• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventurers thread

332 posts in this topic

I can still remember missing out on the alt cover. lol

I can also remember looking it up in Comics Value Monthly and seeing it valued at $50-$60, along with Redfox 1 and Fish Police 1, and Elf Lord 1

I think I still have that CVM somewhere.

I can also remember looking it up in Comics Value Monthly and seeing it valued at $50-$60, along with Redfox 1 and Fish Police 1, and Elf Lord 1

(thumbs u(thumbs u(thumbs u(thumbs u

Look no further than Overstreet's Price Guide 1987.. Adventurers 1 was the highlight of that guide (they featured the regular cover though).. That's what got me into the indie boom at the time. Seeing that painted cover by Hsu and discovering that the interior was painted airbrushed art got me hooked right away. Its funny how the marketing campaign suggested that the target market for this series should be X-Men fans and thats exactly who they got.

1987-1988 were all Indies for me with very little Marvel/DC purchases

(thumbs u(thumbs u(thumbs u(thumbs u

Look no further than Overstreet's Price Guide 1987.. Adventurers 1 was the highlight of that guide (they featured the regular cover though).. That's what got me into the indie boom at the time. Seeing that painted cover by Hsu and discovering that the interior was painted airbrushed art got me hooked right away. Its funny how the marketing campaign suggested that the target market for this series should be X-Men fans and thats exactly who they got.

1987-1988 were all Indies for me with very little Marvel/DC purchases

I don't have any hsu art from adventurers, but fwiw other hsu art I have is not airbrush (except for accents/effects here and there. Primarily ink and grey scale markers. Looks like a wash technique when printed but not in actuality

Regarding those ads... keep in mind that American Comics had a hand in publishing/marketing the Adventurers comics. I'm not sure people realized that at the time. I have to say they did a good job of creating the market for some of those "scarce" independent books.

Regarding those ads... keep in mind that American Comics had a hand in publishing/marketing the Adventurers comics. I'm not sure people realized that at the time. I have to say they did a good job of creating the market for some of those "scarce" independent books.

Where did you get that information from hm

At the same time. not too sure if people realize that The Adventurers was THE hottest book to get in 87 according to OSPG, MileHigh and many other retailers... Just clarifying (thumbs u

At the same time. not too sure if people realize that The Adventurers was THE hottest book to get in 87 according to OSPG, MileHigh and many other retailers... Just clarifying (thumbs u

If you visited Another World which was their store in Washington DC, you would see multiple copies of #1 on the wall (including the rare skeleton cover). The owner of American Comics would talk about his involvement with the book and it was pretty common discussion around the DC area comic scene (see the post about the Badventurers spoof mini-comic published by Jolly Roger's Comics earlier in this thread). I think American Comics' formal involvement ended after the first or second issue however. Also, if I remember correctly, Scott Behnke (the writer) worked at the shop at the time.

I was stationed at a Georgia Army base in 1986, and even then The Adventurers #1 variant was being sold for $35-$60, and Samurai #1 first print was $30-$40. There were collectors trading in key Silver Age books to get small piles of these comics.

I remember seeing a fellow bring in a nice looking example of X-Men #3 with the Blob cover, to trade it for a few copies of these books because they were so hot.

doh!

If you visited Another World which was their store in Washington DC, you would see multiple copies of #1 on the wall (including the rare skeleton cover). The owner of American Comics would talk about his involvement with the book and it was pretty common discussion around the DC area comic scene (see the post about the Badventurers spoof mini-comic published by Jolly Roger's Comics earlier in this thread). I think American Comics' formal involvement ended after the first or second issue however. Also, if I remember correctly, Scott Behnke (the writer) worked at the shop at the time.

Even if that was true (not suggesting it wasnt) in fairness, it's really business as usual today with all these "scarce" variants. Yup, were printing only 1:100/500 etc etc.. and the cover is only 2.99, but its selling for 100s before it hits the store already.

And as I said earlier, I doubt that AC paid off OSPG or Chuck, or Westfield or anybody else that was dubbing it the hottest book in town to make it the big ticket item that it was back then.

If you collected comic books back then, you heard of the indie B&W explosion, and Aircel titles as well as Adventurers were part of that wave

This is the one that snagged my wallet for $45 at the time.

FishPolice1.jpg

'Comic reseller: Better get it now before it's a $100 book.'

:(

At least you found a copy! I couldnt tell you how many times I ordered it from Chuck for that amount (or close to it) and it was always out of stock on my invoices :pullhair:

At least you found a copy! I couldnt tell you how many times I ordered it from Chuck for that amount (or close to it) and it was always out of stock on my invoices :pullhair:

It was crazy how fast these books were gobbled up.

It was crazy how fast these books were gobbled up.

1987 was the year that everything as we know it today was taken to the next level.. You can say that the new age business plan of retailing comic books was written in that year;

The empowerment of indies, the popularity and significance of 1st prints over reprints, The Retailer variants, the signed & numbered/limited edition print runs.. Yeah, I guess even the birth of the words "Scarce", "Rare" in relation to new publications were all brought to mainstream acknowledgment in that year.

Personally, to me, it was all about reading comics and throwing them in the closet before 1987. It all changed after that year

1987 was the year that everything as we know it today was taken to the next level.. You can say that the new age business plan of retailing comic books was written in that year;

The empowerment of indies, the popularity and significance of 1st prints over reprints, The Retailer variants, the signed & numbered/limited edition print runs.. Yeah, I guess even the birth of the words "Scarce", "Rare" in relation to new publications were all brought to mainstream acknowledgment in that year.

Personally, to me, it was all about reading comics and throwing them in the closet before 1987. It all changed after that year

'Scarce, Rare'

:roflmao:

You are not kidding. I would read that in Overstreet, and then visit my LCS and find like two or three copies of books falling into this category. Like these few copies existed only in my region.

:ohnoez: