• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The BIGGEST problems in the hobby right now

474 posts in this topic

If we are to seriously analyze the current state of economic increase within the comic book industry, we must first all understand what happened to killer, you gotta understand who killer the dog was. Now killer was born to a three-legged bichh of a mother. He was always ashamed of this, man. And then right after that he's adopted by this man, Tito Liebowitz he's a small time gun runner and a rotweiler fight promoter. So he puts killer into training. They see killer's good. He is damn good. But then he had the fight of his life. They pit him against his brother nibbles. And killer said "no man that's my brother, I can't fight nibbles" but they made him fight anyway, and killer, he killed nibbles. Killer said "that's it!" he called off all his fights, and he started doing crack, and he freaked out. Then in a rage, he collapsed, and his heart no longer beats.... 2c

Half-Baked anyone?

I agree that its a bad idea to ditch the color coding. Newbies will get raked.over the coals by.the snakes of the hobby, and we will be shutting the door on the next generation of collectors.

It looks like everybody here is remembering only half of the story!

The replacement of the dual colour label system with the uni-colour label system was to be implemented in conjunction with a formal 10-point restoration rating system. As a result, all books would have just the one colour label, but would have a condition grade based upon the current 10-point grading system PLUS a restoration rating based upon a formal 10-point restoration rating system. This system would provide a level playing field for all books without CGC feeling the need to stigmitize a particular group of books. Potential purchasers would be able to make a fully informed purchasing decision based upon both the condition grade and the restoration rating given by CGC without fear of stigmitization upon subsequent resale of the book.

Needless to say, this proposal created such an uproar in the CGC community that the plan was quickly quashed and has never seen the light of day again. The main argument was that nobody would be able to understand a 10-point rating system as it would be far too complicated in comparison to a grade school equivalent colour flash card system. It was argued that this 10-point restoration rating system would result in a marketplace rife with deception as scammers would then be able to foist restored books onto an unsuspecting public as unrestored books. :screwy:

Come to think of it, maybe they are right! I guess we should ask CGC to do away with their current 10-point condition grading system as it is far too complicated and confusing, and is just rife for deception as scammers will be able to foist low grade books to an unsuspecting public as high grade books. Let's just come up with a dual-colour label system whereby all books in NM or above are given a blue label while anything below NM is given a purple label. This is a sure fire way to ensure that newbies don't get raked over the coals by the snakes in our hobby, restore confidence and integrity in the marketplace, and encourage new collectors or investors to join our hobby. hm:screwy:

I agree that its a bad idea to ditch the color coding. Newbies will get raked.over the coals by.the snakes of the hobby, and we will be shutting the door on the next generation of collectors.

The replacement of the dual colour label system with the uni-colour label system was to be implemented in conjunction with a formal 10-point restoration rating system. As a result, all books would have just the one colour label, but would have a condition grade based upon the current 10-point grading system PLUS a restoration rating based upon a formal 10-point restoration rating system. This system would provide a level playing field for all books without CGC feeling the need to stigmitize a particular group of books. Potential purchasers would be able to make a fully informed purchasing decision based upon both the condition grade and the restoration rating given by CGC without fear of stigmitization upon subsequent resale of the book.

Needless to say, this proposal created such an uproar in the CGC community that the plan was quickly quashed and has never seen the light of day again. The main argument was that nobody would be able to understand a 10-point rating system as it would be far too complicated in comparison to a grade school equivalent colour flash card system. It was argued that this 10-point restoration rating system would result in a marketplace rife with deception as scammers would then be able to foist restored books onto an unsuspecting public as unrestored books. :screwy:

Come to think of it, maybe they are right! I guess we should ask CGC to do away with their current 10-point condition grading system as it is far too complicated and confusing, and is just rife for deception as scammers will be able to foist low grade books to an unsuspecting public as high grade books. Let's just come up with a dual-colour label system whereby all books in NM or above are given a blue label while anything below NM is given a purple label. This is a sure fire way to ensure that newbies don't get raked over the coals by the snakes in our hobby, restore confidence and integrity in the marketplace, and encourage new collectors or investors to join our hobby. hm:screwy:

I'm guessing you don't like my idea. lol

You can suggest your own "problems", but there is one area which I don't ever hear anyone dispute. And in my opinion, it is the biggest problem right now.

It is tape.

While all this talk of tape is worthwhile, I do not think CGC will ever change their stance.

They might tighten the current loophole by not upgrading as much for specific taped flaws, making people less likely to tape up spine splits or detached covers because the reward will not be there.

Similar to the inception of the Purple label. I doubt CGC's initial intent was to give restored books a death knell by separating them from the herd with a different color label, but rather label it differently so sellers could not easily sugar coat what was done to the book.

