• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine 1-189 CGC 9.8 complete

110 posts in this topic

That is impressive. Do you have them displayed?

Not right now. My organization has been lacking a bit the past couple years so the run is spread amongst several boxes.

When Desertwind did the Wolverine Con a few years back he offered me a booth if I wanted to come down and display them. We even talked about getting a bunch signed since so many of the creators were going to be there.

I couldn't work it out but I wish I had been able to do that. If I get another chance to do something like that I would. Maybe I could arrange a group photo.

Congratulations! That was my goal in comic collecting at one time. I remember looking at your registry and thinking "there is no way I can compete with this guy" so I ended up hitting the eject button on that quest.

Besides, I thought we'd never see a 9.8 of issue 35.

What an awesome collection!

Thank you. But don't give up on your quest. Some of my best buddies on the boards are guys (and marvelfangirl) who collected the same runs as me.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is special about 35 that makes it difficult to get a 9.8?

There is a thread about it in the Grading and Restoration Forum but this issue is notorious for production flaws - bindery tears. Virtually every issue has them in the direct edition print run. There are reports that some of the newstand copies may not have the same tears.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is special about 35 that makes it difficult to get a 9.8?

There is a thread about it in the Grading and Restoration Forum but this issue is notorious for production flaws - bindery tears. Virtually every issue has them in the direct edition print run. There are reports that some of the newstand copies may not have the same tears.

Was that the last one you needed? Hmm. I'm surprised cgc wouldn't have been more lenient on the books grade because it's a production flaw. Congrats though. That's a Loong time to dedicate to something like that, let alone the money.

The Nabisco. Joey was very fair in pricing the 35...although I have gotten sunburned mowing his lawn.

lol Yeah, Joe is a good dude.

Again, congrats on the run. Outstanding. (thumbs u

spectacular achievement. electricprune showcased his TOD collection complete in the Bronze Horror thread today as well. You guys are lucky as heck to actually have completed a quest.

I'm curious to hear from you guys in a few months on how you feel. Will it remain victorious--or will you be on a new chase? I ask simply because I haven't yet experienced that feeling in completing any of my DC horror collection. I'm nearing ten years here on my quest.

Again, outstanding achievement. I applaud your tenacity! :applause:

I will almost certainly be on to a new chase. I remember when I was putting together my Amazing Adventures 11-17 run I would check the census every month to see if any of the issues finally got a 9.8. I was in touch with all the other registry guys who were working on similar runs. The big dealers knew I was working on the run and willing to pay. Once I finished it (after several years), I wrote up all the descriptions like I did for this run and I may even have done a similar thread. Now, I still check in the Registry a couple times a year and I've stayed in touch with some of the guys who are also working on this run.

Nice set of books.

What did it cost you to put this set together? If I may ask.

CGC books already purchase, CGC grading fees (add some fast track to it), pressing fees, shipping costs, and traveling, I can see an easy $10,000 or more to put this set together.

What an amazing run that I'm sure demanded a high degree of focus. I have been working on a similar copper-modern run for a number of years now, and often have difficulty staying on track. While I'm sure there were difficult individual books to acquire in 9.8 (the infamous #35), it is the entirety and completeness of the set that gives it tremendous value, Now, if you ever decided to sell, would you expect to sell it as a set? Would you break it up? I'm sure the possibilities have crossed your mind.

spectacular achievement. electricprune showcased his TOD collection complete in the Bronze Horror thread today as well. You guys are lucky as heck to actually have completed a quest.

I'm curious to hear from you guys in a few months on how you feel. Will it remain victorious--or will you be on a new chase? I ask simply because I haven't yet experienced that feeling in completing any of my DC horror collection. I'm nearing ten years here on my quest.

Again, outstanding achievement. I applaud your tenacity! :applause:

I will almost certainly be on to a new chase. I remember when I was putting together my Amazing Adventures 11-17 run I would check the census every month to see if any of the issues finally got a 9.8. I was in touch with all the other registry guys who were working on similar runs. The big dealers knew I was working on the run and willing to pay. Once I finished it (after several years), I wrote up all the descriptions like I did for this run and I may even have done a similar thread. Now, I still check in the Registry a couple times a year and I've stayed in touch with some of the guys who are also working on this run.

amazing

Nice set of books.

CGC books already purchase, CGC grading fees (add some fast track to it), pressing fees, shipping costs, and traveling, I can see an easy $10,000 or more to put this set together.

I'm too cheap to fast track and the 35 is the only book that was pressed as far as I know. I wouldn't include any travel costs for this run. But, there are well over 200 books in the run so $10,000 is less than $50/book. I would include the costs of the raw books that I submitted myself. I would also include the cost of the signing opp for a few of the books. Some of the books have been graded twice - once for blue labels and then again for SS. Some of the mint books were pricey. The mint #1 was the most expensive book of the run. I'd bet the final total would be closer to $20K.

Nice set of books.

I'm too cheap to fast track and the 35 is the only book that was pressed as far as I know. I wouldn't include any travel costs for this run. But, there are well over 200 books in the run so $10,000 is less than $50/book. I would include the costs of the raw books that I submitted myself. I would also include the cost of the signing opp for a few of the books. Some of the books have been graded twice - once for blue labels and then again for SS. Some of the mint books were pricey. The mint #1 was the most expensive book of the run. I'd bet the final total would be closer to $20K.

Man that's a whole lot of cheddar, but well worth it :) would love to have a run/set like this :) congrats again!