• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boy Comics
3 3

278 posts in this topic

That's also a very early atomic bomb cover. I believe the On Sale date was some time in October, 1945.

The story inside is about as brutal as the cover suggests. There's a panel where a cop gets shot in the face.

Issue 25 is the Dec 1945 issue. If it came out 2 months earlier then it would be October. Issue 26 has a 12/10 arrival date on the front and my issue says read 12/13 so I think you are off by a month or two.

Nuclear attacks started August 6, 1945 and 4 months would be ample time to draw and publish a new cover with an atomic bomb theme.

I think you are right there. I was going from memory, but Mike's Newsstand lists the on sale date as December 5.

I'm sure I used to have copies of both 26 and 27 with date stamps on the cover, but I upgraded before I started tracking arrival dates and no longer have them unfortunately.

Either way, it's still an early atomic bomb cover.

Edited by Crimebuster

I'm very excited today, as gino2paulus2 was generous enough to part with one of my grail books. It arrived in my greedy hands just now.

This leaves me just two issues short of a complete run of Boy Comics, as I now have #5-119.

Hurray!

Thanks again, gino!

20151030_162623_resized.jpg

I'm very excited today, as gino2paulus2 was generous enough to part with one of my grail books. It arrived in my greedy hands just now.

This leaves me just two issues short of a complete run of Boy Comics, as I now have #5-119.

Hurray!

Thanks again, gino!

Great cover! Congrats

Taking advantage of this bump – a quick question.

Does anyone know how many pages are supposed to be in Boy Comics #13?

I have just received a copy in the GD/GD+ range. The cover is detached but it’s the original cover (not married), the interiors – however – are a bit puzzling to me.

The book is still stapled and it does not seem to have been altered in any way. The pages seem to be all there (I checked with the digital version at the DCM) but there are two instances where there is a single page (instead of a wrap) glued to the following or previous wrap, thus making the total number of inside pages being 60.

Is that normal? I have never encountered such a foliation, the book does not seem messed up in any way and it seems done this way when manufactured.

I just have a #4, a #9 and a #20 so not much to compare to see if there are other issues among the early ones with this kind of manufacturing… hm

If something doesn't match up between your copy and the pages in ComicBookPlus, let me know and I'll dig out my copy of #13 to see if I can figure out the discrepancy. I'm not sure that every issue on that site includes all the ads.

Edited by Crimebuster

Hurray!

Thanks again, gino!

Great Book!! Congrats!! :applause:

@Gino: Thanks, but the version of the book on ComicBookPlus is the same than the one I have from the DCM: 60 pages, and they all match.

@Crimebuster: That would be great, I would like to know if they are actually sixty pages and if there is this pagination with two single pages glued to the previous wraps.

@Robot: Very nice, never saw it, does it collect reprints or new material?

Which pages are you seeing glued in?

My copy has 60 pages, and they match up with the ones on DBCS. So it seems like it was manufactured this way. But I didn't notice the gluing thing. I did notice that some pages were apparently pre-trimmed out before the book was put together. Specifically, at the centerfold, the Daredevil text page has the remnants of a page that was cut off or folded under or something. But everything seemed stapled in?

Thanks for checking. (thumbs u

Yes, the description you give of the centerfold matches what I have: there is a single page (not another wrap) which is attached (glued) to the centerfold.

The other one is glued to the first wrap with the opening and closing ads, and this indeed makes the overall page count of sixty.

It definitely seems it was manufactured this way: the two single pages are neatly (mechanically it seems) cut with an "abundance" and the stapling job definitely looks unaltered and from the manufacturing process.