Peoples dislike of restored books was more about what was done to the book, not what color label it was in. Sellers disliked this, for other reasons.

CGC's big mistake regarding taped books, was to not label them(any taped book) as Amateur resto from the get go. Be it a kid who taped up their books 40 years ago, or a person who taped a spine split to get better grade while still landing a Blue label.

Tape, is tape... it repairs a flaw. It is resto, Purple label all day, let the market decide what they will.

Why not? If they're gonna live another 100 years, must they be tied to a decision made decades before that they realize (hindsight or whatever) was incorrect?

I'm just wondering if the best way to deal with tape moving forward is through a rejection or refusal to grade policy? They should just treat these books like they do xeroxed or mimeographed comics. And as far as making changes, it won't be the first time CGC changed their policy on refusing books, as they don't accept ash cans any longer. No special treatment, no need for a label, just return it to the submitter and tell them they can't be graded.

I'm just wondering if the best way to deal with tape moving forward is through a rejection or refusal to grade policy? They should just treat these books like they do xeroxed or mimeographed comics. And as far as making changes, it won't be the first time CGC changed their policy on refusing books, as they don't accept ash cans any longer. No special treatment, no need for a label, just return it to the submitter and tell them they can't be graded.

That seems a bit extreme. Why wouldn't it just get an apparent grade like color touch? I mean, there's a lot of comics with tape on them that was put there long ago, well before the advent of CGC and their weird tape loophole...

Just go with blue for good tape and we're done with this. I say go for the simplest, most direct fix.

Even though everyone agrees that tape is bad nobody can universally agree on how to deal with the tape issue.

These are the different opinions -

Keep it in a blue label but down grade tape heavily?

Keep it in a blue label but upgrade archival tape greatly to encourage it's use over tape?

Put tape in a purple label?

Have I missed anything?

Note the tape on the blue label and do not give the book a grade increase. Grade it as if the tape were not applied.

Simple solution.... don't buy books with tape on it.
If we are to use the Tape issue as a vehicle for discussion, this thread basically argues that whilst a traumatic complex of altering a comic may bring about dissociation of the psyche, this is not the only possibility, nor is dissociation necessarily to be seen solely as a difficulty to be overcome. If trauma is experienced within the context of the validity of tape supportting the comics (in whichever form) to be whole, the experience of the traumatic "I didn't kjnow it had tape," may generate integration not only of the trauma but also of the growth potential that the trauma has previously inhibited.

True dat' bro ;)

I'm agreeing with you ( :o ) imagine that!

I didn't bring up the 10 point restoration rating system because I forgot about it but I do remember that it was part and parcel with the uni-colour label system.

I believe that any logical system can be implemented and people will adapt. Some systems are more logical than others.

When comics were all Good-Fine-Mint a 25 step CGC scale would have sounded like science fiction. Slowly, the hobby (just like society) adapts to more complex technology and systems and much like we went from a G-F-M system to a 25 step grading scale, people would adapt to whatever logical system would cover most, if not all of the bases.

Nobody likes change but change for the better is not going to stop.

Not saying CGC is going to change their system but eventually, just like we went from a G-F-M to a 25 point system, someone will try to make a better mouse trap. It's the way things work.

Everybody likes change except for old farts. :preach:

No, I actually don't like change.

I'm NOT an old fart!

(tsk)

Everybody likes change except for old farts. :preach:

No, I actually don't like change.

I'm NOT an old fart!

(tsk)

You're a whisp away from the highlight of your day being your nurse changing your diaper. :whee:

OldFart.jpg

Lou puts on her nurse costume and changes my diaper regularly.

:blush:

I also enjoy those scenarios, and it's easier to visualize them realistically ever since I actually started dating a nurse. :cloud9:

I also enjoy those scenarios, and it's easier to visualize them realistically ever since I actually started dating a nurse. :cloud9:

I think the biggest problem in the hobby is that boys don't get enough noogy!

Can we NOT use archival tape on your diapers?

Can we NOT use archival tape on your diapers?

He takes pleasure in the pain of removing tape.

Just go with blue for good tape and we're done with this. I say go for the simplest, most direct fix.

Even though everyone agrees that tape is bad nobody can universally agree on how to deal with the tape issue.

These are the different opinions -

Keep it in a blue label but down grade tape heavily?

Keep it in a blue label but upgrade archival tape greatly to encourage it's use over tape?

Put tape in a purple label?

Have I missed anything?

Note the tape on the blue label and do not give the book a grade increase. Grade it as if the tape were not applied.

This IS the answer, as is Bedrock's answer. But the label chasers are what they are. (thumbs u