• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventurers thread

332 posts in this topic

I may have said it before in this thread but Adventurers was definitely one of the better B&W indies of the day. I'm more of a Hsu fan but Burles was good. Too bad they couldn't keep this series going.

I've wondered how long it will take before some of this stuff gets hot again. Not really holding my breath but who knows? (shrug)

I may have said it before in this thread but Adventurers was definitely one of the better B&W indies of the day. I'm more of a Hsu fan but Burles was good. Too bad they couldn't keep this series going.

I've wondered how long it will take before some of this stuff gets hot again. Not really holding my breath but who knows? (shrug)

I really liked it because it was violent. It was the exact opposite of the lameass D&D cartoon from a couple years before. People got killed, the monsters were tough and scary, and the art was awesome. It started coming out before I got my driver's license so it was hit or miss when i could get to a comic store, but I was always excited for the book.

Please don't get me started on the massive fail that is the D&D cartoon. I was profoundly disappointed. They had the chance to make a good serious D&D cartoon and instead made that silly garbage.

lol That was baaaad. They butchered the whole concept. Like they butchered Dune. How can you ruin those franchises?? But yeah, Adventurers, and even elf warrior were great because of the violence. Gratuitous, sure. But a 15 year old boy can't get enough of that. It sort of jumped the shark a bit in the 3rd series, but the first two were just fantastic. It's unlikely they'll (Burles, etc.) bring it back, but if they are lurking... BRING IT BACK, BRING IT BACK! MOAR!

Please don't get me started on the massive fail that is the D&D cartoon. I was profoundly disappointed. They had the chance to make a good serious D&D cartoon and instead made that silly garbage.

lol That was baaaad. They butchered the whole concept. Like they butchered Dune. How can you ruin those franchises?? But yeah, Adventurers, and even elf warrior were great because of the violence. Gratuitous, sure. But a 15 year old boy can't get enough of that. It sort of jumped the shark a bit in the 3rd series, but the first two were just fantastic. It's unlikely they'll (Burles, etc.) bring it back, but if they are lurking... BRING IT BACK, BRING IT BACK! MOAR!

Burles is actually open to it from my conversations with him, he really liked working on it. He probably won't be the roadblock, getting somebody to finance it is probably the biggest hurdle.

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. The skeleton cover having been painted first would make sense as it would explain why shadolok has a bob haircut as opposed to the hair band haircut, but painting a new cover due to a belly dancer outfit seems kind of an extreme over reaction. I always just assumed Milo had two covers so that he could ask 60 dollars for the skeleton cover in his ads (shrug) . I mean... if the skin was that big an issue why publish the skeleton cover at all. I would guess it was more about the money/ marketing.... but Im really not sure.

Yeah, definitely there was a money / marketing angle to it I'd say. Probably also a legit concern that parents might not buy the mature cover for their kids. So they satisfied both audiences, young and old. Making the "mature" cover harder to find was definitely smart marketing of the book. Though I would think Hsu's artwork would have sold the book regardless.

I remember buying one of each. There were equal quantities of both covers available. Though I guess there could have been more in the back. Is one really rarer? I am asking because I never really followed the numbers.

Dan

I remember buying one of each. There were equal quantities of both covers available. Though I guess there could have been more in the back. Is one really rarer? I am asking because I never really followed the numbers.

Dan

It's a good question. There isn't much reference material on the title when it comes to wiki (a BIG fan should fix that), and VF/NM just talks about the highlights of the series.

http://veryfinenearmint.com/2009/10/15/the-adventurers/

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. The skeleton cover having been painted first would make sense as it would explain why shadolok has a bob haircut as opposed to the hair band haircut, but painting a new cover due to a belly dancer outfit seems kind of an extreme over reaction. I always just assumed Milo had two covers so that he could ask 60 dollars for the skeleton cover in his ads (shrug) . I mean... if the skin was that big an issue why publish the skeleton cover at all. I would guess it was more about the money/ marketing.... but Im really not sure.

Yeah, definitely there was a money / marketing angle to it I'd say. Probably also a legit concern that parents might not buy the mature cover for their kids. So they satisfied both audiences, young and old. Making the "mature" cover harder to find was definitely smart marketing of the book. Though I would think Hsu's artwork would have sold the book regardless.

Dan

Supposedly, the skeleton cover is harder to find. The publisher probably printed the same amount, and claimed it was a limited edition to justify selling them for $60.

I think the guy responsible for this is dead, so he's not talking. Regardless of the print run, it's not a marvel or DC print run, so the book may one day have more value. The art and story are top notch, but it suffered in the black and white backlash. I still pick up every one I can find at a decent price.

I think the guy responsible for this is dead, so he's not talking. Regardless of the print run, it's not a marvel or DC print run, so the book may one day have more value. The art and story are top notch, but it suffered in the black and white backlash. I still pick up every one I can find at a decent price.

:cloud9:

Gosh, Dungeons & Dragons was one of my all-time favorite cartoons as a kid.... :sorry:

How old were you at the time?

I ask because my theory is that you younger you were when that cartoon came out, the more likely you were to enjoy it.

Gosh, Dungeons & Dragons was one of my all-time favorite cartoons as a kid.... :sorry:

How old were you at the time?

I ask because my theory is that you younger you were when that cartoon came out, the more likely you were to enjoy it.

I was 11 when it debuted. :grin:

One of my favorites from the 80's. I love picking them up cheap when I find them. It's getting a little harder to find the skeleton cover than it used to be. Anyone have Hsu's signature on ANY book?

BB530757-07BA-4CFB-9B81-84892FFF775A-15444-00000B0C179B4C00.jpg

:bump:

Oh yeah. Forgot about that pic. Bronty and amazing RJ have the best copies I've ever seen, though. And I've seen A LOT of these.