• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why CGC is the Only Choice for 3rd Party Comic Book Grading!

151 posts in this topic

I do not believe that the guy in the video was legitimately screwed by PGX. i initially felt bad for him. My first doubts about his story was the overacting. Then I asked myself why he would open up such a book on video. It made no sense to me unless he knew that the camera would document a discrepancy between the labeling and the contents of the slab.

With that said, we have all seen CGC make errors. Months ago, I bought a book that was labeled by CGC in error as another copy of Amazing Spider-man. With the recent activities that went on regarding a seller in the marketplace it was stated that at one point CGC encapsulated a restored book in a universal label.

While I am not going to support any other idea other than that of CGC having a more rigorous grading system, I would be hard pressed to say that PGX is inferior due to a mislabeling instance. Both companies have had similar occurrences.

I agree. Given the number of CGC books I'd say that CGC's mistakes are statistically insignificant whereas a mistake like this from PGX would be more noticeable.

I use Wikipedia...where everyone can add their facts....because they believe it to be true.

That wasn't as long winded as I expected. TRULY disappointing.

But back to the REAL subject at hand, I think that CGC will be here in the long run. They are backed by a much larger company, NCG, who is the world's top coin and currency grader.

Mint you do come off as ragging on comics a lot to me also, but I enjoy reading your posts since comics are the most minor of my hobbies.

It's rather foolish to come onto a comics based site not to be excited about comics--but we've also had JC here for years and he looks like he will fit right in with that role

Mint and I had a decent discussion in Bronze in regards to which Bronze book he should buy--he had an outspoken position there as well. I'm fine with a contrarian view here to keep all of us "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" people here in check. Personally I think mint needs to understand that there's simply a lot of folks here who just LOVE comics (like myself) and not really into the whole investment part of it--some of his assumptions that we are all here just for the money just makes me sad really--but if that's his gig then all means he should be able to talk about it--respectfully and in consideration of others who don't necessarily carry the same view. And that goes both ways, folks..

I use Wikipedia...where everyone can add their facts....because they believe it to be true.

That wasn't as long winded as I expected. TRULY disappointing.

But back to the REAL subject at hand, I think that CGC will be here in the long run. They are backed by a much larger company, NCG, who is the world's top coin and currency grader.

I am sorry, but I have to respond to this.

First you state: "I use Wikipedia...where everyone can add their facts....because they believe it to be true."

Then you state: They are backed by a much larger company, NCG, who is the world's top coin and currency grader."

No my friend, NGC grades coins. PMG grades currency. There is NO NCG!

And they are controlled by a parent company the Collector's Society.

CGC is OWNED by NGC....

I typed too fast......so there.

And the Wikipedia was a joke stab at you :facepalm:

Go back to Wall Street Land, and drink TWO cups of coffee before posting.

"Welcome to the Collectors Society

This vibrant online community supports collectors across the world by providing members with exclusive resources and showcasing remarkable collections. Membership is open to coin, note and comic enthusiasts of all levels."

-taken from the HOME PAGE...

Really? Does NCG [sIC] grade currency too? You left out PMG.

Direct from the home page. NGC is NOT the parent company of CGC. Please admit you are wrong and save some face after advising me I SHOULD STOP COLLECTING COMIC BOOKS!

It's rather foolish to come onto a comics based site not to be excited about comics--but we've also had JC here for years and he looks like he will fit right in with that role

(thumbs u

Personally I think mint needs to understand that there's simply a lot of folks here who just LOVE comics (like myself) and not really into the whole investment part of it--some of his assumptions that we are all here just for the money just makes me sad really--but if that's his gig then all means he should be able to talk about it--respectfully and in consideration of others who don't necessarily carry the same view.

Yea so I agree with this post and question why can’t it be as simple as many people love to COLLECT comics for the passion and excitement of it? It seems that “value” and “investment” has to always be injected into what is a hobby for most of us. I participate in two other coin forums and there are those members who also do the same in those forums, they forget that the majority of others are into collecting coins for the pleasure of collecting and are always bringing up “investments”

Of course years down the road I guess we would all like to see our collections increase in value but as one previous member stated “anything collected is speculative, not just comics” and I totally agree.

When it comes to investing in collectibles, it is a speculative play but so is investing money into ANYTHING including (not limited to) stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc … Any collectible, just as any investment is subject to volatility, especially in uncertain economic times as the world is in right now.

In regards to CGC opening other facilities … I don’t see that as an unrealistic possibility as their sister company NGC has already opened up coin grading facilities in other countries to keep up with demand. Who knows, maybe CGC is considering this as well.

I am going to answer this question from another perspective. I understand that most people here think that comic books are a top tier collectible and extremely popular, but the truth of the matter is, they do not even rank in the top ten of all items collected. I have shown documentation on this and mentioned this in multiple threads so I will not visit topic this again. This is not the topic I am attempting to discuss in this regard.

That being said, one of the main reason CGC has not seen any 'aggresssive' competition (I do not consider PGX to be on the same playing field as CGC due to a lack of consumer confidence); is because it would take a consider amount of capital to get into this limited market (note: it took CGC well over ten years to encapsulate two million books and this included resubs). It is like an oligopoly. Oligopoly being the key word. One must look at the total number of collectors versus the size of the overall market. I am asking in general; can the market support two major third party grading companies without causing mass confusion? Keep in mind the comic book hobby cannot even come together on a working definition of something as simple as 'pressing.'

The barrier to entry and the cost to gain collector's confidence in the marketplace is very high. This is why a company already established in third party grading (i.e. The Collector's Society) chose to enter; and at the time, enter alone.

That being said, I am NOT naive enough to think it can't or won't happen. All I am saying (and I have said this before) sometimes 'tunnel vision' prevents us from looking at the 'big picture.'

However, ONE could also ask why the Collector's Society has not branched off into other collecting realms that are not already being graded and encapsultaed? Unfortunately, by answering the initial question asked; I also answered that question as well (size of market, cost of entering, analysis of pursuing the chosen enterprise, etc.).

In conclusion, please understand that I am unbiased collector and dealer who has my 'hands' in most aspects of the ANTIQUES AND COLLECTIBLES trade. Therefore, my opinion is based on an analysis of the market from a much broader angle. I am sure many will disagree as a result.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

I agree...barriers to entry and a limited market share gain is preventing competition. Also, CGC has had a decade to be the "standard"...and as you say we can't even agree on some of the basics.

Wall Street Journal did an article that explained why collecting comics is the only collectible that has sustained some sort of value throughout the years.

Look at sport cards...they fell out of the face of the earth in the late 90s.

Find me a collectible that was released six years ago that still gaining monitory value.

And you want to talk to me about 'investment.' Please read your above stated post!

"To many collectors here on this site, their comics books are their grails. They treasure each issue with the hopes of gaining some value in the near future. Some even wish to pass on this legacy to their children, I know I intend to do the same with my son. By you coming here and pointing out statistics and articles as to why comic books are nothing than a "hobby", or an impulse (Not your words, mine), is an insult to those collectors who hold value to their hobby"

-God of Thunder.

These are YOUR words and you are scolding me for downplaying investment potential and talk of gains. Please dispute this. These are your OWN words!

OK. I'll just be the one to ask. What happened to the other 15 pages of this thread? It was at page 27, now it's page 12. Is there a glitch - or did the moderator(s) take an issue with something said?

Did the "top ten" ever surface? lol

All the posts regarding the need for competition as a means to creating a competitive marketplace and the improvement of standards in the industry have been deleted.

That is all gone along with a certain post I wrote concerning Metropolis Comics and their inventory of third party graded books which I guess I should not repeat.