• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scam Du Jour..Obvious (yet hilarious) internet comic book scams.

19 posts in this topic

Just thought Id start a thread where members can post the ridiculous, and ridiculously fraudulent, internet scams aimed at naiive comic book buyers.

heres the first entry. Comes from someone who posts often in different cities throughout the US on craigslist.

the wording may differ from post to post, but the theme is the same. My father, uncle, someone older has this huge collection of comics. I dont know what theyre worth, and I dont care about them. You can have these for some ridiculously low price.

followed by pics of action #1, Tec27, hulk 1,...it varies from post to post. some are pics ripped from HA auctions, some are jpgs from comic sites.

the latest one to pop up is in Salt Lake City

"comic books - $50 (ut)

Date: 2012-08-26, 11:33AM MDT

i got these out of an old house we tore down.they are old and original.i'll take the first 50.00 that wants them.paypal only.i'll mail with tracking.thats 50.00 for all "

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/clt/3230751654.html

with pics of tec27 and batman 1 included.

feel free to make an offer on these books.

Heres another...not a scam per se, if you dont mind being paid in Iraqi Dinars. Not even Iraqis want to be paid in Iraqi Dinars.

Love his speculative strategy though. I should stock up on Zimbabwe $10,000,000,000 notes.

http://houston.craigslist.org/bar/3238825892.html

"iraqi dinars for comics, sports cards & collectables - $1 (raywood)

Date: 2012-09-01, 6:00AM CDT

i have 100,000 iraqi dinars in mint shape. bought them waiting for irag currency to go up and make me rich like after kuwait war when dinar shot up in value. got in to collecting sports cards/ collectables, and comics with my son, so trying the bartering process to keep the playing field level. iragi dinars are in high demand here in the states just google it. will send photos if interested . send me photos of what you have to offer and if there are autographs. no rediculas offers. i know sports cards and collectables values....it is nothing, unless it is in demand. the estimated values are jokes, so dont sell me that line. craigslist is flooded with over priced sports cards, collectables, comics and nobody is buying. come to me with realistic offers or i dont respond. comics can be any year, but in great shape. sports cards must be 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. anyting beyond those years i do not want. i already have 150,000 cards of 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. "

Heres another...not a scam per se, if you dont mind being paid in Iraqi Dinars. Not even Iraqis want to be paid in Iraqi Dinars.

Love his speculative strategy though. I should stock up on Zimbabwe $10,000,000,000 notes.

http://houston.craigslist.org/bar/3238825892.html

"iraqi dinars for comics, sports cards & collectables - $1 (raywood)

Date: 2012-09-01, 6:00AM CDT

i have 100,000 iraqi dinars in mint shape. bought them waiting for irag currency to go up and make me rich like after kuwait war when dinar shot up in value. got in to collecting sports cards/ collectables, and comics with my son, so trying the bartering process to keep the playing field level. iragi dinars are in high demand here in the states just google it. will send photos if interested . send me photos of what you have to offer and if there are autographs. no rediculas offers. i know sports cards and collectables values....it is nothing, unless it is in demand. the estimated values are jokes, so dont sell me that line. craigslist is flooded with over priced sports cards, collectables, comics and nobody is buying. come to me with realistic offers or i dont respond. comics can be any year, but in great shape. sports cards must be 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. anyting beyond those years i do not want. i already have 150,000 cards of 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. "

I love the doubletalk about how valuable the Iraqi dinar is but how overvalued all sports cards are. It's "rediculas." :)

probably the same guy...now hes posting in houston.

http://houston.craigslist.org/clt/3269571834.html

"I got these from an estate sale.I had a envelope from previous owner stating original and where he got each but I lost it.I assure you both are authentic. I don't collect so I'm guessing the value but if its to high let me know and ill adjust.I only accept paaypal and will mail carefully.I want 300.00 each. "

with pic of cgc fantastic four #1 and jpg of Tec 27

Thought you guys might enjoy this:

How I got an uncooperative eBay buyer to pay for her purchase. Was it unethical?

Note: It wasn't me who did this but damn, it was funny I almost wish it was.

This Glim Dropper scam was posted here at least a year ago, maybe longer.

Interesting. People come up with all sorts of (as evident by the laundry list of scams in that wiki link).

Thought you guys might enjoy this:

How I got an uncooperative eBay buyer to pay for her purchase. Was it unethical?

Note: It wasn't me who did this but damn, it was funny I almost wish it was.

This Glim Dropper scam was posted here at least a year ago, maybe longer.

That's an old version of that - I think I recall reading that about 10 years ago and being entertained by the premise. Revenge cons are the best.