• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Personally, I don't think we should make assumptions on viewers based on race or hair color,it leads down to an illogical or offensive place.

---

Oh criminey, I was joking, but only sort of...

Many of my asian american friends were very unhappy and I read a fair amount of vitriol about it on the interwebs. And I get it, there are only a few asian stars on TV, he was a really good character... really sucks to have him brained. It's not like he gets to appear as a ghost or anything. Whether that actually translated into anyone tuning out I have no idea.

As for Abraham...jeez louise

I was under the impression that it is common knowledge that the demo "rating" is the only one that matters.

And don't be disingenuous, you know that there aren't different ratings barometers for the demo or otherwise for basic cable and network television.

Fact remains, even in a "down year" WD is still one of the highest rated shows on TV, and indeed, ANY network would kill for those kind of ratings (pun intended ).

-J.

I'm not being disingenuous. "GREAT" on basic cable is different from "GREAT on pay cable and it's really different from "GREAT" on network TV.

The Walking Dead's ratings absolutely DESTROY Game of Thrones, but they are apples and oranges for analysis sake.

TWD has lost 40% viewership from between Season 5's average and last night.

Bailing out the water with happy thoughts doesn't stop it from coming in. It's just a fact. They've never missed Glen Mazzara more than they do right now. Gimple's fools gold is tarnishing quickly. They're ruining what was my favorite show on TV.

I understand, but when you were posting the older stats I HAD to chime in.

Still here is a closer rating of live numbers

2015 had 2nd half of season 5 and first half of season 6

These would have been the live ratings (Millions)

2015 p2 15.64 12.27 13.44 14.43 14.53 13.78 13.76 15.78

2016 14.63 12.18 13.14 13.34 12.44 12.87 13.22 13.98

So here are season 7's so far

2016 17.03 12.46 11.72 11.40 11.00 10.40

Not as bad as they seem Factoring live plus 3 the numbers get a bit closer.

Although still dropping especially the last 3.

2014 2015 2016

Epi 01 22.3 19.5 20.79

02 20.1 17.1 16.85

03 19.1 18.3 16.2

04 19.2 18.4 15.7

05 18.6 17.1 15.3

Edited by Rip

These would have been the live ratings

2014 2015 2016

Epi 01 22.3 19.5 20.79

02 20.1 17.1 16.85

03 19.1 18.3 16.2

04 19.2 18.4 15.7

05 18.6 17.1 15.3

That's why I stuck to live vs live. It's still the standard that gets us to a broadcast vs cable comparison that makes the most sense.

Live vs live it's 40% drop from season 5 average to last night.

There's still time to fire Gimple (shelve the rest of his episodes and air re-runs of Wonder Woman)....throw whatever you have to at Mazzara to bring him back...have Kirkman himself take over. Anything.

What ratings are we looking at? Live ratings or live + watching it on DVR and/or streaming on some other venue?

I have NEVER watched WD live. Invariably I watch it on DVR later that night.

My guess is that WD fans disproportionately also watch the show on their ipads or whatever. More so than a show that appeals to a more geriatric and/or less tech-savy demographic.

I really have to wonder if the ratings accurately pick up a show like this. Nielson has been highly criticized because a few Nielson people in Kansas can mess everything up. Have they fixed that?

Of course, that relates more to how it stacks up vs. other shows, not why the viewership, as measured, is lower this year.

Star Wars has had exactly one good movie out of 7, and still seems to be doing fine as a franchise as well.

Stop. Please.

lol

I kinda agree with him. :sorry:

Star Wars did have only one good movie. It was "Return of the Jedi."

But, it did have three great movies (Episodes IV,V & VII,) two so-so ones and one turkey.

My point exactly. The three "great ones" all told the identical story. lol

-J.

Walking Dead doesn't? Walk, kill a zombie, hide, repeat. Walk, kill a zombie, hide from the scary humans, wring hands, repeat.

I was thinking about how many more violent antagonists are they going to encounter myself. zzz

No kidding... In 7 years they still live

in the stone age after this catastrophe.

Even though they are industrialized and modern they can't

get beyond acting likes apes.

1diots could have mobilized better than this after 7 years.

The show is beyond stale and doesn't do the comic any favors.

On another note, I hear the Gold Key Star Trek comic is flying off the

shelves because it's the 50th anniversary of the T.V series. zzz

It's not 7 years in story. Its like 18-24 months.

Carl grew 3 feet in 18 months? Plus the 2 year old baby with 9 month pregnancy added in.

It's more like 5 years

Why does everyone worry about bubbles bursting? Just enjoy the show while we have it.

Seems a shame that people want to downplay such a great show.

Comic collectors are an odd bunch. When they don't have comic book shows they complain , when they do they complain.

(shrug)

2014 2015 2016

Epi 01 22.3 19.5 20.79

02 20.1 17.1 16.85

03 19.1 18.3 16.2

04 19.2 18.4 15.7

05 18.6 17.1 15.3

That's why I stuck to live vs live. It's still the standard that gets us to a broadcast vs cable comparison that makes the most sense.

There's still time to fire Gimple (shelve the rest of his episodes and air re-runs of Wonder Woman)....throw whatever you have to at Mazzara to bring him back...have Kirkman himself take over. Anything.

