• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Mylar Bags and Backer Board Combo

59 posts in this topic

So I've decided it is time to move my silver age books to Mylar. I've been thinking about it for about a year. I didn't really start compiling a decent amount of Silver Age stuff until recently, but I still see some acid marks on boards when I'm re-reading some of the older stuff.

What is the best combo of backer boards and mylar bags people would recommend? I've seen recommendations for bags, but never a combo. I want to do this right. Nothing annoys me more than a bag and board that are not cut for one another.

I've used BCW poly bags and boards for a long time. Would BCW Mylar 2 and boards be a good way to go?

Any recommendations would be great. Sorry if this has been discussed. Search function didn't reveal any discussions outside of Poly vs Mylar. I want a specefic brand though!

My recommendation is to buy your product from hotflips, I have bought a bunch of mylars and backing from them and been very happy with their service and product. I bought the gold/silver size mylites 2 #775M2 with the with the flap and the matching full back inserts #750FB.

I have about 2000 comics in them, they are great. My 2 cents.

Jason

OP is in Baltimore. Gerber is in Baltimore. You can order directly from Gerber and I assume pick up without paying the expensive shipping charges for heavy boards.

Do NOT use BCW boards on any comics which you want to preserve the page quality.

edit: I guess it is possible that they may not allow pickup for retail sales. Call them Monday and ask.

The E.Gerber Mylites combo pack with bags/boards from Jeff at Hot Flips is what I use.

Hot Flips service is fast, convenient and Jeff has great customer service …

$24.50 for the combo of 50 bags/boards

Im guessing you havent even looked at Hotflips website have you?

For those of you who havent, Hotflips (who are boardies and great people) carry a full line of products.

E. Gerber being one of them

You guessed correct. I have not checked that website. I've only purchased direct from E. Gerber in the past and not through a secondary vendor.

It would be interesting to get a price comparison between buying direct from the manufacturer E. Gerber and through the company Hotflips.

Perhaps it's cheaper to order through Hotflips?

Thanks for the information. I'll check the website out.

E. Gerber or bust. No comparison IMO! :headbang:

http://www.egerber.com/

Can you order directly from this site? I'm not sure you can...

I believe I did mine via phone and e-mail. Not a big deal. I don't order this stuff every week. And btw, this is also where I get my CGC storage boxes.

You can not order directly from the website.

You must actually extend yourself, dial their number, call them up and place the order.

I have my credit card on file with them, and ordering is a snap. Sales people are very nice, friendly and helpful. They access my account on their system, and all my shipping information and ordering history is available.

Making a phone call seems to be a barrier for many lazy bums.

Well worth the savings IMO to make a 2 minute phone call. :whistle:

You must actually extend yourself, dial their number, call them up and place the order.

I have my credit card on file with them, and ordering is a snap. Sales people are very nice, friendly and helpful. They access my account on their system, and all my shipping information and ordering history is available.

Are you really calling me a lazy bum because I didn't see a way to order online?

I just fax my order into egerber - works great. If you live on the west coast, they are usually the cheap way to go because they use a universal shipping charge that equates to savings on the west coast.