people claiming the comic will go way down in value. Thank god I never listened to them.

Who are these people, and are they in a mental hospital?

I'll say it one more time for clarity:

The TWD Bubble with burst when... get ready for it... when the TV show ratings and quality dip and it looks like it will be cancelled or not renewed for another season.

Until then, hold and wait for the apex if you want, but only fools would buy for investment.

The TWD Bubble with burst when... get ready for it... when the TV show ratings and quality dip and it looks like it will be cancelled or not renewed for another season.

Masterpiece or not, I have to agree with JC on that. At some point, we'll see a dip when the show goes away. Personally, I think Preacher is going to be the next Darling of AMC, and that will shift some of the attention away from the TWD series.

Yet the common retort is that we are stupid to invest $10k in a modern comic. We are, in fact, not doing that.

Well, somebody sure is.

I was going to say, "That may or may not be true. The 10k paid for a WD 1 CGC 9.9 may have been for an investment, but may have been for a personal collection as well."

But I checked GPA, and the WD 1 CGC 9.9 that sold for $10.1k on 11/14/12 sold for $15k on 11/4/13.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Walking-Dead-1-CGC-not-9-6-9-8-but-9-9-MINT-/251357811409

I agree that investing 10k in any modern is most likely fool hardy. It is hard to imagine a scenario in which that makes sense for future profit. It seems there would be much more downside risk that upside. However, that same sentence has been uttered over and over again about WD #1 and keeps being proved wrong.

I think the truth lies somewhere between the extremes. First, I think it's very harsh to call TWD a "flash in the pan". This is a comic book series that has lasted well over 100 issues and more than a decade, and is still at/near the top of its popularity. It has spawned a record-breaking TV show (as well as a successful wrap-up show and a spin-off to come), merchandise (books, toys, etc.), cosplay and even a nationwide obstacle course series. In the OA market, it's by far the most popular and widely collected series of the past 20-25 years. Its TPBs helped to accelerate the popularity of that format. Even if you think the franchise isn't particularly original, it's infiltrated popular culture and the public consciousness like no prior zombie franchise has, and certainly to a far greater extent than Sandman, Preacher, YTLM or any other Modern (re: flash in the pan) comic has - this is not a series that was hot in the geek community and ran for 5 years and then faded away. At this point, it's run long enough to have indelibly stamped its mark on this period of comics history - it's an important series, and the longer the comic and the TV show run, the more memorable and emblematic of the era they will remain, even after they are inevitably cancelled (not that we couldn't see spin-offs and reboots like we've seen for "Star Trek" and other franchises). hm

Would I invest in the comics? Hell, no. But, I wouldn't expect to see #1 9.8s fall 75% in value either (note: I don't own this issue). I don't see why it couldn't hold a $1K price tag at a minimum, even after the TV show fades away. It's not like a grand is even what it used to be, after all, especially not to the people who traffic in higher-end comic books. And, for a book that has had this much impact on the hobby and pop culture, that would seem downright cheap to me, even when the comic and TV show are no longer running. 2c

Yet the common retort is that we are stupid to invest $10k in a modern comic. We are, in fact, not doing that.

Well, somebody sure is.

I was going to say, "That may or may not be true. The 10k paid for a WD 1 CGC 9.9 may have been for an investment, but may have been for a personal collection as well."

But I checked GPA, and the WD 1 CGC 9.9 that sold for $10.1k on 11/14/12 sold for $15k on 11/4/13.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Walking-Dead-1-CGC-not-9-6-9-8-but-9-9-MINT-/251357811409

I agree that investing 10k in any modern is most likely fool hardy. It is hard to imagine a scenario in which that makes sense for future profit. It seems there would be much more downside risk that upside. However, that same sentence has been uttered over and over again about WD #1 and keeps being proved wrong.

I remember a few weeks ago there were two on eBay that were going for well under 10,000 - one was a Best Offer auction with a BIN at $7,500 I think and the other was something like $6850 at BIN. I think the $10,000 days should be over (until next fall, anyway, when the next season starts, it could resurge again).

Now if a 10.0 ever hits... :ohnoez:

Well, somebody sure is.

I remember a few weeks ago there were two on eBay that were going for well under 10,000 - one was a Best Offer auction with a BIN at $7,500 I think and the other was something like $6850 at BIN. I think the $10,000 days should be over (until next fall, anyway, when the next season starts, it could resurge again).

Or maybe when the rest of Season 4 starts again. hm A 10.0 :ohnoez::takeit:lol

Well, somebody sure is.

Or maybe when the rest of Season 4 starts again. hm A 10.0 :ohnoez::takeit:lol

:takeit: I agree…homes are overrated :roflmao:

I wonder what a 10.0 would fetch in the middle of the hype? If 9.9's brought in 10,000+…any speculations? hm

I think the truth lies somewhere between the extremes. First, I think it's very harsh to call TWD a "flash in the pan". This is a comic book series that has lasted well over 100 issues and more than a decade, and is still at/near the top of its popularity. It has spawned a record-breaking TV show (as well as a successful wrap-up show and a spin-off to come), merchandise (books, toys, etc.), cosplay and even a nationwide obstacle course series. In the OA market, it's by far the most popular and widely collected series of the past 20-25 years. Its TPBs helped to accelerate the popularity of that format. Even if you think the franchise isn't particularly original, it's infiltrated popular culture and the public consciousness like no prior zombie franchise has, and certainly to a far greater extent than Sandman, Preacher, YTLM or any other Modern (re: flash in the pan) comic has - this is not a series that was hot in the geek community and ran for 5 years and then faded away. At this point, it's run long enough to have indelibly stamped its mark on this period of comics history - it's an important series, and the longer the comic and the TV show run, the more memorable and emblematic of the era they will remain, even after they are inevitably cancelled (not that we couldn't see spin-offs and reboots like we've seen for "Star Trek" and other franchises). hm

Would I invest in the comics? Hell, no. But, I wouldn't expect to see #1 9.8s fall 75% in value either (note: I don't own this issue). I don't see why it couldn't hold a $1K price tag at a minimum, even after the TV show fades away. It's not like a grand is even what it used to be, after all, especially not to the people who traffic in higher-end comic books. And, for a book that has had this much impact on the hobby and pop culture, that would seem downright cheap to me, even when the comic and TV show are no longer running. 2c

Good post IM 2c HO

Good post IM 2c HO

+2