I don't disagree with everything you wrote, and you raise some good points in many of your posts on WD. I'm not a fan of the filler episodes either. Gimple certainlly needs some help at times.

But TV viewing habits have changed over the years with less watching live TV in general, especially cable TV shows. The Live +3 and Live+7 plus social media postings are becoing a bigger determination of viewership and revenue. Cable has the advantage (or disadvange) of a larger delayed viewership, depending on how you want to score it.

Like the WW reference, I knew one of the set designers that worked on the show. He had some great L.Carter Stories

Edited by Rip

Why does everyone worry about bubbles bursting? Just enjoy the show while we have it.

Comic collectors are an odd bunch. When they don't have comic book shows they complain , when they do they complain.

(shrug)

When they have a comic show that's good....they don't complain.

Star Wars has had exactly one good movie out of 7, and still seems to be doing fine as a franchise as well.

Stop. Please.

lol

But, it did have three great movies (Episodes IV,V & VII,) two so-so ones and one turkey.

-J.

Walking Dead doesn't? Walk, kill a zombie, hide, repeat. Walk, kill a zombie, hide from the scary humans, wring hands, repeat.

I was thinking about how many more violent antagonists are they going to encounter myself. zzz

Carl grew 3 feet in 18 months? Plus the 2 year old baby with 9 month pregnancy added in.

It's more like 5 years

You expect real life to slow down for the show?

That's the problem with casting kids in roles. They grow, regardless of the pace of the show.

2014 2015 2016

Epi 01 22.3 19.5 20.79

02 20.1 17.1 16.85

03 19.1 18.3 16.2

04 19.2 18.4 15.7

05 18.6 17.1 15.3

I don't disagree with everything you wrote, and you raise some good points in many of your posts on WD. I'm not a fan of the filler episodes either. Gimple certainlly needs some help at times.

But TV viewing habits have changed over the years with less watching live TV in general, especially cable TV shows. The Live +3 and Live+7 plus social media postings are becoing a bigger determination of viewership and revenue. Cable has the advantage/or disadvange of a larger delayed viewership. Depaending on how you want to score it.

Like the WW reference, I knew one of the set designers that worked on the show. He had some great L.Carter Stories

She's on my bucket list of people I have to meet before I meet my maker.

-J.

hm

I'm trying to guess which one has earned your favor.

I dunno. He posted that episodes IV, V and VII all have the same plot so there's a chance he hasn't actually seen them all. lol

(shrug)

+1

Couldn't agree more. That's why I'm being mildly snarky with my comments. :shy:

-J.

Hate to break the news to you, but Space Operas/Westerns only appeal to a portion of the population as well. Star Trek was so popular it got cancelled after 5 or whatever seasons and other than a bad cartoon, took 10 years to resurface. Now it has worked itself into popular culture.

I agree, WD may be a bit more of a niche. But if the comic hangs around and is at issue 300 or 400, even if it is off TV, then who the heck knows.

Actually the original ST series was on for only three seasons. NBC apparently intended to cancel it after the second season, but bowed to a massive letter writing campaign from fans. The third season is usually considered to be inferior to the first two because, although NBC authorized a third season, they drastically cut the production budget.

Carry on!

Hate to break the news to you, but Space Operas/Westerns only appeal to a portion of the population as well. Star Trek was so popular it got cancelled after 5 or whatever seasons and other than a bad cartoon, took 10 years to resurface. Now it has worked itself into popular culture.

I agree, WD may be a bit more of a niche. But if the comic hangs around and is at issue 300 or 400, even if it is off TV, then who the heck knows.

Actually the original ST series was on for only three seasons. NBC apparently intended to cancel it after the second season, but bowed to a massive letter writing campaign from fans. The third season is usually considered to be inferior to the first two because, although NBC authorized a third season, they drastically cut the production budget.

Carry on!

Is Westworld a Western? Sort of like Firefly / Serenity I guess.

http://www.businessinsider.com/westworld-season-one-finale-ratings-records-for-hbo-2016-12

Stop. Please.

lol

-J.

It's more like 5 years

It is not 5 years, the Walking Dead Wiki has the last episode as Day 632 into the outbreak Someone has done a lot of work to get this number. Chandler's aging is a huge issue. And that kid sitting on Negan's lap is not 2 years old. 18 months tops. Carl has had massive accelerated aging. The baby a little bit accelerated.

Edited by ridersrohan

(shrug)

+1

Couldn't agree more. That's why I'm being mildly snarky with my comments. :shy:

-J.

Please help me. Why is it okay to have multiple threads pumping books all over the board (modern variants, dozens of fan clubs in Gold-Silver-Bronze-Copper-Modern, membership clubs and many many other examples), but not okay to have a thread questioning the value of a certain book?

Both sides of the coin have a place in comic education: the fan and the dissenting opinion. When you are talking about books over $1,000 I don't think it is unreasonable to ask: "why is the value where it is," "where is it potentially going" and "should I buy?"

It doesn't have to be construed as negative, not everyone is a fan. If all we do is "pump" books in every thread, how will we ever get an honest opinion? What a boring place that would be...