• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Walking Dead needs to sustain itself in the public conscious for the next 20-30 years, long after its flagship show is over. One spinoff has already tanked. TWD hasn't a chance in hell of maintaining prices if linked to "oh, that was a great zombie show a couple decades ago."

The comic should at least retain a cult following based on its strengths, but Star Wars it ain't and won't be.

Ummm....where are you getting this information from?

The comic itself is already going on 14 years old.

The spin-off did not "fail". As mentioned in my prior post, it was just renewed for a Season 3.

When the main show ends, get ready for more possible spinoffs, feature films, reboots, reunions, etc.

Star Wars has had exactly one good movie out of 7, and still seems to be doing fine as a franchise as well.

Walking Dead ain't going anywhere.

Get used to it.

-J.

Some ridiculous comments in here.

Not surprising, though, as its been like that since this thread was originally started back in 2012.

Even the Big 3 networks would kill to have the ratings this show gets, even in an "off year".

Show ain't going anywhere anytime soon. It's a franchised multi-media institution now. Get used to it.

Neither are the values on the key books that inspired the show (and its spinoff, which was also renewed for Season 3). (thumbs u

-J.

No need to get mean. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you need to come out swinging.

Walking Dead needs to sustain itself in the public conscious for the next 20-30 years, long after its flagship show is over. One spinoff has already tanked. TWD hasn't a chance in hell of maintaining prices if linked to "oh, that was a great zombie show a couple decades ago."

The comic should at least retain a cult following based on its strengths, but Star Wars it ain't and won't be.

The comic itself is already going on 15 years old.

The spin-off did not "fail". As mentioned in my prior post, it was just renewed for a Season 3.

When the main show ends, get ready for more possible spinoffs, feature films, reboots, reunions, etc.

Star Wars has had exactly one good movie out of 7, and still seems to be doing fine as a franchise as well.

Walking Dead ain't going anywhere.

Get used to it.

-J.

Walking Dead isn't Star Wars (I am also sure many will disagree with there only being one good movie out of seven). It isn't even Star Trek.

Walking Dead is a horror series about Zombies and because of that it will only appeal to a portion of the population. Not everyone wants to watch people be brutally murdered week after week (by both zombies and other humans) and the premise is a labor now at best.

However, most importantly, with respect you don't really provide much evidence to support your claims. You are drawing comparisons to a unrelated franchise as a reason to believe in WD... Ratings are drastically dropping, critics and fans alike have been negatively responding to everything except the appearance of Negan and the season premiere. While the nail is not in the coffin, it certainly is loosening.

I am sure Hollywood will continue to make WD product as long as people "buy it." However, that doesn't automatically mean everything you mention will be made. If anything the vast majority of it will not. There have been much more popular shows that appealed to a much broader audience that ended.

I accept the fact that you believe in the Walking Dead, but I humbly ask you to provide facts and information to support that the series is not declining. Or that the owners of key issues are not flippers and speculators. Evidence of confidence in the series or details to support expansion of the franchise.

My thoughts: all things end, get used to it. Please.

Walking Dead isn't Star Wars (I am also sure many will disagree with there only being one good movie out of seven). It isn't even Star Trek.

Walking Dead is a horror series about Zombies and because of that it will only appeal to a portion of the population. Not everyone wants to watch people be brutally murdered week after week (by both zombies and other humans) and the premise is a labor now at best.

---

Hate to break the news to you, but Space Operas/Westerns only appeal to a portion of the population as well. Star Trek was so popular it got cancelled after 5 or whatever seasons and other than a bad cartoon, took 10 years to resurface. Now it has worked itself into popular culture.

I agree, WD may be a bit more of a niche. But if the comic hangs around and is at issue 300 or 400, even if it is off TV, then who the heck knows.

The comic itself is already going on 14 years old.

To the extent Fear had ratings problems, it started off OK, but I think it just wasn't all that interesting..floating around in the boat, the irritating characters...we didn't stop watching it because we lost interest in the subject matter, I just didn't give a sh*t about any of the characters. It seems that the new season will have new characters and a new plot line, so we're going to check that out again.

