• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you still remember your first comic ?

105 posts in this topic

This is the first issue I actually remember getting as a kid (Popeye 158) and seems it is fairly rare :applause: Also around the same time picked up some rare Battle of the Planets. As you can tell it was well read and abused, if I only knew they would be valuable.

comicsapr2010006.jpg

That's awesome to have the OA for the cover of your first book!

I read some Super Goof, Scrooge & Beagle Boys but my first Marvel/DC books were K-mart 3 packs in the summer of '77 - I still remember the books in those packs but I started buying off the rack every month with ASM 176 and some others but I tend to go with that book as my key one. (shrug)

I'd love some OA from that issue but I fed my 'first book' nostalgia by grabbing a pedigree copy of "my" book, I missed in on Heritage so I was happy when I saw it posted here...then I sat in the weeds awaiting the sale. :shy:

March 9

May 21

I bought my first comic in 1984 at the age of 10 and was instantly -- and I mean instantly -- hooked. I went home, got a folder out and wrote a checklist of issue numbers in it, then crossed off the one and only issue I had. Not sure where that collector's mentality came from, but it was literally instantaneous for me.

Here's that great comic that basically changed my life, as I have been a collector ever since I read it:

Blackhawk_Vol_1_269.jpg

Iron Man 46 - Bought at the U-Tote-M after a summer day at the neighborhood pool. I can still remember the bike I was riding, the weather, the smell of the comic, the candy bar I also bought. That day is so clear.

That's awesome to have the OA for the cover of your first book!

I read some Super Goof, Scrooge & Beagle Boys but my first Marvel/DC books were K-mart 3 packs in the summer of '77 - I still remember the books in those packs but I started buying off the rack every month with ASM 176 and some others but I tend to go with that book as my key one. (shrug)

I'd love some OA from that issue but I fed my 'first book' nostalgia by grabbing a pedigree copy of "my" book, I missed in on Heritage so I was happy when I saw it posted here...then I sat in the weeds awaiting the sale. :shy:

March 9

May 21

You need to get bitten by the OA bug. There's two nice pages on CAF from your issue:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=561325&GSub=87775

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=97766&GSub=14295

When I first started to read comics I read the Dandy and Beano ( British comics ).

I can remember being off school ill and my dad came in from work and gave me a Superboy comic.

I tried to read it but thought it was rubbish and put it away.

A year or so later I came across it and read it and it blew my mind.

After this I could no longer read Dandys and Beanos.

Since then I have collected and enjoyed all titles from most publishers but I always remember the comic that started me off.

I was 8 years old when this was published.

This is that comic, my first.

Superboy179.jpg

This was also one of the first (U.S.) comics I ever remember reading, along with Cap 176 and Superboy 197. My brother came home from school with it. Found the cover rather unsettling...no idea where the book is now, though.

It was a rather disturbing cover, the story is quite shocking also ( to an 8 year old anyway )

Always hated seeing those English pence stamps. Still, at least the small purple ones were a lot less obtrusive than the black stamps of death used in the 60's. Does CGC downgrade for those purple and black stamps btw ?

That's a good question - I'm certain CGC downgrades for the large (and often smudged) 9d stamps that were on all distributed books to the UK throughout the ' 60s. Don't think there's much of an issue with the small T & P stamps of the ' 70s, though, but CGC has never been clear on this.

When I was home sick at age 8, my father bought me 4 comics. The two

I remember were Mutt & Jeff 5 and All Star 13. The All Star got me into

collecting.

While I have copies of both now, they are not the original copies. I sold the

bulk of my collection in about 1950 but kept my favorites (All Star 6 - 5x,

plus Action 6). I chased back issues even then. While I was at college,

my brothers stole the comics (plus about 300 pulps - Shadow, Avenger,

Argosy, All Story, Blue Book) and sold them for booze and smokes.

I returned to comic collecting in 1983 and 70,000 (est) later, well

here I am.

Bought at the Cit-Go on the way to Sears in 1982...

Mom thought it would keep me entertain while she clothes shopped...

little did she know it (and other comics) would keep me entertained for 30 years and counting...

37227_20060524142945_large.jpg

I bought my first comic in 1984 at the age of 10 and was instantly -- and I mean instantly -- hooked. I went home, got a folder out and wrote a checklist of issue numbers in it, then crossed off the one and only issue I had. Not sure where that collector's mentality came from, but it was literally instantaneous for me.

Here's that great comic that basically changed my life, as I have been a collector ever since I read it:

Blackhawk_Vol_1_269.jpg

Now I understand where your good taste comes from… :)

Mark Evanier, I can’t even begin to thank him for all he’s done for (and with) Jack Kirby, let alone the fact that he mantains alive the blog of Steve Gerber. God bless…

Bought at the Cit-Go on the way to Sears in 1982...

Mom thought it would keep me entertain while she clothes shopped...

little did she know it (and other comics) would keep me entertained for 30 years and counting...

37227_20060524142945_large.jpg

Huh? "Evil Star" looks almost the same as Ace's golden age hero Captain Corageous…

I don't remember my first comic book, and I'm not as old as some of you so the issue that made me a Spider-Man collector wasn't that old either. I'm dyslexic and was a struggling reader, but I loved to draw. My dad thought comics would be perfect and he started buying me stuff out of a dollar bin when I was a kid. He then started buying me Sonic comics as I liked the game. That grew into a love for collecting comics more than 20 years later.

My dad is amazed by my collection now and dumbfounded at how much money I spend.

Edit: I also, to this day, still shop in the store where my dad started buying me books a long time ago.

I don't remember my first comic book, and I'm not as old as some of you so the issue that made me a Spider-Man collector wasn't that old either. I'm dyslexic and was a struggling reader, but I loved to draw. My dad thought comics would be perfect and he started buying me stuff out of a dollar bin when I was a kid. He then started buying me Sonic comics as I liked the game. That grew into a love for collecting comics more than 20 years later.

My dad is amazed by my collection now and dumbfounded at how much money I spend.

Edit: I also, to this day, still shop in the store where my dad started buying me books a long time ago.

Well Chris, supposedly it was a Spider-Man issue… :)

I have an early 1990s issue of Wired (with a feature on SEGA) where Sonic is portrayed as a businessman at his desk, representing how videogames became a growing relevant industry.