• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Death of the Family" storyline (Batman)

371 posts in this topic

There's no question in my mind that CGC 9.8s will be hot sellers particularly the joker variant, Batgirl, the NYCC variant and the 1:100 variant should be really hot because it's always hard to get a 9.8 on a black background and I haven't seen many 9.8 candidates on the b/w sketch variant.

Question, since the storyline is the main attraction as well as art, do you think there is a value in grading batman 13 and batgirl 13?

Grading modern comics from either Marvel or DC is silly. Since they are so heavily printed with variant covers, and 2nd printings. So I'd say no.

I agree ... this may be one of the best Joker story's ever told. I've got incredibly high expectations. Snyder is one of a handful of writer's who writes issues that leave me feeling satisfied when I'm done reading it. His run on Batman is one of my all time favorites. I would love a CGC set of Death of the Family. I imagine that there are lot of people who will agree.

I agree ... this may be one of the best Joker story's ever told. I've got incredibly high expectations. Snyder is one of a handful of writer's who writes issues that leave me feeling satisfied when I'm done reading it. His run on Batman is one of my all time favorites. I would love a CGC set of Death of the Family. I imagine that there are lot of people who will agree.

Let's wait for it to be finished before we crown it. Snyder's first story was incredibly slow and just retold a never expanded silver age story. Really hoping this story is told at a more rapid pace than the previous one.

While we are talking about Snyder's Batman, I wonder when/if Detective 871 will take off. It's got a print run of 37,398 and the second print has a minuscule print run of 3,302 according to comic chron? I wonder if this will be the next Walking Dead 33 (2nd print) or at least as hot as Batman 608. I don't think there's any comparison between Batman 608 and Detective 871. Detective 871 is clearly the more important issue. What's everyone think?

While we are talking about Snyder's Batman, I wonder when/if Detective 871 will take off. It's got a print run of 37,398 and the second print has a minuscule print run of 3,302 according to comic chron? I wonder if this will be the next Walking Dead 33 (2nd print) or at least as hot as Batman 608. I don't think there's any comparison between Batman 608 and Detective 871. Detective 871 is clearly the more important issue. What's everyone think?

Great story and I really the the red variant.

Print run wise you are correct. There is no contest. Historically though does it pan out for writers on a book for the first time? 608s print run was monstorous, but it gave us Hush, Lee and Loeb all at once and I loved it. 871 and on was great too, but in a different way. Snyder brings Gordon and to the front and brings the detective work back, while Lee and Loeb gave us an adrenaline rush from the get go.

I've wondered that about 'Tec #871 too. It's a $10 - $15 at the moment. It should see some increase in interest and maybe a spike in the price but I'm not so sure about how it will hold up long-term. I guess it depends on how classic his 'Batman' run becomes. He's off to a good start, that's for sure.

I might pick up a second print just in case ;)

Print run wise you are correct. There is no contest. Historically though does it pan out for writers on a book for the first time? 608s print run was monstorous, but it gave us Hush, Lee and Loeb all at once and I loved it. 871 and on was great too, but in a different way. Snyder brings Gordon and to the front and brings the detective work back, while Lee and Loeb gave us an adrenaline rush from the get go.

The black mask story was great particularly in light of the CPR Snyder had to do on the book in the wake of Morrison's lobotomy. lol I think we're going to see issue 871 (first and second print) and 880 keep rising. There books I'm buying all day in the right condition.

Timing will be everything on CGC slabs of this run.

You arent kidding alot will get caught holding the bag on this one. Thank god I dont mess with them.

Why do you say that? Don't think the story line would be worth it to grade the books? I was thinking of trying to complete the set in 9.8 and just selling it on ebay...lol