• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you still remember your first comic ?

105 posts in this topic

I've told this story in some iteration before, but during a drive up to Sudbury as a young boy, my Aunt stopped by a comic shop and the first book that caught my eye and interest was a Hulk 131 sitting on top of a pile of old comics.

My first comic experience was when my parents bought me a VHS tape in England of the '60s Spider-Man cartoon for £40 when I was three or four. That was what got me stuck on Spidey. Fast forward to when I was 13 we moved back to the same base in England and I picked up New Warriors 19 or 22 (can't remember). That was what started me in collecting comics.

Wolverine #1 in 1988 when I was 9 years old. It was the end of the summer down in cape cod at one of those tacky shore souvenir shops, but they had a spinner rack of comics. I had always been a Wolverine and X-Men fan when looking at my friends comics, so when I saw that #1 I just had to have it.

edit: I still have it as well.

Wolverine #1 in 1988 when I was 9 years old. It was the end of the summer down in cape cod at one of those tacky shore souvenir shops, but they had a spinner rack of comics. I had always been a Wolverine and X-Men fan when looking at my friends comics, so when I saw that #1 I just had to have it.

Back in ' 81, I was in a similar shop in Wellfleet. I remember buying Rom 20 and Raiders of the Lost Ark 1.

When I first started to read comics I read the Dandy and Beano ( British comics ).

I can remember being off school ill and my dad came in from work and gave me a Superboy comic.

I tried to read it but thought it was rubbish and put it away.

A year or so later I came across it and read it and it blew my mind.

After this I could no longer read Dandys and Beanos.

Since then I have collected and enjoyed all titles from most publishers but I always remember the comic that started me off.

I was 8 years old when this was published.

This is that comic, my first.

Superboy179.jpg

Fantastic 1, the British reprint comic from the late 60s - not FF 1, sadly - given to me by my parents when I was 4 years old.  It had reprints of Lee/ Kirby X-Men stories, which no doubt contributed towards turning me into a lifelong fan of the team.

When I first started to read comics I read the Dandy and Beano ( British comics ).

I can remember being off school ill and my dad came in from work and gave me a Superboy comic.

Since then I have collected and enjoyed all titles from most publishers but I always remember the comic that started me off.

Superboy179.jpg

This was also one of the first (U.S.) comics I ever remember reading, along with Cap 176 and Superboy 197. My brother came home from school with it. Found the cover rather unsettling...no idea where the book is now, though.

First comic I ever read was probably Tintin - Destination Moon / Explorers On The Moon, in 1969, not long before the actual moon landings. Absolutely riveted me, and I ended up getting all the Tintin series. From ' 70 - ' 72 there was the British stuff, and then the U.S. stuff (the first comic I actually bought myself was Swamp Thing 10) from ' 73 to now.

Superboy179.jpg

This was also one of the first (U.S.) comics I ever remember reading, along with Cap 176 and Superboy 197. My brother came home from school with it. Found the cover rather unsettling...no idea where the book is now, though.

It was a rather disturbing cover, the story is quite shocking also ( to an 8 year old anyway )

First comic I ever read was probably Tintin - Destination Moon / Explorers On The Moon, in 1969, not long before the actual moon landings. Absolutely riveted me, and I ended up getting all the Tintin series.

Wow, it must have been impressive to read those Tintin stories in 1969. I guess "Flight 714 to Sydney" must have been quite intriguing. I read those as an adult.

If we’re speaking of american comic books I started reading them quite late, around 1978. My first was Fantastici Quattro #190, the italian edition of Fantastic Four #175.

139924_2.JPG

It wasn’t the best choice for a starter, the story is quite complicate, and Ben Grimm, which is now cured, wears a Thing armor, but in the end it becomes the Thing once again, IIRC because of exposition to rays during the battle between Galactus and the High Evolutionary. But I loved the fact I did understand a 20% of it, it made feel like I have become part of an ongoing story, with real characters, with their weaknesses but nonetheless heroes.

It also included these cool stickers. Stickers were common in italian editions, and they added a "richness" to the book. The pictures remained with the children's imagination for, say, ever. :)

AD190_A.JPGf4%20190%20adesivo%20primo.jpg

Superboy179.jpg

It was a rather disturbing cover, the story is quite shocking also ( to an 8 year old anyway )

Always hated seeing those English pence stamps. Still, at least the small purple ones were a lot less obtrusive than the black stamps of death used in the 60's. Does CGC downgrade for those purple and black stamps btw ?