• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

it reached its peek when TV quality was low. I and GoT raised the bar, add in Netflix Originals, and everyone and their mother making high quality original content, there is just a lot more options available now then before.

So people invested years in a show and suddenly stopped watching it for new shows? With DVR and whatnot you can watch whatever you want... Netflix in particular. I appreciate the response but I disagree.

It doesn't follow that people aren't watching it anymore because of competition. People stop watching something because it declines in quality, isn't innovative or the genre is no longer appealing (or whatever their reason is).

Show jumped the shark last season.

2zo9enp.gif

I'm several weeks behind. I used to get so excited and tune in every week. Then last season started to feel - meh and this season feels the same way. I catch up when I can, but I don't feel an excitement the way I used to...

Many fans and critics generally consider director Frank Darabont, who developed Robert Kirkman’s horror comic for television, as the old gold standard. His early episodes were as languidly paced as a rotting walker who fell off her bicycle. The general consensus is that the show, under his supervision, felt more cinematic (Darabont did, after all, give us “The Shawshank Redemption”), and it certainly was. But for my money, Glen Mazzara’s takeover in the middle of Season Two was the start of something beautiful. After episodes of meandering around the farm, there was a clear difference once we found Rick staring past his smoking gun at a dead Sophia.

This early seasons really were so much better. I own Season One on Blu Ray, but won't own any other seasons in the future. And the episode where they discover Sophia in the barn = :o:cry:

The only episode that is comparable (for me) is the "Look at the flowers, Lizzie" episode. Other than that it's been alright. I didn't even really think of who was running the show, but after reading the article... hm

Show jumped the shark last season.

2zo9enp.gif

I'm several weeks behind. I used to get so excited and tune in every week. Then last season started to feel - meh and this season feels the same way. I catch up when I can, but I don't feel an excitement the way I used to...

Many fans and critics generally consider director Frank Darabont, who developed Robert Kirkman’s horror comic for television, as the old gold standard. His early episodes were as languidly paced as a rotting walker who fell off her bicycle. The general consensus is that the show, under his supervision, felt more cinematic (Darabont did, after all, give us “The Shawshank Redemption”), and it certainly was. But for my money, Glen Mazzara’s takeover in the middle of Season Two was the start of something beautiful. After episodes of meandering around the farm, there was a clear difference once we found Rick staring past his smoking gun at a dead Sophia.

This early seasons really were so much better. I own Season One on Blu Ray, but won't own any other seasons in the future. And the episode where they discover Sophia in the barn = :o:cry:

The only episode that is comparable (for me) is the "Look at the flowers, Lizzie" episode. Other than that it's been alright. I didn't even really think of who was running the show, but after reading the article... hm

I hear this from people a lot.

Comic readers are still pretty faithful to the comic, but it appears to be floundering as a TV show...

I was still on my long break from comics when TWD TV Show came out. When I started watching, I didn't even know it was based on a comic. I just knew it was about he zombie apocalypse and, well, I loved zombies so - :popcorn: I remember it debuted on Halloween night and it was awesome.

I loved it.

Then I got back into collecting comics and after awhile, I tried reading the comics. And I liked the first issue and Tony Moore's art really appealed to me. Then I couldn't get past Adlard's art. I just didn't like it. :sorry: Some time went by and I picked up the Compendium I had previously quit on and kept reading. Then I slowly began to appreciate it. Soon, my enjoyment of the comic > the TV Show.

Now, I feel like the TV show is trying to be the comic and it doesn't feel the same. It's a weird feeling because, as I said, I love the comic now. But the show has gotten really meh the last few years.

Those first couple of seasons though... :cloud9:

It's not as good as it once was, but even some of the greatest shows aren't by this season, if they ever made it that far to begin with. Yes, yes, I know....Breaking Bad. I totally understand why some may not enjoy it but I still look forward to it every week. I try to ignore the things that make it silly because I know I am really going to miss it when it's gone!

It's not as good as it once was, but even some of the greatest shows aren't by this season, if they ever made it that far to begin with. Yes, yes, I know....Breaking Bad. I totally understand why some may not enjoy it but I still look forward to it every week. I try to ignore the things that make it silly because I know I am really going to miss it when it's gone!

