• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventurers thread

332 posts in this topic

That's a tough post for me to respond to without sounding either defensive or like a d-bag :insane:

Have you read / were you a fan of the series? It just seems like you're critiquing the art as though its a marvel try out from last week as opposed to a 25 year old Indy classic?

I love Kent's style and to me the series compares favourably in both art & story to almost any Indy from that time. As far as sword & sorcery goes, I think it's the best 11 issue run in comics. (shrug) Conan is apples and oranges but at least to me, not as compelling. The stories aren't well enough developed for me to get too excited about them.

I hope Im not misinterpreting your comments. I just find them genuinely puzzling ???

If you haven't read it - give it a try :)

We are like brothers on this matter. One of the best series I've ever read. It doesn't leave much to the imagination as far as gore goes. :)

Even though this was one of those series that crashed hard as part of the B&W implosion, it still brings back great memories.

:cloud9:

Yeah. Collateral damage of an age of laughable stories and artwork. That being said, the series has risen from the ashes somewhat, for the great book It is. I'm still on the hunt for a 10.0 skeleton #1. :)

Yeah. Collateral damage of an age of laughable stories and artwork. That being said, the series has risen from the ashes somewhat, for the great book It is. I'm still on the hunt for a 10.0 skeleton #1. :)

They're out there. You will find it!

:wishluck:

They're out there. You will find it!

:wishluck:

This is one of the few books I'm absolutely sure there is one out there. Just a matter of time.

Just wanted to stop by and say Thank you Bill (worship) I so do love this CGC variant book !!! been trying to get a nice graded one of this book for some time now, thanks to you Christmas came early for me :headbang::whee::banana:

003_zps724be02c.jpg

001_zpsc77d2d38.jpg

:cloud9:

You're welcome. The skeleton cover will always be my favorite book. On the OA front, I think it's only a matter of time before Dan tracks that cover down. Even a single page of issue 1 would be as priceless to me as a page of OA from AF 15 would be for others.

I was looking through boxes at a convention about 10 years ago and pulled a copy of Adventurers #1 because the guy on the cover (short hair) looked like my friend who was standing nearby. I pointed it out to him and we both had a laugh.

Then I forgot about it.

When I remembered it years later, I looked up Adventurers #1 and saw the OTHER cover (long hair), and just assumed that I was remembering the wrong title.

lol:blush:

The 1980s had variant covers with alternate art... who knew?!? :tonofbricks:

You're welcome. The skeleton cover will always be my favorite book. On the OA front, I think it's only a matter of time before Dan tracks that cover down. Even a single page of issue 1 would be as priceless to me as a page of OA from AF 15 would be for others.

I think you're giving me way too much credit lol I don't like my chances. I'd have to invest more time in that than I am willing to do right now.

I was looking through boxes at a convention about 10 years ago and pulled a copy of Adventurers #1 because the guy on the cover (short hair) looked like my friend who was standing nearby. I pointed it out to him and we both had a laugh.

Then I forgot about it.

When I remembered it years later, I looked up Adventurers #1 and saw the OTHER cover (long hair), and just assumed that I was remembering the wrong title.

lol:blush:

The 1980s had variant covers with alternate art... who knew?!? :tonofbricks:

You guys can correct me if I'm misremembering. But my understanding on the two covers for Issue 1 was that the variant skeleton cover was supposed to be the original and only cover. However, before it went to press, someone decided that that cover was too mature-oriented due to the half-naked lady. So Hsu came up with a toned-down version, which became the regular cover. And the mature cover became the "scarce" variant.

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. The skeleton cover having been painted first would make sense as it would explain why shadolok has a bob haircut as opposed to the hair band haircut, but painting a new cover due to a belly dancer outfit seems kind of an extreme over reaction. I always just assumed Milo had two covers so that he could ask 60 dollars for the skeleton cover in his ads (shrug) . I mean... if the skin was that big an issue why publish the skeleton cover at all. I would guess it was more about the money/ marketing.... but Im really not sure.

I think you're giving me way too much credit lol I don't like my chances. I'd have to invest more time in that than I am willing to do right now.

I'm assuming there would be a bidding war of some sort. It's a cool cover, even if you weren't the biggest fan. It would definitely look sweet on one of my walls. It's not going to happen though. :sorry:

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. The skeleton cover having been painted first would make sense as it would explain why shadolok has a bob haircut as opposed to the hair band haircut, but painting a new cover due to a belly dancer outfit seems kind of an extreme over reaction. I always just assumed Milo had two covers so that he could ask 60 dollars for the skeleton cover in his ads (shrug) . I mean... if the skin was that big an issue why publish the skeleton cover at all. I would guess it was more about the money/ marketing.... but Im really not sure.

Yeah, definitely there was a money / marketing angle to it I'd say. Probably also a legit concern that parents might not buy the mature cover for their kids. So they satisfied both audiences, young and old. Making the "mature" cover harder to find was definitely smart marketing of the book. Though I would think Hsu's artwork would have sold the book regardless.