Was that really necessary? Didn't you just get back from an extended vacation?

My personal opinion: it isn't productive to receive multiple strikes for "name calling, aggressive posting and offensive language" only to return and mock people (whomever you are speaking to). It appears you are heading down the same path and I hope you use the recent moderation you received as an opportunity to change.

However; as always, you are free to post how you want and anywhere you want on this forum. Only moderation can bring final judgement upon you.

Ok?

Edit : I have to add, for some, the irony isn't apparent.

Edited by MetalPSI

---

Hate to break the news to you, but Space Operas/Westerns only appeal to a portion of the population as well. Star Trek was so popular it got cancelled after 5 or whatever seasons and other than a bad cartoon, took 10 years to resurface. Now it has worked itself into popular culture.

I agree, WD may be a bit more of a niche. But if the comic hangs around and is at issue 300 or 400, even if it is off TV, then who the heck knows.

I don't disagree, in fact you conveying my point with Star Trek very well. I don't think I was clear enough with my post, but what you say is true.

I am not sure about the comic book if it reaches 300 or 400 (or more issues). Long-term, the only comics that have bridged every era and generation, have been widely appealing genres (superheroes being the easiest example). Some have come in and out of favor (horror is one), but not many have been consistently popular (looking at you "Romance and War Books").

Maybe a popular modern comic with 15-20 years can sustain $3,000+ prices but the boom of the comic and the start of the hype of the show are too coincidental. My money is on an eventual bust and if you want a copy as a fan of the series, I would wait a few years for a substantial discount.

FYI - Some friendly advice: I got a warning for posting ironic multiple memes. I am sure the same is true of video links aimed at mocking or even insulting others.

You are going to tell me, that this is insulting, to you? What are you getting at? It's off topic, yes.

I apologize to those that to whom being off topic is disrupting.

Sounds to me, just my opinion, you've got some issues to work out. I don't have you on ignore, so feel free to PM me anytime.

FYI - Some friendly advice: I got a warning for posting ironic multiple memes. I am sure the same is true of video links aimed at mocking or even insulting others.

You are going to tell me, that this is insulting, to you? What are you getting at? It's off topic, yes.

I apologize to those that to whom being off topic is disrupting.

Sounds to me, just my opinion, you've got some issues to work out. I don't have you on ignore, so feel free to PM me anytime.

You are 100% right, I do not know the intent behind this message. Honestly I didn't take it personally, I assumed it was about something specific and its purpose was to mock or insult. That isn't fair, I shouldn't assume and I am sorry.

I don't know if I have any issues to work out, but I will PM you.

---

I don't disagree, in fact you conveying my point with Star Trek very well. I don't think I was clear enough with my post, but what you say is true.

I am not sure about the comic book if it reaches 300 or 400 (or more issues). Long-term, the only comics that have bridged every era and generation, have been widely appealing genres (superheroes being the easiest example). Some have come in and out of favor (horror is one), but not many have been consistently popular (looking at you "Romance and War Books").

Maybe a popular modern comic with 15-20 years can sustain $3,000+ prices but the boom of the comic and the start of the hype of the show are too coincidental. My money is on an eventual bust and if you want a copy as a fan of the series, I would wait a few years for a substantial discount.

Well, if we are entering a high inflationary period then it may very well stay at $3,000 while a loaf of bread costs $25.

As for 30 years from now...I'll probably be dead if I don't get my weight under control...that's a long ways off. WHo the F is buying comics with a 30 year horizon? We might be living in space colonies by then, although a zombie virus wiping out 95% of the population is more likely.

Did you notice Negan's stack of golden age and silver age keys in the background in his room?

"Some have come in and out of favor (horror is one), but not many have been consistently popular (looking at you "Romance and War Books")"

SGt. Rock got into the 400s. I know he didn't start the title, but I think it was a war book before then.

