• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Death of the Family" storyline (Batman)

371 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed the red hood intro story in Batman 0. Can't wait to read the rest of the story. It has also solidified my desire to pick up a detective 168 (even though I'm afraid the book is over priced). Anyone else interested in that book in light of Batman 0 & the forthcoming Death of the Family story arc?

I see how Dectective #168 is desirable but do really think it will be becasue of the introduction about to happen or the silver age story?

The silver age story ... Death in the Family may create some additional interest, but it won't influence long term prices.

I was interested to see that Batman 13 will have a die-cut cover ... I'm excited about the 1:100 black & white variant for issue 13. If Death of the Family is as good as the Court of Owls story line or Snyder's Detective run, it will solidify Snyder as one of greatest Batman writers in history.

The silver age story ... Death in the Family may create some additional interest, but it won't influence long term prices.

I was interested to see that Batman 13 will have a die-cut cover ... I'm excited about the 1:100 black & white variant for issue 13. If Death of the Family is as good as the Court of Owls story line or Snyder's Detective run, it will solidify Snyder as one of greatest Batman writers in history.

Oh ok thats what I thought you meant. In that case I could see how these two could help each other. I believe personally that Snyder is already on of the best writers of Batman, IMO. I wonder though if the story arc will bring all the characters to the Dectective or batman title or if they will remain in their own (i.e Batgirl, Suicide Squad, Bird of Prey etc) But mostly Batgirl and Robin/NightWing.

I imagine that there will be some sort of event that will effect all of the characters and that it will be treated from each characters perspective in their various titles. I agree with your evaluation of Snyder's work. In fact, he is probably my favorite Batman writer. I never thought that someone would pass up Frank Miller on my list of best Batman writers, but Snyder's work on Detective and Batman is truly inspiring. I hope that he remains working on Batman for the forseeable future. I also love Snyder's work on American Vampire. I'm afraid that Miller's meltdown and personal politics effect my objectivity. What I had always assumed was hyperbole and satire in the Dark Knight Returns now appears to be the ramblings of someone who is unbalanced.

Good checklist here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/27/your-death-in-the-family-crossover-with-scott-synder/

I wonder how much of a crossover this really is. I mean, are the Batman issues stand-alone so they tell a complete story? Do you have to read Catwoman to understand Batgirl? That kinda thing....

Good checklist here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/27/your-death-in-the-family-crossover-with-scott-synder/

I wonder how much of a crossover this really is. I mean, are the Batman issues stand-alone so they tell a complete story? Do you have to read Catwoman to understand Batgirl? That kinda thing....

According to Scott Snyder on twitter:

"But to be clear- you can read titles like Batman alone and get a full self-standing story"

"as for why Joker is in the other bat books - I was writing the Joker story in Batman and Joker's plan involved the bat-family."

"other writers to... write their own stories involving the Joker, independently, that wouldn't need to x-over, but instead be self-standing and terrifying."

He did say he might reference happenings from other books but you won't need to buy every title if you are only interested in what Bruce vs Joker looks like.

I'll only be buying the Batman title and will wait to see if any of the other books grab my attention on the rack (or wait for tpb.)

Batman 13 was awesome! Can't wait for the next issue. Batgirl 13 is really a tease and not heavy on content related to the Death of the Family story, but I'm hopeful we'll see more stuff in Catwoman 13. The die-cut covers are awesome. A bunch of copies are getting creases because of the die-cut. Make sure to take a close look at the interior front and back covers on the die-cut issues so that you don't grab copies with ncb and/or cbing defects and enjoy. This story sure looks like it is going to eclipse the Court of Owls story arc. If Scott Snyder isn't already one of the best writers in the Bat cannon, I'm confident that he will be considered one of the greatest when this story is over.