Well said

Anecdotally I quit watching the show a couple years ago, but my wife still faithfully watches. There are several people at her work that talk about it, so we have to watch Shameless on demand. There are also several friends that still love it religiously. I wonder if those that have access to the comics perceive a fall off whereas those that don't read them think it's still great?

I stopped watching after season 2, the Sophia barn reveal was the last big thing I remember. I found the show to be 99% forgettable with 1% action. When you can watch the 90 second season recap at the beginning of a finale, and think "wow, that 90 seconds really did capture everything important from this entire past season", it was time to let it go. I haven't missed it.

I quit watching sometime during season 5... The show became extremely predictable, monotonous and sometimes dismally slow. I know there have been moments where the plot energizes itself but at the end of the day we most likely know the outcome. Either humanity survives or it doesn't and a lot of people will die on the way. No matter what happens between now and the end, its probably not going to be very interesting. I think the bubble is probably bursting as we speak. Ironically, even the most ardent fans (and I know many) have no idea it's based on a comic.

Edited by comicquant

it reached its peek when TV quality was low. I and GoT raised the bar, add in Netflix Originals, and everyone and their mother making high quality original content, there is just a lot more options available now then before.

So people invested years in a show and suddenly stopped watching it for new shows? With DVR and whatnot you can watch whatever you want... Netflix in particular. I appreciate the response but I disagree.

It doesn't follow that people aren't watching it anymore because of competition. People stop watching something because it declines in quality, isn't innovative or the genre is no longer appealing (or whatever their reason is).

if you take any TV show, and divide up the viewership by how dedicated they are to the show, there will always be, just like an election, SWING VIEWERS :)

A decline in the quality of the show, would only add to other shows ability to peel off viewers. Not everyone has unlimited time for TV/movies, and it truly is a competition for viewers.

if you take any TV show, and divide up the viewership by how dedicated they are to the show, there will always be, just like an election, SWING VIEWERS :)

A decline in the quality of the show, would only add to other shows ability to peel off viewers. Not everyone has unlimited time for TV/movies, and it truly is a competition for viewers.

I understand the point, but I still disagree (albeit slightly).

People stop watching a show because they no longer find it appealing and then compare it to other time filling activities.

As you put it, there are always "swing viewers;' however, the lowest ratings in multiple seasons indicate a decline in fan base. Those people stopped watching the show because of something to do with it, not because of another show or activity. Sure they fill their time with something else, but that is human nature. It all starts with they watching Walking Dead and thinking - "this is disappointing, I could do something else with my time" (or something to that effect). A lot of things can fill that time, but it starts with a doubt in their mind that the time is being filled to satisfaction.

Regardless, this is not good for the TV show and by relation the bubble it has created on the value of the comics (particularly #1). As I have said before, the TV show didn't create huge readership that are now proud owners of key issues. It pushed speculators into buying it as an "investment" that will drop it like its hot when it starts to decline.

Some ridiculous comments in here.

Not surprising, though, as its been like that since this thread was originally started back in 2012.

Even the Big 3 networks would kill to have the ratings this show gets, even in an "off year".

Show ain't going anywhere anytime soon. It's a franchised multi-media institution now. Get used to it.

Neither are the values on the key books that inspired the show (and its spinoff, which was also renewed for Season 3). (thumbs u

-J.

Some ridiculous comments in here.

Not surprising, though, as its been like that since this thread was originally started back in 2012.

Even the Big 3 networks would kill to have the ratings this show gets, even in an "off year".

Show ain't going anywhere anytime soon. It's a franchised multi-media institution now. Get used to it.

Neither are the values on the key books that inspired the show (and its spinoff, which was also renewed for Season 3). (thumbs u

-J.

It will go on (at least 1 more season renewed) but that doesn't mean it's a good show. Ratings are falling with good reason, nothing lasts forever except The Simpsons.

Does anybody like Negan? He's supposedly charismatic but is one-dimensional and not even remotely funny. NOBODY in his crew seems to like him, he walks around like he's bullet-proof, it's ridiculous that someone close to him didn't put a bullet in his head yet (hellooo Carl).

Walking Dead needs to sustain itself in the public conscious for the next 20-30 years, long after its flagship show is over. One spinoff has already tanked. TWD hasn't a chance in hell of maintaining prices if linked to "oh, that was a great zombie show a couple decades ago."

The comic should at least retain a cult following based on its strengths, but Star Wars it ain't and won't be.