Conan made it 275 before they rebooted. The should have just let it go to 300!

I think the super hero stuff has been able to last longer because these are intricate universes and you're not depending on a few characters.

---

Well, if we are entering a high inflationary period then it may very well stay at $3,000 while a loaf of bread costs $25.

As for 30 years from now...I'll probably be dead if I don't get my weight under control...that's a long ways off. WHo the F is buying comics with a 30 year horizon? We might be living in space colonies by then, although a zombie virus wiping out 95% of the population is more likely.

Did you notice Negan's stack of golden age and silver age keys in the background in his room?

lol

I am not buying for a long horizon either and I can definitely relate to health stuff. I am actually auctioning of the last of my major keys right now on ComicLink.

Are you serious about the comics in Negan's room? I haven't seen that, but if true it is hilarious. Word on the street is that a zombie apocalypse with sky rocket the value of Walking Dead as it is a manual for survival! !

"Some have come in and out of favor (horror is one), but not many have been consistently popular (looking at you "Romance and War Books")"

SGt. Rock got into the 400s. I know he didn't start the title, but I think it was a war book before then.

Conan made it 275 before they rebooted. The should have just let it go to 300!

I think the super hero stuff has been able to last longer because these are intricate universes and you're not depending on a few characters.

It is a fair point, some characters have lasted quite a while.

It is a novel comic with compelling stories, but I think the TV form has gotten monotonous. This is just my opinion, nothing more or less.

Comic readers are still pretty faithful to the comic, but it appears to be floundering as a TV show...

------

Based on what? 14.3 million viewers (which doesn't include people watching the show through like 15 million other venues)? Ratings are down to where they were when they show was still huge a couple of years ago. They are trying to assimilate a bunch of new characters and communities. I think people don't like Darryl not having a real role right now. 3 million asian american viewers might have tuned out after glenn was killed. they need to bring in a hot asian actor to take his place. abraham was a role model to the ginger community, so that might be like a million viewers there.

Comic readers are still pretty faithful to the comic, but it appears to be floundering as a TV show...

------

Based on what? 14.3 million viewers (which doesn't include people watching the show through like 15 million other venues)? Ratings are down to where they were when they show was still huge a couple of years ago. They are trying to assimilate a bunch of new characters and communities. I think people don't like Darryl not having a real role right now. 3 million asian american viewers might have tuned out after glenn was killed. they need to bring in a hot asian actor to take his place. abraham was a role model to the ginger community, so that might be like a million viewers there.

Forbes

I get it from articles like the one above, there are a ton of them right now.

Personally, I don't think we should make assumptions on viewers based on race or hair color,it leads down to an illogical or offensive place.

I admit an attractive actor can bring viewers but I don't think that is what the show is missing. I could be wrong.

Here are some states from the last 3 years.

Live +3 viewership for season 5 6 and 7

Ep 1-5 Millions of viewers

01 22.3 19.5 20.79

02 20.1 17.1 16.85

03 19.1 18.3 16.2

04 19.2 18.4 15.7

05 18.6 17.1 15.3

Live night numbers here

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/timeline/869720b372f3dde27e72c93d26654fbb.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_(TV_series)

GPA sales

Walking Dead 1 CGC 9.8

2014 $1,982

2015 $2,075

12 month Avg $2,725

90 day $3,155

Last sale $3,040

Walking Dead 2 CGC 9.8

2014 $923

2015 $1,028

12 month $1,247

90 day $1,318

Last sale $1,400

I guess we'll see what happens. hm

If I get more time, I'll add some monthly print totals.

Edited by Rip

Even the Big 3 networks would kill to have the ratings this show gets, even in an "off year".

-J.

No they wouldn't....Big 3 networks ratings leaders for middle season episodes are running double the numbers TWD is for live viewership.

Stop. Please.

lol

---

Hate to break the news to you, but Space Operas/Westerns only appeal to a portion of the population as well. .

Yes....the portion of the population that consists of everyone except for my wife. lol